The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am serious considering putting this "screen protector" on the windshield of my Esprit.

ClearPlex — Audi R8 Windshield Protection

Winshield chips/cracks are common around Houston with all the trucks dropping and kicking up rocks.

Heck, maybe I should apply this to all my cars...

It couldn't be hard to apply to the Esprit given the windscreen is so flat. They don't list the Esprit, but from the video, it looks like you can buy it in bulk or have them custom cut one.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I dont know how hard it is to install as I had mine professionally installed.

It is good at protecting the windshield, but....

On my Elise it was pretty clear. On my wifes Corvette, we had lots of problem with prism effect and halos on lights at night.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wouldn't be surprised if the Vette has some funky windshield that caused that effect. I assume the Esprit windshield is as old school as it gets.

From their video, the install looks very similar to clear bra or window tinting. I do my own clear bra and have tackled some pretty tough projects like my curvy Jag XF hood with success, so I don't think it will be a challenge to apply this product.

How much did they charge you for the windshields?

Did you really notice a heat reduction? I was planning on going the 3M Crystaline 90% clear window tint on the windshield and side windows, but I can redirect the funds to this project if it does both protect and shield.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I got mine about 2 years ago and I got it for a deal, (it was an installation training exercise).

A friend got it installed on his Exige and i think it was approx $300.00 (but I am probably wrong).

I dont think the windshield is any different on the Corvette, I think it was just at an angle that didnt work well with the ClearPlex.

Did it cut heat down? Dont really know. It's rare during the summer that the car has the top on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts