The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 8 of us who registered this weekend at Streets of Willow for our SCCA license.
Thanks, Jim, for helping us set this up...we wish you were here.

There is quite a bit of paperwork involved...most of us tech'd. our cars today, and there was a long evening instructional meeting tonight.

The weekend schedule looks pretty intense, we'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm headed for SCCA school as well... in March at PIR in a spec racer ford.

I'll be interested to hear what your experience is/was. My first regional is the day after the school :D

subscribed!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Doc, i didnt think you had your lotus was race prep'd (by race prep'd i mean the usual safety for competition racing)?? or did you guys get special privileges to work around those??

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes SCCA made a special case for us in the lotus challenge series. We'll be receiving a license but in order to compete in SCCA we'd have to install the proper safety equipment - roll cage, window net, fire suppression, etc.

So far the first day for us was pretty much an open track day with open passing. We were split up into groups with instructors which was pretty subjective.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
From several accounts i hear you all had alot of track time. Most importanly you all passed. That was step 1 and now the decison to race prep your car is upon you. Kirt from Hypersport will be at our March 28-29 lcs event at spring mountain. He is the factory roll cage builder for lotus cars usa. He will be at the track discusing your options relating to the level of protection you may want. Congrats to all. Jim :panic:

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim!
Yes, eveyone got their SCCA certificates...

There was a ton of track time...the 2nd day was pretty much a track day with 2 sessions alternating between open wheel group and closed wheel group. The 8 Lotus' were classed with the open wheel group where there were only 2 other formula cars.

In the afternoon sessions, we practiced different starts with pace cars and pace laps leading up to sprint races....that was a blast!

It was fun seeing everyone out there having fun...
Rob driving in 4th gear the whole time until the sprint races of which he took 2nd (1st out of the Lotus')
Glen is ready for W2W with all of his passing.
John had some good fights with Glen, followed by some spins in the sprint race
Kelley was smooth the whole way
Norm's 211 is a beast on the straights
Peter did a great job in his 2nd event
Mark and I got mixed up by our instructor in our orange cars...instructor was telling him (me) to slow down, and telling me (him) to go for passes...we got this straightened out on the 2nd day.
Thanks to Mike for teching our cars!

Learning passing techniques and different racing lines is a whole different level.
All in all, a good experience and really makes you want to do W2W.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
nice! sounds like you guys had tons of fun - Eddie how did your car feel after fresh rubber and correct suspension settings?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats to everyone, nice work... I wish I could have participated, but I had to be in NY...

On the plus side, while here in NY, I did find this... (does it still count Jim?)
Boy, Andy, that license looks a little raggedy there...rotfl
I think that license will be valid for the LCS W2W....only thing is we have to see what safety requirements Jim and Rob want us to have on our cars for W2W - assuming the cage, etc....

nice! sounds like you guys had tons of fun - Eddie how did your car feel after fresh rubber and correct suspension settings?
Car feels better...biggest thing was Brent replacing the throttle cable.

I desperately need lessons from Craig...in the sprint race, Robb, Glen, and John were duking it out. I was right behind them....then John spun out, so I was behind Rob and Glen, but they slowly pulled away....it was a 5 lap race on the short config. of SOW (no bowl).

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
March 6th! can't wait...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm grumpier about my performance during the races, or the 6 hour / 200 mi. drive home (ramp on to I-15 was nearly a 2-hour wait and 215 was shut down b/c of a sinkhole).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks Jim!
Yes, eveyone got their SCCA certificates...
EXCEPT ME!!! :shrug::sad: My instructor flunked me because I was slow. I got great scores on my evaluation, but he said I was just too slow. :sad: I am thinking of protesting, since it was a school and not a race. Someone has to to be last, right???

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
EXCEPT ME!!! :shrug::sad: My instructor flunked me because I was slow. I got great scores on my evaluation, but he said I was just too slow. :sad: I am thinking of protesting, since it was a school and not a race. Someone has to to be last, right???
Sorry to hear that, Pete. It's surprising in one sense since you seemed to understand the course work they presented and do a good job on the track given your experience level. On the other hand, you were perhaps overly prudent and green for a racing environment. I mean that in the most respectful way and since I know you are only on the second track outing, my hat's off to you for trying. Those teachers have seen a lot of newbies and I'm sure they excercise similar judgement on them just to keep SCCA out of court. I think a year of track days will show you exactly why it wouldn't be prudent to license you for SCCA or put you in a situation where you could hurt yourself and others. Personally, I didn't have half the nerve you had to sign up for the school after my 1st track day! :bow:

See you at the next LCS Event hopefully. Stick with LCS for a year and you'll really see huge improvements in your skills- guaranteed!

Had an awesome time with everyone this weekend! It was a grueling schedule, but I really appreciated the open passing rules - Jack knows how much I dislike waiting for point by's. I say we break LCS into two ability groups and allow open passing. Speedventures and Redline allow it in their red groups. Why not LCS?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Pete,
Sorry to hear that but a season of driving with us will certainly improve your driving skills. The instructors have a difficult job in accessing everyones ability to determine who is going be ready to go w2w. Do not give up, use this experience to improve. See you at Pahrump March 28-29.
Glen i heard you were a mad men passing out there. At our private events we could certainly entertain the idea of open passing. When we have one run group like smmp it would be difficult to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
LCS/SCCA PHOTOS

HERE'S SOME GREAT PHOTO'S YOU CAN LOOK AT OR DOWNLOAD, THEY ARE FULL SIZE.
WE HAD A SERIOUS BLAST AT THE STREETS!:shift:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You did the SCCA school as your second track event ever? Damn...you have some large cojones my friend! My second track day was - me thinking I knew something and spinning about going backwards out of the bus stop at Buttonwillow. I am sure you learned a ton, and really learning in that environment from the get go is very smart. Hope to see you soon Pete!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Glen i heard you were a mad men passing out there. At our private events we could certainly entertain the idea of open passing. When we have one run group like smmp it would be difficult to do.
Yes he was, but it was a lot of fun. The only highlight of the weekend was going at it head-to-head with Glen on a few sessions (although he was a bit faster than me in the corners) - there was one where I think we swapped positions 3 times in one lap (reminded me of a motorcycle race). I think we should entertain open passing with a point by - as long as everybody is comfortable with it. It really does make the event much more fun, and I think most of us are comfortable enough with each others driving to consider it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is JMO. Unless you are ready to write your car off as a total loss, I would think twice about racing it.

That is what one of our instructors told us when I first started. Yes...he was right. Man...was he. During my first year I saw 2 write-offs in 2 of the 3 classes I was racing. I had sponsors, but I was the main dog. $$$$. One of the current pro racers, who was a teenager then, was my pit crew in the Mazda venture.

I won a bunch of Nationals, was invited to the Runoffs (top 3 drivers in your class got the invite) and got punted off the course...rear ended...more than one time. After 2 races, the cars fenders were hit on both sides, guys later said they were "losing their brakes." :rolleyes: A "sorry" didn't pay for the repairs. And with the SCCA, at least then, you couldn't show up with a dented or messed car.

If it was a glass Lotus, I would have been screwed. Less skilled and non-thinking drivers, thought they would dive inside me at the last moment and take the turn with only one wheel on the marbles and the rest of the car in the dirt ...blah, blah,...lots of crazy and dangerous moves. One was even flagged for his BS antics. Guess he thought he was Parnelli J. Again, if driving a Lotus...pull over and park it...instead of continuing to race. Unless, you can afford to write-it-off.

When three or four cars are approaching a 2 car MAX turn, there's a good possibility that someone is going to get crunched. The Lotus is not a real good car for "crunch" type racing. Either end, just a slight tap and your into mega $$. Definitely not to be used as a "race car" and daily driver under those conditions. Accept the possibility of your baby being in for repairs a lot, if you want to be one of the top finishers race after race. And NONE of the time-outs may be due to your driving skills! I'd venture that every driver out there is an Alpha male or female......or both! rotfl Couldn't be serious for too long.

Trailer it...because if you're really racing something will happen to disable you. Either you will break something or someone will break you...unless you're car is like Bruce Willis in the movie "Unbreakable."

Again JMO...I think if you really don't want to waste your Elise/Exige get something you can ball up and walk away from, then kick back and say, "Can't wait 'til the next race at Laguna, it should be fixed by then."

Like the instructor said years ago, think about whether you can lose your car and forget about it. Does anyone agree...or am I just blowing smoke?

Anyway, good luck to everyone. HTH

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think a VERY important question that when "racing" is whether you are racing in the vintage sense (where it is still very much for the fun of being out there, but it is strictly non-contact), or racing in the competition sense.

Both groups have a lot of fun. However, in vintage, one fundamentally accepts that they will often be stuck behind slower cars and not "win" against poorer driving skills. You "win" in vintage by just being out on the track. (paradoxically, because of the risks go up when the overtaken driver has less experience, it's actually much tougher to get around the cars that are a lot slower than it is the cars that are a little slower).

In competition racing, people (yourself included!) you get a little red mist from time to time, or just plain get caught out by chance.

I've had contact where I held the racing line I was entitled to use, and it turns out the other driver didn't think I was there...and whack!

I've also had contact coming up on much slower traffic (remember how I mentioned that can be risky!)...a new rookie who spun in front of me, and because I wanted to get by and was thereby really close to him (because he wasn't looking in his mirrors to just let me by) so I could pass him down the straight...whack! I collected him.

These are just things to think about.

Steve

1 - 20 of 41 Posts