The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The maintenance records that came with the car mentioned "Install S4S chip supplied by customer". There's no receipt for the actual chip itself.
Does anyone know what chip this would be? :shrug:

Thanks in advance!
Pete

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
It's probably just a copy of the code from a S4S ecu.
Bob,

You can tell that just from the picture???-eek- I like the US flag, though. :up:

The original S4s tune often included an engine "stumble" at 3000 RPM. Lotus revised the code but I believe a new ECU was provided. (That was many years ago, of course.)

Does Freescan ID what tune is applied?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
That is most likely the chip that was removed. To try to figure out what is actually running the car you would have to crack open the ECU and see what is socketed in there.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is most likely the chip that was removed. To try to figure out what is actually running the car you would have to crack open the ECU and see what is socketed in there.
David Teitelbaum
Been through that, you may not be able to tell by looking at it.
The most common chips that are sold for the SE were the "300hp" or the S4S chip, basically the same but I believe there were a few minor differences over time. There is also a "high torque chip" and then a couple of racing chips.

The S4S chip allows boost of 1.0 so you may be able to tell by that(vs 0.85 stock)

Randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Been through that, you may not be able to tell by looking at it.
Randy
There is a rather simple way to find out.
An option I did not document in Espritmon is the ability to download the ECU ROM contents to file. This is done by using the mode2 to request the contents of 64 bytes that follow a start address that is provided. When you press the 'n' key in Espritmon while it is getting data, Espritmon will request a series of 64 bytes of data (starting at $8000) and write the result as a binary to file in the Espritmon working directory (name: espritrom.bin, size 32768 bytes). Note that this will take several minutes !! There are several people on the list that will be able to tell you which version of the ROM you have.
If you know how to use a hexadecimal viewer, check the contents of the file at address $1400. If it reads 'Changes to this binary file are copywrite Andy Whittaker, ' etc. You have one of the ROMS that contain his updates tables.

Good luck,

Erik

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...very cool Erik!

I've already ordered the Arduino Dupont 248 board to hook it up. I just need to get the car back together first.

Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts