The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, been at Sebring Raceway for the SCCA World Challenge and to help support ALMS, Star Mazda, etc. So a bit out of the Internet loop. Got up at 1:00 AM pst to catch a flight back home. Ran into some crazy weather in Atlanta on the way. Flight was delayed and I did not get back to San Diego until almost noon on Saturday. Fortunately I ran in the last run group.

Went to the stadium to run my ex-Elise in ASP. Also running was car owner Jason Uyeda, a couple of Porsche GT3s, and a gaggle of Corvettes....and one older beautiful Elan from Arizona.

One Elise was running in SuperStock with two drivers and another Elise from Arizona was running in F-Prepared. Robert and Fred (and Diane) are running the car in XP (and XPL).

I did not get time to learn the course by walking and was running on little sleep and very new slippery tires, so my first run was PLUS SIX cones. I was moving the course down (while trying to scrub in the tires). I got conservative on my second run, and then laid down an okay run on the third go at it. A little disappointing because I think I should have went a little faster. The car could have done it. As it is, I am sitting in second place based on that last run.

Saturday results-
In Super Stock is the GT3s taking it so far. Jason Munchhof is sitting 6th a little over a second back. Sean Goodbody is dirty on all runs.

A Street Prepared-
Kevin Dietz out of Seattle (you can see him now on Speed in thge Bridgestone car on SETUP) is in first in a Z-06. I am in second place behind by 0.537 seconds. Jason is in 4th and the Elan is in 5th.

FP
In 3rd place (last trophy spot).

XP
Robert Puertas is in first and Fred is in 3rd.

XPL
Diane is winning but a one entrant class.

http://scca.com/eventresults.aspx?event=12307&hub=3

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Final results

Super Stock. Jason Munchhof had an excellent run and moved all the way up to second place, ahead of a very fast GT3 and a Viper. Sean Goodbody got some cleans run in on Sunday and moved to 7th place.

A Street Prepared. A bit of a roller coaster. For a while, I moved up into first place. Until the last couple runs in the class. The top three ended up Ken Motonishi in a Z-06, Kevin Dietz in a Z-06 and then me in the Elise. Jason Uyeda stayed in 4th place. The top three spots were only separated by less than 2/10ths of a second (0.171 seconds). My times were faster today than Dietz, but his lead from yesterday was too much. Uyeda had the fastest raw time in the Elise, but with a cone.

F Prepared. Dan stayed in 3rd, though he had during the middle of the runs moved up to second.

XP. The tires on the Frankenlotus were pretty gone (100 runs?) and Robert dropped to 3rd and Fred moved up to 2nd.

XPL. Diane won. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Vendor
3,177 Posts
Randy,

Great times! Thanks for the help with the contingency. Last time I bring crap tires to a national event, though up until a week ago I didn't think the car was gonna get done in time. Once again Diane beat me! :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I enjoyed the racing a lot. In ASP it was very close with awesome drivers, all coming down to that last run. A little frustrating for me to be winning and then to watch as the second drivers went. Plus the car was fast enough, I left too much time out there and to lose by less than 2/10ths of a second over 2 days.... oh well. :)

Sadly, that was probably my last time in the car. I know the new car owner will get more used to the car and there are more mods being planned to make the car even faster.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I enjoyed the racing a lot. In ASP it was very close with awesome drivers, all coming down to that last run. A little frustrating for me to be winning and then to watch as the second drivers went. Plus the car was fast enough, I left too much time out there and to lose by less than 2/10ths of a second over 2 days.... oh well. :)

Sadly, that was probably my last time in the car. I know the new car owner will get more used to the car and there are more mods being planned to make the car even faster.
Seriously? :( I was getting the impression that you were going to co-drive the car for the year.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously? :( I was getting the impression that you were going to co-drive the car for the year.
Never say never.. but I need to start working on the next car and Jason does not need a co-driver (for setup or sharing expenses). He let me drive the car as a favor, which I appreciate.

Here is the competition for my new car. Note the optional driver heater since the weather a little cool.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and a few more

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and...

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, nice job Randy. I was really impressed by the ASP times compared to SS. Guess it won't be so easy in ASP either. :eek:

So you weren't able to finagle an El Toro ride out of Jason? Last years course was great for the Elise... should be fun.

Oh, and you forgot the orange car:

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I had the orange pic too.

I am signed up to run Schenker's fast CSP Miata in the Pro in two weeks. It is not as easy to drive (not as nimble) but it is light and has a lot of power. The problem is just not being as used to it, so my expectations are just to have fun at the Pro.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saturday's run<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/06XY2ZGOGUY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/06XY2ZGOGUY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Love the supercharger whine. :) A bit of spin at the finish, but no harm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Uh, you guys must have run a different tour that I did. That looks like the 2/17 local event. ;)

I took a ride in the car that day, and all I remembered was how nice it sounded. I might post some of our tour vids later tonight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was thinking of running my Elise at the El Toro Pro Solo. I'd have to sign up as an alternate (if they have such a thing) as the entry list just capped at 200. Not sure if it's worth towing from northern CA. I've heard it's a fun event.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bet you could get in. It will be a blast!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just heard the limit will be increased to 225 entrants.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The results think you were in a Miata!

Seems like a nice turn out for lotus though, 12 other entrants, including a super 7, a couple elans and a bunch of 05 Elises out of 264 cars.

Looks like a lot of fun, I need to get to an event like this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts