The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '05 Elise and recenty, the brakes are making a scraping sound after i release the brake pedal. Sounds like it's coming from the front, I don't know if it's from the left rotor, or the right, or both. It seems like the brake caliper isn't fully releasing after I let off the brake, or is it simply that my brake pads are worn, and I need to replace them? The car runs fine, and brakes fine. When I accelerate after a stoplight or stop sign, I hear the brakes scraping and as I go faster, the noise goes away. I have performed minor maintenance on cars before, but never worked on any brakes or braking system. I want to get some suggestions before I take the wheels off and look. Do you think I need to bleed out the brake fluid? Or other suggestions? Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If you have plenty of pad, then you may have picked up some sand or grit and got it embedded in your pad. If your pads are low, well, then it is self evident the corrective action.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
and the fronts are easy as pie to change - there is a sector111 video somewhere covering it. It's REALLY easy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Took off wheels and examined. Surely, one brake pad was worn down all the way! I took it out, and ordered a new pair of EBC's. The ones I removed look like matching original/stock pads. Since I purchased this car used, I have no idea whether both pads were installed new, or not. The pad on the other side of the caliper is still okay with plenty of pad left. Wonder why these pairs wore out so unevenly....could it be a frozen piston?

·
hello
284 Posts
Do you have stock rotors? They do not vent that well. So you get some uneven pad wear.

The pads new are 9mm material in front. How much pad is left? If 2mm then it happens. If 7mm then check for something being wrong with your brakes.

I would replace all 4 pads per axle, not just the pair.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Took off wheels and examined. Surely, one brake pad was worn down all the way! I took it out, and ordered a new pair of EBC's. The ones I removed look like matching original/stock pads. Since I purchased this car used, I have no idea whether both pads were installed new, or not. The pad on the other side of the caliper is still okay with plenty of pad left. Wonder why these pairs wore out so unevenly....could it be a frozen piston?
You will get an axle set of the EBC pads (4 pads).

Replace them all, not just two...

-G

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
iPad noPad Brake pad

Here's picture, one side worn all the way down. Thus, the scraping noise. Replaced with ECB greens. Will replace the other side this coming weekend. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
The brakes pads wearing uneven is common. You always should check both inner and outer pads.

and yeah, what about your rotors? You had metal scraping on metal... Brake fluid should be bled yearly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Holmes, that is definitely your pad worn down and scraping the rotor. Pads wearing unevenly is a common thing on the Elise like agirls said. Some of the Lotus pads do not have the grippers in the brake pad that squeals to let you know to change the pads. So typically when you hear something, most often its metal on metal and you need to check it out ASAP.

You want to see if the pad has damaged your rotor any, and really, just to check on the condition of your rotors anywho. When the car has been off for a bit (adequately cooled), run your finger from the rotor to the tip and see if you have a decent sized lip on the edge. If you do, and you have pads that have are slotted/cross-drilled then you want to get a tool and measure the usable portion of the rotor and see if its still within the parameters. I want to say its like 26mm is the original rotor thickness and below 24mm indicates you need to replace rotors.

If you have regular plain, non xdrilled/slotted rotors, then you can see how worn they are and make a judgement call on whether you want to turn the rotor to grind the lip off. On slotted/xdrilled rotors, you don't turn, you only replace.

Some other good advice, when you put your new brake pads on, make sure you put some of that brake squeal stop goop on the -back- of your pads where the caliper piston butts against the back plate of the new pad.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Wow, that is really bad.
The friction material is completely gone!
Didn't your brake light come on?
As your pads wear, the level of brake fluid
in the reservoir decreases so I was thinking your brake light may
have gone on . . .

Take it to a shop to check the rotor run-out.
-Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts