The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be starting a project with my newly acquired used factory Elise California edition seats. They’re basically Exige seats. I want to cut out the belt hole for the 5th/6th point harness. I have the sys pack kit and grommet kit from inokinetic.

My question is where do I cut the hole? My thoughts are at the end of the red where it meets the magnolia color(will be changing the red to black). There are many pics on the web that show different locations on elise/Exige seats. Some are towards the edge of the seat and some are in the middle which seems like it would be uncomfortable(I want to have kids some day too!). Does it come down to personal preference? Do I do it in between the humps? Cutting will be the last step after recoloring and repairing with Kemmler gel.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Part of it is dictated by the frame under the upholstery, and where you will be attaching the “crotch” belts. That is, to the seat or to the floor.
I believe most of us just attached this belt to the seat since it will never take a large amount of force. The lap belts need to be attached to the floor, not the seat. But I digress.

Here is where we did it. Worked well, comfortable but secure.

E8B748CD-5E24-4488-A8F8-5F31B450B452.jpg

In this picture the lap belts are still connected to the seat. We were not full track yet.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
A 5th point is ideally mounted differently than a 6th point. When you have two crotch belts, you are supposed to wrap them a bit around the thighs and mount them such that they are wider at the base. They are intended to actually hold you in. A 5th point, however, is not intended to press against your groin; rather it is just there to keep the lap belt from rising. Therefore, a 5th point mounts a little more forward and just needs to make a straight line (from the buckle to the mount) when taut.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There is a bracket under the Exige seat that will determine where to put the slot. I took mine to an upholstery shop and had them replace the foam in the seats that was failing and stitch material around the slot. Turned out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice and posting pics!

Anyone interested in some 06 Magnolia colored probax Elise seats in good condition keep an eye out in the for sale section in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts