The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a screw in my rear A048. Not losing air. Looks like a straightforward plug scenario. In that I use these for track days, what are y'all's thoughts on plug vs replace?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There was a military training area in Germany where the tree huggers used to throw nails with washers welded to the end of them in the mud and dirt roads. Unfortunately this was also the area where we played paintball. We would always walk the road first and usually pick up a few hundred of them before driving in. Even doing this we used to get them in our tires quite often. I had a plug kit in my trunk to do on site repairs and then run on the autobahn at 120 mph all the time. I actually had one tire with 16 plugs in it at one time. Never had an issue or leak.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Never plug unless it's an emergency to get you home. Plugging may be illegal in most states due to safety failure reasons. The correct method is to patch the tire on the inside if it's in the tread.
Tire Tech Information - Puncture Repairs
Cheers,
Michael
Picked up a screw in my rear A048. Not losing air. Looks like a straightforward plug scenario. In that I use these for track days, what are y'all's thoughts on plug vs replace?

·
Registered
143 Posts
a lot of people are against plugging but i had my lambo rear tires plugged once and i've ran it to 200 miles many times over without any problems. i've also plugged the a048 and ran them on the track past their wearbars with no problems at all.

although it's better safe than sorry so if you can patch it up from the inside, so much the better.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The internal patch with combined plugs are by far the best. Done properly these are stronger than the original rubber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I should have said 'repair' generically rather than 'plug' to include patching. Will save me quite a bit vs new set, so appreciate your input...will report back.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Odds of a problem on the track with a repaired tire are low, but the consequences of a failure could be high. What's your life worth?

I bought a new pair of tires when it happened to me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ive plugged 2 different tires on my lotus and tracked them both extensively without issue.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Same here Chilli.

But it COULD lead to disaster. Probably won't, but if the right nail/screw went through just right and split one of the steel belts, it could mean big trouble at speed. Low probability, but high risk situation if it does happen.

xtn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts