The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Todd retired and bought a green land barge, the role of cruise director seems to have fallen on me. It's a big job in addition to being court jester.

Scheduling the drives is always a pain in the arse (not as much as leading though). Summer weekends get booked badly with 3 young kids.

I know we mentioned this once, but how do you guys feel about getting an ACTUAL schedule together? I've got a Porsche buddy that schedules their crap in winter for the entire summer.

I know we've got Rob with his 78 weddings, Darrin's deployments, Pooter's lego car and the random guys that oversleep, but I'm thinking it might just be easiest to get the stuff on the calendar now. Ultimately, I'd like to have one per month - June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct. That's 5 drives in the season.

Oct one is easy - we hit up the apple donut place!

So, send me dates that WORK for each of those months - just throw them out on the thread. It's not gonna be perfect, but we'll do our best.

Sundays are probably better = less traffic. Avoid first Sats of the month (Supercar Saturdays which is always fun).

I've scrounged up a bunch of good routes (St Charles to Starved Rock, Todd's Route, Kurrum's Barrington to Lake Geneva) and we'll ABSOLUTELY do the Galena route - some great stuff there.

Chime in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was going to wait until after we got back from our honeymoon to announce this, but I am opening a new chapter of Cars & Coffee for our area. We'll be meeting at Black Canyon Coffee in Wales the third Sunday of the month, beginning July 20th. I would love to have some of my Lotus friends attend. If you guys had ever thought about doing a drive in the Kettle Moraine or near Holy Hill, this could be a good starting spot for ya :) This probably applies more to Wisconsin people, but Illini are always welcome :)

That aside, advance scheduling is a great idea in my opinion!

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Since Todd retired and bought a green land barge, the role of cruise director seems to have fallen on me. It's a big job in addition to being court jester.

Scheduling the drives is always a pain in the arse (not as much as leading though). Summer weekends get booked badly with 3 young kids.

I know we mentioned this once, but how do you guys feel about getting an ACTUAL schedule together? I've got a Porsche buddy that schedules their crap in winter for the entire summer.

I know we've got Rob with his 78 weddings, Darrin's deployments, Pooter's lego car and the random guys that oversleep, but I'm thinking it might just be easiest to get the stuff on the calendar now. Ultimately, I'd like to have one per month - June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct. That's 5 drives in the season.

Oct one is easy - we hit up the apple donut place!

So, send me dates that WORK for each of those months - just throw them out on the thread. It's not gonna be perfect, but we'll do our best.

Sundays are probably better = less traffic. Avoid first Sats of the month (Supercar Saturdays which is always fun).

I've scrounged up a bunch of good routes (St Charles to Starved Rock, Todd's Route, Kurrum's Barrington to Lake Geneva) and we'll ABSOLUTELY do the Galena route - some great stuff there.

Chime in.
The problem I see with scheduling like the Porsche guys do, is that a certain cruise director and not so funny court jester cries on the curb if there arent a "look at us" number of cars on the drive.
So let me ask...if you schedule a drive for August and come August only 3-4 cars can make it, do you cancel the drive or run what you brung??

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's an interesting question. I like to oversleep, so I'm not really valuable input. Though for the record I missed the last one because my friends actually did plan a birthday weekend for me and I ended up being out of town. But normally I oversleep like a boss.

I'm actually just a failure. But I'm a KG failure, so I add some extra spice to the group, right? Sorry again. We should end these drives at bars, so I can start repaying my debt in the form of group shots.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Shots??? I'm so there!!!!

I am going to be doing some traveling this summer also. Its not me, my passport just wants a few nice place stamps put in it for a change

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry, the land barge comment and Swinglow as our cruise director. I could only think of one thing.

This has been a long deployment and the thought of shots has put me over the edge

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was going to wait until after we got back from our honeymoon to announce this, but I am opening a new chapter of Cars & Coffee for our area. We'll be meeting at Black Canyon Coffee in Wales the third Sunday of the month, beginning July 20th. I would love to have some of my Lotus friends attend. If you guys had ever thought about doing a drive in the Kettle Moraine or near Holy Hill, this could be a good starting spot for ya :) This probably applies more to Wisconsin people, but Illini are always welcome :)

That aside, advance scheduling is a great idea in my opinion!

Em, I was actually thinking about getting a Kettle moraine route together... I've driven a small portion of those roads by accident getting to the Shell station in East Troy to meet for other drives & the roads are really good

i think its possible that the KM route could potentially be more fun then the alphabet soup route & also over an hour closer for the ILL peeps... the roads are much cleaner @ KM but also have a higher potential for traffic which could be the downfall

if we do end up scheduling a drive in KM that doesn't fall on one of your cars & coffee days we could meet up at a place like starbucks in Oconomowoc or Delefield near the gas stations

I do like the idea of your C&C Wales meet though

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'd just like to do another cruise downtown (like you guys did last year) so I can take some interesting rolling shots.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
867 Posts
I'm going to try this route in the near future for the kettle Moraine area (if any WI peeps want to try it with me let me know)... if it pans out well ill make a new thread with some date discussions

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43....1!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

this one will be easy for anyone out of town (ILL/non SE WI) to get at since a start & end point can be right off I94
That route looks good to me, and it should be easy to get to. In terms of when I'm free for this summer, I'm down for just about every weekend event. I will be heading to Road America for the vintage weekend on July 17-20 though. Otherwise, my schedule is for driving the Lotus :shift:

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
This all sounds good to me. Especially the WI routes...

I'll organize another Holy Hill drive for the fall as one of the dates if you'd like. Maybe the September date?

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
That's an interesting question. I like to oversleep, so I'm not really valuable input. Though for the record I missed the last one because my friends actually did plan a birthday weekend for me and I ended up being out of town. But normally I oversleep like a boss.

I'm actually just a failure. But I'm a KG failure, so I add some extra spice to the group, right? Sorry again. We should end these drives at bars, so I can start repaying my debt in the form of group shots.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ill join!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mat and Josh, that sounds great. Tentatively, I think the hours for CnC will be 7:30 - 10:30AM. Anyone interested in that is welcome to join. Everyone else who wants to do the drive part could meet us at 10:30 and we could head out and drive for awhile, get some lunch midway, and then drive the rest. Or whatever :) Mat, we could put out the Sunday, June 20 date for the Kettle Moraine drive if you are available, and Josh, you can have the Sunday, September 21 date to head up the Holy Hill drive. Color around that area should be pretty at that time of the year!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Mat and Josh, that sounds great. Tentatively, I think the hours for CnC will be 7:30 - 10:30AM. Anyone interested in that is welcome to join. Everyone else who wants to do the drive part could meet us at 10:30 and we could head out and drive for awhile, get some lunch midway, and then drive the rest. Or whatever :) Mat, we could put out the Sunday, June 20 date for the Kettle Moraine drive if you are available, and Josh, you can have the Sunday, September 21 date to head up the Holy Hill drive. Color around that area should be pretty at that time of the year!
Sounds good, that's the date then. Let's start praying for the sharknados to stay away this year. Last year was way too wet.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Jeff and Em, given my location in the far northern 'burbs of Chicago, I'm equally interested in IL and WI stuff. Having just gotten back from the Far East, I'm not leaving the country again until September, so I should have some time free.

Please keep us posted--a June 20 date probably works for me, and C&C in WI might work too, depending on where it is and getting enough notice.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am moving back to Ohio so I will be out for the drives but will be attending the track events.

We have some decent roads there so I might try to put on some drives in my area

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to see some peeps taking initiative. To make things easy, can you break this event(s) into a separate new thread with the data in it so we can keep track.

Oh, and who wants to schedule the next spirited drive (closer to home)? Maybe 6/14 or 15?

·
Registered
668 Posts
We should do 6/14th … and leave the 15th as the emergency one, in case it rains saturday :)

I would love to do a Geneva one. It seems to be my favorite one so far. It would be cool to meet in Geneva early to have breakfast and then go :)

does anyone want to go driving for 2-3 hrs next sat morning ? maybe we can take LSD and sheridan to lake forest… look at the new cars and then split… or have lunch

1 - 20 of 30 Posts