The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a double regional SCCA at ACS Jun 6/7 wknd - I'll be racing my SRF.

But I wanted to give a shout out to Kelley! :coolnana:
She is signed up to race this SCCA event in her Lotus Exige Cup car!!!!

Go Kelley! Hopefully many more race with their Lotus' in SCCA (I need a cage - then I'll start double dipping in these events).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Have fun! And remember, the trick to the chicanes is to hold tight to the first apex so you get a good exit out of the second part of it.

We'll be up in Fernley doing the fastest little track in the West :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See you there Kelley, Jacob, and Andy....

Thanks in advance Jacob for the Chasecam...I'll post some vids....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Last I heard Kelley will be at Spring Mountain this weekend, instead of Fontana.
I'll be taking my yellow Lotus to Spring Mountain to run Sunday, maybe Monday and then leave in my garage there.

Scott Bradley from Standing Start will be in LA area and availalble for coaching at Fontana if anyone is interested. I can highly recommend him as instructor and test driver. Also he is an instructor willing to give fast drive with a passenger. He turned a 1:58 at BW during 1st LCS session last Sunday with me as passenger. Very helpful to get a ride from a faster driver. A lot of instructors turn the same time as me when we each drive with passengers, but then they go faster than me when on their own and leave me wondering where they find the extra speed.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awwww....ok, saw Kelley's name on the registration list....

Oh well, it was a tough race, as it was sprinkling throughout the race.

I was last in the grid amongst the SRF'ers. I was having a good race with Don Edwards from Paladin through the middle of the race....he was leading in the beginning.
I was drafting behind him on the oval.
As we both approached the turn from the oval into the infield, he broke late and spun - I had to lift and also spun. I was able to get on track before him and took the lead into the 180 turn, then down the kink towards the hairpin.
I should have known that after the spin my tires would be hot, and that my adrenaline was rushing. As a result, I spun in the hairpin - did a 180 ended up facing Don, and he barely clipped my nose.
At that point, I just drove to finish the race. It was tough to find the limits of the car in the sprinkling rain, but it was fun nevertheless.

Better luck tomorrow!

I'm going to eat some Korean BBQ now...:drool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
At least crash damage in the SFR cheaper than if in your Lotus.
Good luck tomorrow.

Very rare to have rain this time of year in Southrn CA.
Stranger still is forcast of only 79 F for a high here in Pahrump tomorrow!
Sounds like Jim might make it out tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
And in Fernley, I got as high as 53...and we raced in the rain. Real rain. First time I've run on the rain tires. Hopefully everyone will have a warmer day today!

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of crashes.
We had cars get swallowed up by turn 16's tire wall taking out a tail and crunching up a car.
Jon french ended up crunching his radiator, but he may race today.Kyle missed a shift in qualifying and replaced his engine to make the race.

Last lap of the race Denny and Aaron were neck and neck. They clipped each other at the kink before the hairpin, both spun.
1 mark, 2 Craig, 3 Aaron.

On my way and its sprinkling again, great!

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right, weather cleared up. Qualified a little better with a 2:03.464 compared to 2:05 yest. Fastest qualifying time is 159.375.
My grid position is 11th out of 12.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Eddie, it was good to see you have fun out on the track!!! :clap: :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
All right, weather cleared up. Qualified a little better with a 2:03.464 compared to 2:05 yest. Fastest qualifying time is 159.375.
My grid position is 11th out of 12.
You're running the same ROVAL we ran with SV? Interesting to compare the SRF times to our Lotus.

So, how'd you do? :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patrick,....thanks for coming out, and supporting me!
Those pics. are great!

Also, thanks Jacob for letting me borrow the Chasecam, and for coming out for Sat.'s race.

As far as the race is concerned, I started 11th and finished 11th out of 12. At the start of the race, I got a jump on Rick Webking and I was in 10th....I was trying to keep up with Jon French (who fixed his radiator), but he and the leaders gradually pull away. After a few laps, Rick catches up and passes me.
Then, a FF divebombs me (see vid) in turn 16 - the most important turn of the race. I lose all momentum into the Oval. I get flustered and from the Oval into the infield, I brake too deep, spin and almost hit the wall.....very lucky!

The rest of the race, Don Edwards was behind me and inching up on me lap by lap....At the end of the race he catches up and I beat him by a nose at the checkered flag.

The one thing about this track is that the drafting is tremendous and crucial to stay fast. On a practice session, Mark B. was literally pushing me on the oval, and this way the 2 cars can go faster by a few mph....you can really feel the drafting in these cars.

Here is the close call:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3onI1sACK4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3onI1sACK4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
... I get flustered and from the Oval into the infield, I brake too deep, spin and almost hit the wall.....very lucky!...
What do you think caused the spin Eddie? Normally if you wound up braking too deep and turning in, I would have expected the rear to step out to the right... it looks like you might have had a bit too much rear brake bias, and it stepped out to the left... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you think caused the spin Eddie? Normally if you wound up braking too deep and turning in, I would have expected the rear to step out to the right... it looks like you might have had a bit too much rear brake bias, and it stepped out to the left... :shrug:
I think what happened was as I was downshifting from 5 to 4 to 3, I let the clutch up too quick without a rev match, and that upset the car. In these cars, a lot of guys don't heel/toe rev match, and usually it's fine. In this case, I didn't time it right.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I think what happened was as I was downshifting from 5 to 4 to 3, I let the clutch up too quick without a rev match, and that upset the car. In these cars, a lot of guys don't heel/toe rev match, and usually it's fine. In this case, I didn't time it right.
Ah, OK... that causes a similar condition to having too much rear bias, i.e. puts more "braking" load on the rear wheels...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The front clam latch... you should get that checked. It looks scary at a high speed...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts