The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
12,107 Posts
If you're going to put new pads on I would replace. Measure the thickness and compare to the chart below. Lotus doesn't recommend resurfacing. I found it will accelerate the micro fissures.
Rectangle Font Eyelash Paper Brand

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The spacing of the grooves matches the holes, and I doubt that’s coincidence. Drilled rotors have fallen out of favor, and dimpled/slotted rotors are seen as just as effective with less cracking potential. Yours aren’t cracking though, which tells me they never get hot. I’d leave it all alone for now and swap both the rotors and pads at the same time whenever it bothers you too much. Then I’d go with dimples instead of drilled holes.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I don't see anything here indicative of replacement or excess wear. Most of the members covered it, but what you're looking for is cracks, thickness of the disc that are approaching and past the min thickness (looks like you did a great job confirming that) and disc thickness variation, so if you measure and 4 different positions along the disc (12 oclock, 3, 6, 9) is there an uneven wear or runout?

you can also check your pad thickness to ensure you have appropriate amount of pad thickness (life). At 20k mi street miles, i don't expect there to be anything crazy. have you noticed excess braking related noises or loss in stopping performance?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
You can have the rotor inspected with dye penetrant or magnetic particle inspection by a automotive machine shop. If it's a crack, the non destructive inspection process is quite reliable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I looked very closely at them and that line in the pic in the first post wiped away.
I think I'm going to stop worrying but keep an eye on them. Good to know aobut the magnetic particle inspection - is that like magnafluxing?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Thanks! I looked very closely at them and that line in the pic in the first post wiped away.
I think I'm going to stop worrying but keep an eye on them. Good to know aobut the magnetic particle inspection - is that like magnafluxing?
Glad to hear the line wiped away. Best possible outcome. Mag particle inspection = Magnaflux trade name.

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
99% probability you are no where close to wear limits. Just buy new pads and bed them in..........those rotors are cherry IMHO

That is a scratch

Reactions: donour and jmardy

·
Administrator
12,107 Posts
Yeah, I track and brake hard and was running these until the pulsed hard when hot.

View attachment 1318221
The micro fissures are normal the two holes with cracks starting from top and bottom aren't. Time to replace and upgrade maybe to slotted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts