The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

What's the procedure for "re-learning" on the ECU ('91 SE)? I know to pull fuse 10 or disconnect the battery to make it "un-learn" (lobotomy) but I'm not sure what operating conditions are best for the re-learn. I could swear I read something about letting it idle for some period with headlights on then drive normally and some other stuff but I can't find that post for the life of me.

I have the procedure for resetting the IAC valve (Freescan, ignition on, not running, wait at least 10 seconds before turning key off), I was planning to do that immediately after the reset.

I also vaguely recall something about flooring the pedal with ignition on/engine not running to calibrate the TPS, but not sure if that applies.

What do y'all recommend?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Hi all.

What's the procedure for "re-learning" on the ECU ('91 SE)? I know to pull fuse 10 or disconnect the battery to make it "un-learn" (lobotomy) but I'm not sure what operating conditions are best for the re-learn. I could swear I read something about letting it idle for some period with headlights on then drive normally and some other stuff but I can't find that post for the life of me.

I have the procedure for resetting the IAC valve (Freescan, ignition on, not running, wait at least 10 seconds before turning key off), I was planning to do that immediately after the reset.

I also vaguely recall something about flooring the pedal with ignition on/engine not running to calibrate the TPS, but not sure if that applies.

What do y'all recommend?
It was easier to cut and paste Randy's post from another topic
Applies to all GM computer 4cyl.

The recommended way to teach the computer after a battery disconnect is to start with a cold car. Turn ignition on, leave motor off, give throttle pedal a full to the floor travel. Then start car without touching throttle, let it idle till temp rises to 80. While it is warming up keep a load on the motor by running headlight/AC. Once it is warm drive the car moderately for 5-10 miles, then begin more spirited runs.

I usually get a few brief overboosts till the computer learns, but everything works well after about 20 minutes.

Randy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again, Cal. :bow:

·
Banned
938 Posts
Does this apply for an 89 non-SE as well?
Sounds a lot like the procedure to reboot the computers to an aggresive dynamic on my amg.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
If you can't find the ECU fuse, just disconnect the battery overnight.. Even better, take it out, clean it, charge it all the way up and test it. If over 5 years old or if it fails the test, replace it. Clean all of the terminals and connectors so they are clean and shiny. Use all of the battery hold-down hardware and if anything is missing get it replaced. You don't want the battery bouncing around.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.