The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mine was all blue, I think they just changed the color.

Tape CAN come up much easier, especially in heat as I do not think it is rated very high for heat, so an afternoon in the sun may move it around a bit. And besides, the rest of the car is glued, wouldn't want to seats left out :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, I apologize for sounding like 'that idiot' here but what are my options as far as what to order. I don't know if anyone has actually done it but I know I read on one of the pages before about tripling up on the 1/8 thick foam to get 3/8 thickness. I want it very comfortable, so when people said they would not use the HD, is that only on the top layer or both layers? I'm sorry I'm getting so confused. Maybe its because I should be working.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I don't know if anyone has actually done it but I know I read on one of the pages before about tripling up on the 1/8 thick foam to get 3/8 thickness.
That works great. I re-padded an old creeper to sit on while polishing lower parts of cars, changing brakes, cleaning wheels... I used one layer of the HD I had left, and 5 layers of 1/8" glued together, and it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Okay, I'm late to the party but ...

Installed the air gel foam today. Per original instruction s on page one of this thread.

Thanks to the OP and Dave.

I haven't sat in the seat yet but I'm sure its great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually did this mod as well. Feels a lot better.

I topped all of the kemmler foam off with some soft 3/4 foam from micheals and it really made a huge difference, since the kemmler foam isn't particularly plush.

I actually prefer my seats now to the probax exige seats.

Really makes the ride of the car feel better as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I realize this is a very old thread, but for those of you that had done this mod according to the instructions in post 1, can you explain the dimensions to me?

These don't make any sense. The piece labeled 9x11 is shorter than the piece labeled 8.5x11 next to it?? The gray foam pieces all start at the top edge of the brown foam along one line, so it's not like it's being placed under some other foam.

It looks to be more like 7.5x11 or something like that.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is amazing thank you. In 6 number 4 what did you use to clean the adhesive? Alcohol? How long did it take and how are the seats now?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
That is amazing thank you. In 6 number 4 what did you use to clean the adhesive? Alcohol? How long did it take and how are the seats now?
I used Goo-Gone, it comes right off with a little elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Bumping this thread again since I still can't find the pictures mentioned on the first page.

I'm going to be doing this tonight/tomorrow with my 05 Elise seats (non Probax) and had found a few other non Lotus Talk places that have some instructions.

If anyone else has done this and documented it, shoot me a message on Facebook at Justin Loranger (Wilmington, MA, USA). I'm also in the Lotus Owners and Enthusiasts group on Facebook and post there often.

Thank you

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bumping this thread again since I still can't find the pictures mentioned on the first page.

I'm going to be doing this tonight/tomorrow with my 05 Elise seats (non Probax) and had found a few other non Lotus Talk places that have some instructions.

If anyone else has done this and documented it, shoot me a message on Facebook at Justin Loranger (Wilmington, MA, USA). I'm also in the Lotus Owners and Enthusiasts group on Facebook and post there often.

Thank you

Please post pics of your install! I plan on doing this as one of my winter car projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts

Thank you

Please post pics of your install! I plan on doing this as one of my winter car projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts

Thank you
Any photos of this?

This is a good howto but the non Probax seats are a little different (probably need more foam for the standard)
https://howtune.com/articles/456-upgrade-the-probax-seat-cushions-on-a-lotus-exige

Im doing this now. The foam is completely gone and I am left with some bits of flappy cloth. Im not sure if I should glue the cloth down or just cut it off.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The foam is completely gone and I am left with some bits of flappy cloth. Im not sure if I should glue the cloth down or just cut it off.
I just got done doing this mod to my passenger's seat; it had been in my basement during a flood last year so I had to strip the seat in a bit of a panic while cleaning up.

The foam in mine (like most 2005s) was disintegrated and the only way to get the wet foam dust out was to cut the cloth. The cut I made was kept about 1/8" - 1/4" away from the stitching because I didn't want to compromise that.

Without the pictures of the original poster, I had to make up my own layout. I used the Air-2-Gel foam as well as some "conventional" seat cushion foam in places to make up for the shape of the seat, I'm not sure how the original poster managed the job with just the Air-2-Gel foam.

The passenger's seat came out looking pretty good in the end, I'm planning on doing the driver's seat within the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I cut all of the cloth squares inside (kept any that was where the stitching was) and made sure to use a metal scraper (paint type of tool) to scrape all of the foam out of them. It's a sticky pain in the ass, but it was probably the best comfort mod I've done to the car.

I'll see this week if I can take the photos off my phone and upload them here. Won't have any steps, but you'll get the visuals.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My foam is so gone that I just hosed it out and it was pretty much all gone.

Question. Should I glue the first layer of foam to the leather or let it move? Im planning to use Airtex 1/2 for the first layer. Then a combination of 3/8 and 1/8th ShockTec

101 - 120 of 126 Posts