The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its an 2005 elise that's been sitting outside for 3.5 years, seems decent enough. But it was towed there, so no keys and they're working on the paperwork. Whats the best plan to get a cheap key to see if it even runs? The tow company doesn't want to put in any effort, and I cant open the hatch without a key. Any workarounds?

Its in decent shape, few bumps and bruises. Assuming it runs, what are some rough values for it; registerable with paperwork, and no paperwork, track/parts car?

Hoping this works out
Thanks Fellas

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Check for damage to the underside, suspension, undertray. Tow yards are brutes

check to make sure the rules for proper ownership, a tow yard should know, but maybe not. Be sure

Absent underside damage, at the right price it could be just fine. Not get in and run fine.

It is a pig in a poke, you cannot start it, it might have drivetrain issues[why was it abandoned]

South of 15k I would think

locksmith can make a key I would think, bypassing the immobilizer is striaghtforward

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
45 Posts
Honestly, I would offer them $10K or less, with the car dropped off at a place I could work on it. The poor car has sat outside for 3+ years and ALL the rubber parts (bushings, hoses, etc) will be suspect. Who knows if mice have gotten into the wiring, or even what state the car was in, that had it towed in the first place. Good luck.

EDIT: I also wouldn't even worry about if it runs at this point. I would try to get the clams off, look at the state of things and then worry about starting the car. You might get lucky, but I would be checking the engine for signs of any issues, before even trying to start it. The gas will be bad, The fuel lines possibly clogged, and who knows what the oil looks like.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,143 Posts
You need an Elise expert to look at the car and give you a green light. Too many times could be wrong with the car.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Better snatch it before Hayes does!!😊

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Honestly, I think that would be a fun project car depending on the price! Sad to see it like this though :(

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
757 Posts
As others have said, your biggest concern is what the yard did to the underside of the car. Sufficient damage to the monocoque tub chassis makes it into a parts car even if it looks OK. I see front clamshell damage, which isn't rare at all, nor a huge warning sign in itself.

If it passes a chassis and suspension inspection, I'd assume the drivetrain is at least partially toast unless you can do a compression test and get it started before you buy. It'll be a salvage/reissued title, so expect that hit on value as well.

With those caveats, you're talking about a rolling chassis Elise with known bodywork damage and a salvage title: 10k-15k will recover the value in parts if you end up parting it out.

The good news is that the drivetrain is all Toyota, and parts can be had. Even if the synchros in the transmission are shot and the cylinder bores are scored you're still talking about $3-8k for a replacement used drivetrain or $10k+ for refurbed. Sale value of a good condition driver 2005 Elise with a salvage title is around $25k. You do the math.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help fellas. It’s on top of a container. Looks like it was put up there carefully. Not even a scratch underneath. I think the front bumper damage occurred when it was repossessed and that’s from the winch bridle. I called a dealer and asked about keys, but apparently they re-keyed some time ago but don’t have notes on which key. So either $750 for a complete lock set or I’m gonna try to bring a lock cylinder to a lock Smith. I tried to pop the hatch using the emergency pull handle inside and a coat hanger but the pull handle wasn’t connected anymore.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you don't end up buying it let me know? I'd love to make an offer on it. Currently looking for a project elise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it passes a chassis and suspension inspection, I'd assume the drivetrain is at least partially toast unless you can do a compression test and get it started before you buy. It'll be a salvage/reissued title, so expect that hit on value as well.omegle

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'd bet it has rats living off the wiring as well...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts