The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just simply wanting to check my PS fluid & can't find the reservoir anywhere. Sorry I had to make a new thread over this. I tried looking it up online & I RTFM. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Under rear passenger vent grill next to the engine hatch. You have to remove the grill to get to the reservoir for filling, you can reach through the engine bay back towards the passenger side to reach the cap.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For checking the level you have to lean over and look back toward the reservoir or use a mirror as its kind of tucked away.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Located as ddimensia noted. Extract from Service manual:

"HI.3 - PAS FLUID CHECK & REFILL PROCEDURE
Recommended fluid: PAS or Automatic Transmission Fluid meeting Dexron III
Capacity: 1.5 litre

Fluid Level Check
The PAS fluid reservoir is located at the right hand rear corner of the engine bay with the fluid level visible
through the translucent material of the reservoir. The level of fluid will rise as the oil temperature warms during
normal operation, and the best time to check the level (part of each routine service) is with the engine warm,
immediately after a run. With a warm engine, the level should be close to the 'MAX' mark, and if cold, close
to the 'MIN'. Note that there are two sets of marks on the reservoir, with hot markings on the outboard side,
and cold marks in the inboard side, the hot marks being at a slightly higher level. The fluid level will also drop
slightly when the engine is running.

Under normal circumstances, the PAS fluid should not require any topping up, and a drop in level is likely
to be an indication of a leak.

If topping up is required, the air outlet grille at the RH rear corner of the engine bay must first be removed
by releasing its two retaining screws. The reservoir cap may then be removed and a suitable funnel used to
aid the addition of an approved fluid. Do not overfill. Replace the cap securely, and refit the grille.

Fluid Change & Bleeding
In the normal course of operation, it is not necessary to change the hydraulic fluid, only to check the level.
If, however, the system becomes contaminated with dirt or other fluids, all pipework connections should be
released and fluid expelled using low pressure air. Dispel fluid from the rack mechanism by turning the steering
to each full lock. Dispel fluid from the pump by cranking the engine for a few moments with ignition disabled.

After draining the fluid, or after the loss of fluid during the course of repairs or hydraulic system disconnection;
- Fill the reservoir with an approved fluid.
- Raise the front of the car and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock several times. Top up fluid
level if necessary.
- Lower the car, start the engine and idle for a few minutes, before turning the steering to full lock and holding
for 3 seconds, then repeating for the opposite lock. Repeat this sequence several times.
- Stop the engine and check the reservoir level.
- Any foaming or emulsification of the oil is an indication of air in the system. Repeat the above procedure.

If symptoms persist, check for air/fluid leaks."

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the info gentlemen! Julian, where did you obtain the service manual info from? Is it a Bentley Publishing CD-ROM or something?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Don't use LT Search for such. Use Bing or whatever you prefer and put "Lotus Talk" in there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
site search

Don't use LT Search for such. Use Bing or whatever you prefer and put "Lotus Talk" in there.
I use the following search string for Safari, will most likely work for any web application:

site:lotustalk.com search string

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
....Julian, where did you obtain the service manual info from? Is it a Bentley Publishing CD-ROM or something?
You can download the service notes directly from "The Lotus Vehicle Service Information centre " for a fee. Pay for access by the hour, day, week, month etc.
I believe this is the link I used.. Lotus - Vehicle Service Information

If you scroll through the pages before you pay for the downloads, you will see there are various Evora service notes mixed in. I'm not sure why they are not just grouped together. :shrug:

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
You can download the service notes directly from "The Lotus Vehicle Service Information centre " for a fee. Pay for access by the hour, day, week, month etc.
I believe this is the link I used.. Lotus - Vehicle Service Information

If you scroll through the pages before you pay for the downloads, you will see there are various Evora service notes mixed in. I'm not sure why they are not just grouped together. :shrug:
Type in "Evora" into search bar to pull them together.

Note: the Engine section is not the full Toyota-Lotus engine service manual
and the sites Parts List is Rev D, I downloaded Rev J from somewhere and even that is out of date compared to on-line interactive lists such as on mylotusgarage.com site

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.