The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposal to allow the supercharged cars to play in Super Stock starting in 2009.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be noted that there is a discussion to revamp the stock classing system. All just rumors mostly for those not on the board, but what we have heard is that the classing is going to be revamped. Expect to see a new Uber Super Stock and then a class below it.

Does that change anything? I don't know. Would the NA Elise move? Maybe, but I have some doubts.

For 2009, what does this mean? If it passes, the 2009 SS winner should be an Elise SC (or maybe an Exige S).

Good for the SC or S owners, not so good for NA car owners.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It should be noted that there is a discussion to revamp the stock classing system. All just rumors mostly for those not on the board, but what we have heard is that the classing is going to be revamped. Expect to see a new Uber Super Stock and then a class below it.

Does that change anything? I don't know. Would the NA Elise move? Maybe, but I have some doubts.

For 2009, what does this mean? If it passes, the 2009 SS winner should be an Elise SC (or maybe an Exige S).

update/backdate.:) maybe???

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not in Stock classes. Take your N/A Elise and Exige cars to the track because they'll be obsolete in SS SCCA autox. Unless you write your letters....
Well... not really obsolete. You know you are overstating this a bit. :) For regional and local stuff, this will not make any difference. For national though, yeah... sorry. If it was me, and I was still running the 2005 in SCCA in SS, I would sell it and buy an Elise SC.

·
Registered
101 Posts
no kidding. :cool: That's make me think I should take the car to Kansas again before it walks the path of the RX-7TT next year? :wallbang: Sad day.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old rule I was told from MANY years ago, was enjoy stock class for 3-4 years max for any one car. Time marches on and newer/faster cars will need to be classed. An old racer told me, that stock class in SCCA can be quite expensive since you will need to trade up cars every few years. Unless you run in ES.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The old rule I was told from MANY years ago, was enjoy stock class for 3-4 years max for any one car.
I thought rule should come up to progress too. :p I guess not.

But until this is final we won't know right? There are still hopes for the uber SS class where some of these new cars go.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought rule should come up to progress too. :p I guess not.

But until this is final we won't know right? There are still hopes for the uber SS class where some of these new cars go.

This is just "out for member comment" and many things get withdrawn.

Even if it does pass (or not) then the following year, things can still be shaken up.

To me, plan your campaign based on 2008 only. Wait a few months to see what is in store for 2009. Assume that anything in 2009 is temporary, but maybe it will give you some guidelines for 2010+.

As I said, if it was me, and I still drove a 2005 in SS... I would plan on swapping the go-fast parts off of it and selling it after Nationals, and buying a SC Elise (or Exige S) and campaigning that for 2009 and hope for the best in 2010.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Don't think it's going to happen.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Those proposals went out for member comment this month to see what people think. In order for any change to happen for next year, the proposal has to be published in July to give people a chance to comment. What will actually happen depends on what the members who write in say about it, and on what sort of performance and participation level is displayed by various cars.

The SEB and SAC have to play "what if" a lot. One scenario that they/we are considering is what if the C6 Z06 turns out to be actually as fast as it originally seemed like it should be? Then the C5 Z06 and the NA Elise and the 996 GT3 become obsolete. But people love those cars and the SS participation shows it. What do we do then? The SAC has some ideas for 2010 that should be published in the next Fastrack.

If there was a class for the SS also-rans...the new German cars like the Cayman S and the M Coupe, perhaps the 5th generation non-Z06 Corvettes...would anyone come out and run that? What other cars would fit into that class?

If there were a stock class for the supercharged Elise/Exige, the 997 GT3, the F430, the Ford GT, the Audi R8, the 2008 Viper...would any of those cars show up to events?

Anyway, look for the Fastrack next month and be sure to write in with your thoughts...preferably somewhat detailed thoughts, not just "you guys are off your collective rockers!"

·
Registered
487 Posts
So I see that in 2008 the base Exige no longer exists and is replaced by three models: S, S-240, and Club Racer.

How many of each of these models will be available in the US?

And what's the difference between the models?

Are they all class killers for the N/A Elise?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The 2009 Exige 240 is the same as the 2008 Exige S. The 2009 Exige S gets the same 220HP tuning as the 2009 Elise SC. That totally makes sense, right?

·
Registered
487 Posts
The 2009 Exige 240 is the same as the 2008 Exige S. The 2009 Exige S gets the same 220HP tuning as the 2009 Elise SC. That totally makes sense, right?
From what I've read the Exige S-240 gets 240hp, hence the name (mostly from a larger intake) and drops 40lbs over the Exige S.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Who cares? Whatever SC Lotus is the best will dominate that class. Oh, sure, the 997 will have a say. Maybe the Viper will with bigger rubber. The question that really remains is whether the existing SS class will stay intact with a new designation. My guess is yes, and all of the hub bub is for nothing really, at least at the AS/SS level. ITR owners and Subie owners have a grumble, that's about it. And I believe the ITR could be put in ES and be competitive without being an overdog. It would help the class, actually, and ITR owners would still be able to campaign their cars with a chance.

Now IF current SS gets obliterated, then maybe that's not a good thing. After all, it was the most popular class in Solo racing. And for that reason alone I can't imagine the governing bodies demolishing it any more than they would demolish AS.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Interesting. I could have sworn that when the Exige S was originally announced, they claimed 240HP. Did Lotus "pull a Mazda"?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts