The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to a SCCA event - 1st time taking the elise anywhere. do I need to buy a helmet or will they have them to use? What else is normal to bring that I might be missing... (will bring water and such).

Hoping for a easy event without hiccups -- so I can move on to tracking and such.

for all those interested;

Date: 08/04/2012
Details: Looking for a TON of seat time? There will be a practice event on August 4th at the Houston Police Academy. Never been to a practice? You'll get at least 10 runs (sometimes up to 20) for $50 and you'll only need to work 1 hour. Sign up today! Spots are limited to 50. Registration closes July 28th and event may be cancelled if it is not fully booked.

URL: SowDiv SCCA - Events Calendar

Thanks all,

Michael

·
Registered
153 Posts
There will usually be someone who will loan you a helmet.

You might as well buy your own though, because you will be going back. Trust us.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
houscca has loaners, but they are a bit nasty. IF you have a Balaclava from track 21 or something, I would bring it.

Let me know if you get hooked and are in the market for an XL helmet after the event. I have 2 more of less identical helmets. I had just bought an open face for autocross, but then I had to buy a closeface for lemons. The open face has been worn 2x and I was thinking about ebaying it soon

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've done a lot of events at the Houston Police Academy, so here is my 2 cents;
It will be 90 - 100 degrees F with what 65% humidity, do you really want to share a helmet that has been profusely sweated in????
Go by one and be glad you did. Make sure it is Snell 2010 rated.
Take a large cooler with lots of ice and water!
Take food
Wear a hat and take sunscreen!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

when i first saw the event, i was hoping it was more like a grand theft auto type event. try to outrun the police and if they catch up to you, you lose.

the racing between cones sounds fun too, so I will try that out. I'll most likely invest in a helmet. :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Don't buy a helmet from a motorcycle shop. While probably legal for this event, it may not be for more formal events.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I've done a lot of events at the Houston Police Academy, so here is my 2 cents;
It will be 90 - 100 degrees F with what 65% humidity, do you really want to share a helmet that has been profusely sweated in????
Go by one and be glad you did. Make sure it is Snell 2010 rated.
Take a large cooler with lots of ice and water!
Take food
Wear a hat and take sunscreen!
What he said.

Get a helmet, because dealing with loaners is a pain. Get the newest Snell M or SA helmet you can find. Be sure to try on the very helmet you are buying, not a sample. Remember to look at the inside of the helmet for the Snell label, as tech inspectors tend to ignore the stickers on the outside of the hat.

Check with the Region now and see if they, or the local council, issue permanent car numbers. Get one. The two greatest ways to avoid hassle at an event are to have your own helmet and your own numbers setup ready.

Once you get your permanent car number reserved, you will need to plan how you will get them on the car. One each side, 8 inches tall. I use a static-cling product that unfortunately I had to buy locally by the roll. Steel-car owners have all the luck: The heavy-duty magnetic material lasts for decades and is easy to use.

The static-cling is white, and the black vinyl letters are made from 3M Control Tac with Comply. That "Comply" part is really cool; little air channels that make it impossible to trap an air bubble. Do NOT get 3M Scotchcal: It is VERY unforgiving and using it on the lightweight static-cling will soon have you swearing a blue streak.

You can also use vinyl material for the base field. Be sure there is LOTS of wax on your car door. You can also pass the field across your blue jeans a couple of times to knock down the stickiness.

I don't recommend putting numbers directly on the car, as they don't stay on as well with the higher ratio of edge to area. Also they are harder to reuse than fields, and don't play well with the blue-jean trick. Importantly, using a field lets you get that great black/white contrast regardless of car color. Don't depend on color contrast, florescent colors or chrome finishes: Tests by the military confirm that it is monochrome reflectance values that count. You are guaranteed top marks from the Timing/Scoring crew if you go black/white, and you want to keep those folks happy. You don't want to hear the kind of comments they make in the trailer about bad numbers. See my avatar for numbers they love.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Don't buy a helmet from a motorcycle shop. While probably legal for this event, it may not be for more formal events.
The Solo Nationals are as formal as you can get, and a Snell M helmet is welcome. He's referring to racing and track-day events. Virtually all car racing will require an SA helmet. Some big tracks will require them for track days. If you will be doing track days this year, check with the organizers. If you are going to do big tracks "someday", just go M now, as the price and availability of SA helmets is very different than M units.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Oh, by the way: Say "Hi" to The Real Roger Johnson (Sheepless from Seattle, now in Houston) for me!

Phil Ethier in Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
will he be there? i'll tell him hello if so. :)
Ask around. He is definately a "known" person in Solo circles, even though he calls the other guy "The Famous Roger Johnson".

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what would he be driving? lotus (color)?

i don't want to walk around randomly asking people their names. :)

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
what would he be driving? lotus (color)?

i don't want to walk around randomly asking people their names. :)
Usta be a Camaro with the kind of paint job only someone as artistic as Roger would drive. The pattern continued across the side windows.

But that was long ago.

Seriously, if you ask someone to point out The Real Roger Johnson, they will know who you mean. Roger has designed many courses for the SCCA Solo Nationals.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Just get some masking tape or bingo marker for your numbers. At the events we have usually there is some to use, but I try to bring my own anyway. Don't HAVE to get all fancy with custom decals and what not.

Might want to get in touch with the head person that will be doing the even and find out if there are anything specific you need. Some clubs require a fire bottle, race harness, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Just get some masking tape or bingo marker for your numbers. At the events we have usually there is some to use, but I try to bring my own anyway. Don't HAVE to get all fancy with custom decals and what not.
Not fancy. Plain and legible. Try working in the timing trailer for 1000 runs a day. I've seen people's attitudes about car identification change in a hurry when they had to deal with it.
Might want to get in touch with the head person that will be doing the even and find out if there are anything specific you need. Some clubs require a fire bottle, race harness, etc.
Seriously?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Masking tape or bingo marker is plain and legible as well, not to mention nearly free. Most cars just have that with our events. The decal like you have on is easy to see, I had some made... it took a couple weeks to get them are they weren't very cheap either. (around $100)

Not sure what you mean by "seriously". I have been to some events that the windows had to stay up and needed full face helmet or safety glasses, others that the windows could be down. Some that required floor mats to be removed, fire extinguisher in the car within reach of driver, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Masking tape or bingo marker is plain and legible as well, not to mention nearly free. Most cars just have that with our events. The decal like you have on is easy to see, I had some made... it took a couple weeks to get them are they weren't very cheap either. (around $100)
LOL. If someone offered me 100 bucks to make them a set of these, I'd probabably break my leg trying to get to the basement fast enough.

Not sure what you mean by "seriously". I have been to some events that the windows had to stay up and needed full face helmet or safety glasses, others that the windows could be down. Some that required floor mats to be removed, fire extinguisher in the car within reach of driver, etc.
Floor mats removal is common. All that other stuff is track-day stuff. In fact, I've never been to a track day that required all that stuff. Where are they running low-speed autocrosses that require these?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good to hear. i'll take the mats out prior to heading over there.

The car came with 5-pt harness, so that should be okay. (also has normal seat belt, so I can choose at the time -- i haven't adjusted the 5-pt yet to me, just leave it to the side.)

unfortunately I don't have an extinguisher. Will deal with that if it is an issue at the event.

i'll probably just do blue tape for the numbers. Posting a pic of the car so you guys can imagine a blue number on the side. :)

here is what the SCCA event person emailed me the other day.

"I dug through our forum post for this list of stuff that we all tend to get in the habit of bringing. This is a lot of stuff, just peruse through it for things that you might want to bring along. I have in red the MUST haves.

Basics
Wear closed-toe shoes
Bring plenty of water
Bring helmet (if you have one. If not, there are free loaners available)
Bring headsock (if you have one, and you don't have a helmet; the loaners can get "wet"...)
Bring cash (we do not have change at the practices & you may want to buy lunch)
If you wear glasses/contacts, bring a "backup" in case you break/lose one
Bring some aspirin (Autocrossing + headache = NOT FUN)
Bring extra tire lug nuts (if you have them)

Be Prepared For All Possible Weather Conditions
Bring an umbrella
Bring a waterproof jacket
Bring something to protect your belongings from the rain (A trashbag will suffice)
Bring a hat
Bring sunglasses
Bring sunblock
Bring a spare long sleeve shirt
Bring some gloves
"

thanks to everyone for the info so far. I'm looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
>unfortunately I don't have an extinguisher. Will deal with that if it is an issue at the event.

I don't expect that will be required.

> i'll probably just do blue tape for the numbers. Posting a pic of the car so you guys can imagine a blue number on the side. :)

Blue tape on a silver car is not good. Try black and try white and see which one pops better.

>Bring extra tire lug nuts (if you have them)

New one on me.

>Bring something to protect your belongings from the rain (A trashbag will suffice)

Plastic trash bags don't do as well in the rain as you might think. See if you can fine a tub that fits in the car. I have two smallish tubs that fit fine in the Elise trunk. They came through a serious downpour recently, all dry inside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts