The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post this picture for anyone thinking about trying out the SeaSucker bike racks.

The bike rack is their Talon model and I haven't had any problems with it. No complaints here.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any idea if you'd could some how finagle the front suction cups onto the window if you clamped the rear wheel further back? I'm rocking a soft top only.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You my friend is nuts!! :eek:
I thought I was too at first but it actually works really well. I drive like an old lady when I have it on though.

Any idea if you'd could some how finagle the front suction cups onto the window if you clamped the rear wheel further back? I'm rocking a soft top only.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
It may work if you turn the front suction cups around 180, but it will take up the whole windshield on the passenger side, basically. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Sounds like not such a great idea to use suction cups to attach something that heavy to a hard top, which is attached to an absolutely non structural windshield frame.
And what holds the roll bar cover in place again?
Have you tried to slam on your brakes hard with that thing mounted?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like not such a great idea to use suction cups to attach something that heavy to a hard top, which is attached to an absolutely non structural windshield frame.
And what holds the roll bar cover in place again?
Have you tried to slam on your brakes hard with that thing mounted?
The bike only weighs around 18lbs with the front wheel on. If it can't support that I think we have bigger problems on our hands.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
,,,,,,,-eek-,,,,,,,:crazyeyes,,,,,,,,:no:

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
The bike only weighs around 18lbs with the front wheel on. If it can't support that I think we have bigger problems on our hands.
You are brave. I am not sure if the weight is what you need to worry about. What happens if it comes off while driving?-eek-

·
Registered
796 Posts
i always debate taking the lotus to the gym when i go work out... then i think about it and decide i'd rather not soak my lotus seats in sweat each time. i'm sure the same would go for bike rides.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
i always debate taking the lotus to the gym when i go work out... then i think about it and decide i'd rather not soak my lotus seats in sweat each time. i'm sure the same would go for bike rides.
Dry carbon seats here, so that wouldn't be an issue. That said, I wouldn't even think about mounting a bike on my Exige. It looks cool, but it's the wrong tool for the job (IMHO).

San

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
believe me,you have issues doing that :surprise:,so you pedal away on your bike ,while leaving the roof off then ??
Bigger issues than that. Where do you ride a mountain bike where it doesn't get filthy/muddy? Even if you're riding it on the street I'd be afraid of some chain lube dripping down into my interior. Lastly, I can't trust suction mounts to protect my toy (car/truck/motorcycle). I'd have to safety wire a GoPro, let alone a bicycle.

San

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used a Seasucker rack (not on my Lotus) to carry a 30lb recumbent trike at speeds of up to 80mph with no problems at all. Each one of those suction cups can support up to 250lbs. So using 4 or 5 for a 18lb bike or 30lb trike is no sweat. I've also used the cups to temporarily mount a light bar and fog light array for a nighttime SCCA RallyCross on my STi with no failures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts