The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3" Schroth shoulder belts in my 6 point harness used with a Kirkey seat. The cut outs in the seats for the shoulder belts are very close together (probably a 1" gap). This makes it pretty uncomfortable at the track when I'm strapped in. The closeness of the shoulder belts when tightened down dig into my neck. Is my best bet going to 2" shoulder straps for now? I'm not currently using a HANS (at some point I will). 2" shoulder straps can be used without a HANS, correct?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I'm not currently using a HANS (at some point I will).
not trying to hijack, but "at some point" should be BEFORE you need it in a wreck.
INVEST in one before you go back to the track, when you need it, you will be glad you spent the relatively little cost for the benefits it provides.

I wont get into any of my cars on the track w/o mine

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you only mean well, but please don't get on your soapbox. I've heard it from you 10,000 times. Let's stick to the question.

not trying to hijack, but "at some point" should be BEFORE you need it in a wreck.
INVEST in one before you go back to the track, when you need it, you will be glad you spent the relatively little cost for the benefits it provides.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might get light headed as the 3" belts strangle my 18" neck. That's my concern. I also think that a standard belt which is 3" would actually allow more force in a wreck to a single area on my chest than two 2" belts which would dispearse the force over a greater area.

2" shoulder belts are HANS only. They won't spread the energy across your shoulders like a 3" belt.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I know you only mean well, but please don't get on your soapbox. I've heard it from you 10,000 times. Let's stick to the question.
then i guess it will take 10000 +1 :)

my friend put a kirkey in his elise and it looked like a nice set up.
it did appear to be HANS compatible as the slot in the seat for the shoulder harness did not interfere with the shoulder belts freedom of movement.

the nice thing about the HANS is that the belts will no longer strangle your 18" neck. the device will insulate you against your belts digging into you. maybe thats enough reason to get the HANS.(10,001)

yes chotto, i do mean well, and i am not on my soapbox(as you put it), just have seen what the HANS can do when its employed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
4" belts

a little bit off topic, or maybe sideways, anyone know what they use for indy? watching indy 500 qualifying those belts looked 4" wide to me. which i've never heard of before.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I might get light headed as the 3" belts strangle my 18" neck. That's my concern.
The thread reads like you might be 1/2-way there already.
Also the 3" belt could chafe the sides of your neck.

I also think that a standard belt which is 3" would actually allow more force in a wreck to a single area on my chest than two 2" belts which would dispearse the force over a greater area.
You did mention a 6-pt setup, so there are 2 shoulder belts right?

Assuming that there are 2 of the 2" and 2 of the 3" belts, then the total force (per belt) would be the same in the same accident.
The pressure under the belt for the 2" belt would be 3/2 greater than the 3" belt. So it is exactly opposite of what you are suggesting.

It is like having someone hit you with a pillow or hit you with a whip. One is wider than the other.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm assuming the real problem is not that the inner edges of the holes in the seat are only one inch apart, but rather that the outer edges of the holes are too close together also, limiting how far apart the shoulder straps can go.

Is that correct? If the holes are not the limiting factor on belt placement, then you've got the belt mounting to blame. But I'm assuming the holes are the limiting factor. Otherwise you would have already solved your problem by remounting the belts farther apart.

So basically this post is useless.

xtn

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. I'm talking about a standard 3 point belt vs a harness with 2" belts. The harness 2" belts should dissipate the force over a greater surface area than 1 OEM belt. Yes, a harness with 3" wide belts would be even better, but sometimes there are limiting factors such as in my case.

You did mention a 6-pt setup, so there are 2 shoulder belts right?

Assuming that there are 2 of the 2" and 2 of the 3" belts, then the total force (per belt) would be the same in the same accident.
The pressure under the belt for the 2" belt would be 3/2 greater than the 3" belt. So it is exactly opposite of what you are suggesting.

It is like having someone hit you with a pillow or hit you with a whip. One is wider than the other.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
2" shoulder straps can be used without a HANS, correct?
Chotto,i think the best advice that you might get is rather than asking us here, go directly to the source.
email schroth and ask them, or email one of the reputable schroth usa dealers, not just a vendor that sells schroth stuff along with other things.

yours is a good question, and one that is worth finding out the real answer, directly from the manufacturer of the product.

thats what i would do if it were my body being restrained by the set up you propose.

my instinct tells me the same thing as the guy says in post # 2

which type of kirkey do you have, the one with one long, narrow slot for the shoulders, or the kind with 2 seperate holes, one for each shoulder harness?

·
Registered
658 Posts
No. I'm talking about a standard 3 point belt vs a harness with 2" belts. The harness 2" belts should dissipate the force over a greater surface area than 1 OEM belt.
That's not necesarily correct, because of the way the OEM belt stretches compared to the way an SFI harness stretches. (The OEM belt stretches a lot more.)

Rather, sure purely geometry-wise 2-2" belts are more area than 1-3" belt, but the forces don't dissipate the same way. For your comparison to be valid, you'd have to be talking about harness vs. harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts