The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about 1k miles on my car and the other day I noticed a screw in the front driver side tire. Tire pressure is rock steady, but worried i'm going to have a failure soon.
Looks like the screw has been there for awhile, maybe since delivery but can't prove it.
Can the tire be patched? or will the tire have to be replaced? Not sure I want any of the local tire shops messing with my rims.
Advice and opinion always welcome

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the screw is in the top of the tire aka the tread area you drive on, it can typically removed and patched. If its in the side of the tire, you need a new tire.

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
No pressure loss. get to tire shop ASAP. Have them pull nail/screw. You may not have a puncture yet!!! Leave it in there and its only a matter of time. Those are easy repairs now a days

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
If it is more closer than an inch away from the sidewall, tire shops will not patch it.

Of course you can patch it yourself but you run the risk of a blow-out. My personal tolerance is about 1/2 inch from the sidewall.

Depending on the puncture, self patching can require some serious elbow grease, especially using the hole widener.

If you have lots of difficulty, I suggest you try Dynaplug. They've work great as long as you use enough plugs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Get a plug kit.
Take off wheel.
Pull out nail.
Put a plug in it.
Put Wheel back on.

Done this at least a half a dozen times. No issues.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The good news is since there are so few miles on the tire you can replace just the one since 1000 miles would have minimal wear especially on the fronts.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
local shop said no problem on fixing the tire. The screw is about a inch off center in the tread. teh shop said the screw may not have even gotten through the tire since it is in the thick part of the tread and not in a groove.
They will pull it and if the screw made it through the tread they will pull the tire offf the rim and patch it..
Just glad i'm not putting out for a new tire.
thanks all for the advice

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
All nail incidents occur in the first few 100 miles of the tire life.

My front tire has had a plug since our first drive. I carry a plug kit, and an air pump. I actually forgot to include a pliers to pull out the nail, so had to rely on a friendly passer-by.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I literally JUST did this on my other car this afternoon. (plug kit)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I purchased new Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my car just a few weeks ago, the next day I was almost on my rim & had a 3in nail going through it. Fortunantly I saw it before I drove the car & it was at my house..... middle of tread a plug did the trick

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I must say I am liking my Pilot Super Sports more and more. They are crazy grippy - so much so that traction control hasn't come on in hard turning in a while.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great news was the screw was only about 1/4 inch long and did not even go through the tread. I think it was actually a rivit not a screw, probably picked it up in Heathel:UK:

·
Registered
255 Posts
All nail incidents occur in the first few 100 miles of the tire life.

My front tire has had a plug since our first drive. I carry a plug kit, and an air pump. I actually forgot to include a pliers to pull out the nail, so had to rely on a friendly passer-by.
I do too. I think it is a wise investment to have the plug kit and pump. Beats the can of gunk that comes with the car!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I must say I am liking my Pilot Super Sports more and more. They are crazy grippy - so much so that traction control hasn't come on in hard turning in a while.
Ditto. For all the nay sayers out there these tires seem to be the answer....would be interested to hear from you track guys.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts