The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have about 3400 miles right now, and my exige s is approaching the end of 1 year in two months. I was wondering if I should get the service done at 1 year, or I can wait until when I hit 7500 miles. Will the warranty be out if I don't do it until i hit 7500 miles but long after 1 year mark?

THanks.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Your first service was due at 6 months or 1k miles. If I recall correctly it's every 6 months or 7,500 miles while still under warranty. It may be one year after the first service though. I've been out of the brand for 6 months now and my car is unto it's extended warranty, so I may be a bit rusty.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It appears that you are talking about the 7500 mile service, not the 1000 mile service as A3X is suggesting, correct?

If it is the 7500 mi service that you are referring to I see you having a couple of options:

1. Drive the car 2000 miles each of the next 2 months, then get your 7500 mile service done.

2. Drive the car 2000 miles each of the next 2 months, then do the 7500 mile $300 oil change yourself. That would be IMO the best option :evil:.

3. Don't drive your car, leave it at 3400 miles, and change your oil in a few months.

4. Drive your car as you currently do and change your oil at 7500 miles (or your chosen mileage interval if every 3000 miles, etc), at the upcoming year mark or every 6 months (or your chosen time interval if you're so inclined) whichever comes sooner.

5. Your own variation of the above.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To RoadDad

RoadDad,

The 7500 miles service is only an oil change?

The dealer suggest me service at every year mark or at every 7500 miles. So I'm wondering if I should do service at the year mark (in 2 months).

If I continue to drive (ignoring the year mark), and once I reached 7500 miles, then do the service, will that terminate my warranty in any way?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Say, didn't you get a manual with the car? It lists the service windows and what work is to be done. I've attached the diagram for the '05 cars and I believe the newer cars follow the same or very similar schedule.

You don't have to have the dealer do the service. You can do it yourself or have someone else do it, but to preserve the warranty, someone's got to do it (and make a record of it), and at the prescribed time/mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
ahh,

Sorry I wasn't clear there. I should written $300 "oil change." Yes, you are correct, there are other things that are to be checked during any service. However, I have watched two techs do a scheduled "service" and both did only an oil change at that service. They certainly didn't lift the mats, clean and dry the floor as suggested in the manual. One lifted the car, took off the oil plug, went out for a smoke while the oil drained, put the plug back in, lowered the car, put in "about 5 quarts" of oil, drove the car off the lift, filled out a ticket and went on the the next car. That was a $300 oil change. (BTW if you don't have the manual you really need to download at least the service schedule from andy's link above -- it is the same for the later years as well).

I have done my own service, except for the 1000 mile service, with the blessing of my Lotus Service Manager. At his request, I have every receipt for items purchased and have documented dates, mileage, etc. for each of the services. I also follow a tighter service schedule (oil changed more frequently, etc.) than Lotus' recommends, but that's just my choice.

This is all, of course, just my opinion. If you are not comfortable with working on your car, obviously get someone else to do it or, again just IMHO, have someone teach you how. As andy has said, keep records and your warranty will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts