The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their seats reupholstered in the US? My V8 seat are starting to look tired and wrinkly (a bit like me).
It would appear the foam on the bolsters has deteriorated and now they are not looking tip-top.
I removed both seats yesterday to re dye the bolsters, but whilst prepping them, I realized how old they are looking.
Does anyone know of a good auto upholstery shop near Maryland?
OR.....does anyone have a good pair of seats for sale?
Cheers
Adam

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Inquire at JAE to see if they sell replacement foams or could recommend a vendor that has sized seat foam in the past. (Many old British cars need new foam cushions and Britpart vendors like TRF, Moss, and Rimmer Bros sell them for various Triumphs and MGs)

Failing that, look locally. I'm sure that Don Butler of Union Jack Exotics in MD could refer you to a place even though he doesn't work on that many Esprits. A good auto upholstery shop can cut foam to size if needed.

Reactions: 71type65

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another possibility might be Ragtops & Roadsters, not too far up the road in Perkasie, PA. They do restorations including interiors.

·
Administrator
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
A good upholstery shop can cut new foam to fit. It helps if the old foam is not completely crumbled and caution them about not building up the seat too high or you'll potentially have headroom problems. I had my two seats and center console recovered it it makes the interior look like new. To save a few bucks I removed everything and brought it into the shop. The leather came from Hirsch, I couldn't get a good match otherwise - apparently "Sand" is an uncommon color. I looked for a shop that did lots of custom work and they had no problem with me supplying the leather and them getting the OEM ruche look correct.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Give Willy a call at 240 229-7854. He just had his S4 seats done by a shop in Laurel, MD.Tell him Mike told you this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone had their seats reupholstered in the US? My V8 seat are starting to look tired and wrinkly (a bit like me).
It would appear the foam on the bolsters has deteriorated and now they are not looking tip-top.
I removed both seats yesterday to re dye the bolsters, but whilst prepping them, I realized how old they are looking.
Does anyone know of a good auto upholstery shop near Maryland?
OR.....does anyone have a good pair of seats for sale?
Cheers
Adam
Adam,
I picked up a pair of seats that supposedly came out of a V8 Esprit. You can take a look at them to see if they might be of use.
Phil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts