The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Acura NSX; 2001 Porsche Carrera 4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Above ref’d vehicle is currently up for auction on eBay. Advertised with rebuilt, Oklahoma title.

If worth making a run at it, what would be the number one might reasonably pay for this particular species?

Also, should an absence of the radiator shroud be of concern?

Thanks in advance,
Larry W.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,417 Posts
Got a link? I've bought a wrecked Exige S in the past (see thread in my signature) so happy to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I would want to look at the chassis, rare that the suspension took that good of a hit and did not affect chassis.
Was not really fixed completely or correctly, but absent chassis damage, it is not a deal killer, at the right price.

·
Administrator
1,560 Posts
At a minimum it sounds like it needs windshield, AC resistor pack clam off repair, Radiator shroud replacement, inspection of all parts on front end that were swapped with clam replacement, chassis inspection for straight and true.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Resistor pack isn't bad if the ad is to be trusted when it says all fan speeds work.

The control arms will buckle as shown in the ad, and this actually saves the chassis from a lot of impact - I sideswiped a guardrail on track and had all four arms fail, but the chassis was unscathed. That being said, I would request an alignment on the car before bidding. Heck, I'd even pay for it. If it can align to spec, it is most likely straight. The official straightness check is to use a laser and four alignment holes in the chassis, but that should only be needed if the car can't align.

The seller seems to be very up front about which shortcuts were taken. It bothers me that any were taken at all, but if you can confirm everything else was done right then it could be a decent buy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would stay away personally. The fact they didn't paint it or fix the ac is a red flag of laziness. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, thanks for all the responses to my query. To put this into a little more context about purchasing a ”budget” Elise, this my situation...

Bought an NSX back in 2012, before the market took off. Has gotten to a point that I no longer drive it with any regularity, but will likely stay in the family until I go off to the hereafter. I don’t consider it an investment by any means, though pride of ownership does have value to me.

No garage space for an Elise, so by definition it’ll be an outsider. To that end, I’d prefer something a little rough around the edges, as I’d go nuts watching a pristine Elise slowly succumb—even if well kept and covered—to daily life outside a protected environment.

Just for the sake of discussion, let’s say the car is structurally sound. Would the absence of the radiator shroud create any collateral problems?

Not planning to ever track this car nor will it ever show up at a concours d’elegance anything. In my neck of the woods it would qualify as a true exotic, warts and all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
crash structure has been damaged and it was not replaced but "repaired", R/F suspension clearly shows separation between the shock bracket from the chassis plus possibly other damage not shown by the picture. I would buy it only if you plan to strip it down and rebuild/reinforce broken suspension points and if priced accordingly

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have a nice budget elise that I am fixing a few niggles on (including that EXACT ac problem) and will list soon, low 20s, great shape given 99k miles. Salvage title for VERY minor damage but couldn't get a replacement clam in time. Give me a PM if you want to discuss and I can tailor the repairs I do/don't do to your liking if you want and it's not ebay ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2005 Lotus Elise | eBay
I have a nice budget elise that I am fixing a few niggles on (including that EXACT ac problem) and will list soon, low 20s, great shape given 99k miles. Salvage title for VERY minor damage but couldn't get a replacement clam in time. Give me a PM if you want to discuss and I can tailor the repairs I do/don't do to your liking if you want and it's not ebay ;)
PM sent...THANKS!

·
Registered
918 Posts
That car looks OK to buy to me. Ideally, I would want more zoomed out images of the right and left front suspension pickup points. I wouldn't pay more than 22k all in (shipping included). At that price you won't make anything reselling it, so make sure it's what you want. I agree with the seller that the mismatched clam color does look pretty good. EDIT: Also photos of the Front right underside just to make sure it's not in bad shape would be a good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, somebody took a chance. Just hammered down @ $18.1K...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts