The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it does then CONGRATS KIMI & ROMAIN for your hard work in Bahrain. I knew we'd see some podium action this season. Keep it up. Wore my Lotus jacket to work today even though it was way too warm.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Seems like a good forum placement to me. I am a bit confused of exactly what I am rooting for, now that the Lotus cars no longer have a Lotus engine (used renault engine), and a chassis which is (as I understand it) mostly not designed by Lotus. Still, it was great to see a car with a Lotus logo on it come in second and third, I think highest formula 1 podium placement for decades.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe confusing but it's got the same yellow and green circle on it as some blowbag stole off my wheel while I was in a restaurant last Saturday.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Seems like a good forum placement to me. I am a bit confused of exactly what I am rooting for, now that the Lotus cars no longer have a Lotus engine (used renault engine), and a chassis which is (as I understand it) mostly not designed by Lotus. Still, it was great to see a car with a Lotus logo on it come in second and third, I think highest formula 1 podium placement for decades.
What was the last Lotus F1 car to actually use a Lotus engine? DID any Lotus F1 cars use a Lotus manufactured engine?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yes, prior to this race they were using Lotus engine. Team Lotus claimed Lotus MFG was not providing enough replacement engines to compete and asked the F1 committee to allow them to switch engines to a manufacturer which could provide sufficient engines to race. Apparently the committee agreed.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Yes, prior to this race they were using Lotus engine. Team Lotus claimed Lotus MFG was not providing enough replacement engines to compete and asked the F1 committee to allow them to switch engines to a manufacturer which could provide sufficient engines to race. Apparently the committee agreed.
-eek- wow - thats some good drugs. where do you get them? :shrug:

that is some of the best made up stuff i have heard this week, and its only monday!

wait wait... no i should go along...

"yes, correct Swizz beatz re-engineered the pneumatic valve train in the Lotus F1 engine, but it made too much horsepower and Button couldn't control it braking into the corners with the new pull rod suspension they use, so Clive passed a new FIA regulation to allow the infinity heads (made by nissan) from the redbull izod series car they use in lemans, so it must be the best."

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You are on the mark, I mixed up what was happening a while back in Indy with my formula 1 stuff. They have had an agreement with Renault since (I think 2010) for formula 1 racing, and agreement which is expected to run till 2013, I guess they are soon getting the KERS system from Red Bull, but details are sketchy on that. But back to the point I was trying to make, there are very few Lotus parts in the Lotus car.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
If it does then CONGRATS KIMI & ROMAIN for your hard work in Bahrain. I knew we'd see some podium action this season. Keep it up. Wore my Lotus jacket to work today even though it was way too warm.
Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new
Hail Atlantis!
Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be....

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
addertooth ..being serious now :) - you can read up on the Renault team. and that will give you all the history of the toleman to benetton to renault team

Renault in Formula One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is a well know public fact there is NOTHING Lotus in the Enstone car, so no point need be made there. in fact, thats why although the chassis is referred to as Lotus, they still use the enstone team chassis numbers (E20 this year) not lotus chassis numbers, since it has nothing to do with Lotus (yet, until/if Genii owns Lotus - which is/was the plan, and why the FIA allowed Genii to change the name from Renault to Lotus without penalty). so... they have "always" had renault engines (obviously). and the renualt enstone team has "allways" built the chassis.

now... onto the indy car fiasco - Lotus entered into an agreement with indy car to be an "engine provider" along with honda and chevy. that agreement required they provide engines to a certain number of determined teams. Lotus, not having any capability to produce such an engine, hired Judd (a long time engine company, and did a stint in F1 even) to produce the engine "badged" lotus (again Lotus has nothing to do with the engine, other than hiring Judd to engineer and manufacturer it). for whatever reasons... its been a disaster, and to date (i believe) 2 teams have asked to be released from Lotus (due to not meeting the engine supply requirements) and have one of the other engine suppliers provide engines so that they can at least run.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Thanks FitFan, Like I said, I was getting my Indy stuff confused with F1 stuff, my bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts