The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cars pictured in C&D article have relatively simple and spartan seats. Not befitting of the this car. Whereas the pictures I have seen in the past week posted from car shows show really nice bucket seats with room for the riggings from a 4 point harness. Any idea what we're getting?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I was thinking of not ordering the touring package for two reasons:
1) additional weight
2) I might replace the seats with some motorsport ones later on so that a six point harness can be fitted. I'm not a fan of four point units.

But the sound supressing material probably doesn't weigh that much anyway and the seats haven't earned too many complaints thus far even though the leather is low quality.

So my advice to you is to just be faithful for the moment, and realize you can always order a different seat later.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Might be better off getting the leather seats (for resale value) and then swapping them out for racing seats for real use? That way, you've got the best of both worlds and maintain your collectibility...??? Whaddya think?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
It looks like leather seats are coming only in the touring package, and I do want that extra sound deadening material that's in the package because I probably can't feel the extra weight. Leather simply looks better too.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think the whole "touring" package option detracts from the point of the car. The elise is suppose to be spartan. That's why we like it. If you want luxury, buy a boxter.

my $.02.

Then again, I'm young and like the idea of driving a race car all the time. Vroom vroom. :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Then again, I'm young and like the idea of driving a race car all the time. Vroom vroom. :D
I'm 'old' but feel the same way. Give me a factory Elise as light as possible with handling package. Delete the ac, sound deadening, etc., if possible! I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Boxster

Even Evo Magazine commented on how much nicer it was to have extra sound deadening material on the freeway. I'd rather not wear earplugs returning from Willow Springs just to save five pounds of weight.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Vantage said:
Boxster

Even Evo Magazine commented on how much nicer it was to have extra sound deadening material on the freeway. I'd rather not wear earplugs returning from Willow Springs just to save five pounds of weight.
I already use earplugs with the S2000. :(. Five pounds of weight is significant in my book, so that would be great. I think that insulation will be had on all versions of Elise, though.

It's cool we can all be happy with our different versions! Another reason the differences are available, I suppose.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
One thing I failed to consider however, is that Lotus may have already added a bit even before the package (I was going to edit my post, but you beat me to it). So I wonder if the little extra merely comes from the carpet which is also included in the package. I like having the aluminium bottom, so the decisiion keeps getting harder.

So you can feel five pounds? You must be Jenson Button!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Prolene said:
I already use earplugs with the S2000. :(.
Yeah, the S2000 is exactly why I'm thinking about the extra insulation for the Elise. I won't be racing it as much as I'll be driving it on the street... I just want people to be able to hear me on my cell phone, damnit !! :p

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the same boat as transio but do see others point (i.e. everyday race car) However, I do recognize that I (unfortunately) do more spirited driving around backroads than track time. That being the case I think I'd get to the extremes where the weight difference would matter that often. This question stemmed from looking at the seats in the type 49 picture and the ones in the article. Again, another case of shaking the sand box wondering whats in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts