The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased the Katana 2 and it will be shipped next week. DANG! Can't wait, I have been waiting to pull the trigger! Now I am looking for a reputable installer. I don't' care about installing it myself....I don't have the time and I don't want to worry about what I didn't do right! ;)

My first thoughts were to go to Park Place Ltd. I have had some minor work done there; 30K tune up, rear tire replacement and purchased some painted front chin protectors. So very basic service. The thing that worries me is the somewhat bad reputation they seem to have and standing behind their service. I stumbled across all this negativety while researching. Although I haven't had any issues with my experience others have. Of course the complainers get all the light and you rarely hear about all the praise. Every business has had disgruntled customers. If any of you could share your experience with their service dept it would be greatly appreciated. I am mainly interested in supercharger installs (and issues for that matter).

The other shop I am looking into (and I have heard great things!) is Cantrell's up in Kirkland. Anyone have any experience with these guys? They seem to be very knowledgeable and active in motor sports. This is the route I am leaning towards but I am waiting on their quote.

I have searched the forums (and googled blindly as well) and have read a few comments but the info is sparse and scattered, onesy-twosy comments here and there in posts. I figured I would reach out with my question directly to members in the local area. As you can see by my join date and post amount, I am mainly a lurker and use the board for knowledge and reference....so please dont tell me to use the search feature. Trust me we're freinds. Since being around for 3 years and no posts, thats how the majority of my time is spent on the board. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just purchased the Katana 2 and it will be shipped next week. DANG! Can't wait, I have been waiting to pull the trigger! Now I am looking for a reputable installer. I don't' care about installing it myself....I don't have the time and I don't want to worry about what I didn't do right! ;)

My first thoughts were to go to Park Place Ltd. I have had some minor work done there; 30K tune up, rear tire replacement and purchased some painted front chin protectors. So very basic service. The thing that worries me is the somewhat bad reputation they seem to have and standing behind their service. I stumbled across all this negativety while researching. Although I haven't had any issues with my experience others have. Of course the complainers get all the light and you rarely hear about all the praise. Every business has had disgruntled customers. If any of you could share your experience with their service dept it would be greatly appreciated. I am mainly interested in supercharger installs (and issues for that matter).

The other shop I am looking into (and I have heard great things!) is Cantrell's up in Kirkland. Anyone have any experience with these guys? They seem to be very knowledgeable and active in motor sports. This is the route I am leaning towards but I am waiting on their quote.

I have searched the forums (and googled blindly as well) and have read a few comments but the info is sparse and scattered, onesy-twosy comments here and there in posts. I figured I would reach out with my question directly to members in the local area. As you can see by my join date and post amount, I am mainly a lurker and use the board for knowledge and reference....so please dont tell me to use the search feature. Trust me we're freinds. Since being around for 3 years and no posts, thats how the majority of my time is spent on the board. Thanks for any input!

PP, no, Cantrell's yes.
I do all of my own work, but have used PP for warenty and Cantrell for a corner balance.
Other place I've had good luck with is Speedware in Redmond, they did some header fab for me recently.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Could you share quotes from both places for installation? I had my brakes checked out by Cantrell and it was a good experience.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far only one from PP, it was $1400. I had inquired a while back for an install and price of the factory charger when they were first released and they quoted out 7K. Ouch, I said no thanks!

For Cantrell, I have nothing back yet. I just called late this morning though. I requested dyno before and after as well, to see if they spot problems in addition to getting the HP numbers. I will post the quote when I get it.

I am really leaning towards Cantrell. Even though I have had no issues with PP, Cantrell just seems more of a right "fit" for this type of thing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got my quote back from Cantrell. Quite a bit higher, $2400. Keep in mind that this includes tax as well. The estimate of $1400 from PP did not include tax. It was also just installation of the SC only and a quick road test.

Cantrell's quote also includes before and after dyno results as well as the street testing. In addition they will be testing the setup. Looking at A/F conditions and so on to make sure it is "safe". I did some more research on the Porsche and BMW boards and folks had nothing but praise for these guys. I'm going this route. I'll keep y'all posted. Still interested in others opinions perhaps it can help others as well in their decision. May be expensive but a new motor is more :). There is also something to be said for piece of mind.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well got my quote back from Cantrell. Quite a bit higher, $2400. Keep in mind that this includes tax as well. The estimate of $1400 from PP did not include tax. It was also just installation of the SC only and a quick road test.

Cantrell's quote also includes before and after dyno results as well as the street testing. In addition they will be testing the setup. Looking at A/F conditions and so on to make sure it is "safe". I did some more research on the Porsche and BMW boards and folks had nothing but praise for these guys. I'm going this route. I'll keep y'all posted. Still interested in others opinions perhaps it can help others as well in their decision. May be expensive but a new motor is more :). There is also something to be said for piece of mind.
Yea, that's a fair price, sales tax would be 200 bucks, two trips to the dyno at 300 each or so, that's $800 of the grand diff...
PP's road test in my opinion would be the trip from the lift bay to the parking lot, as that's the extent of testing they did when they replaced my motor under warrenty...

·
Registered
280 Posts
PP did my sc install. But took forever like two weeks. IMO they do good work its just those two customer service reps are really not pleasant to deal with. They never return phone calls and dont get back with inquiries.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kit did they install for you?

As far as time I was told to expect around 18hrs for everything to be completed. My car goes in on 10/23. Cantrell has a few things going on and if I could wait until then, he would get me in at this time and just dedicate a guy to it. I do like that approach.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem! I'll let you guys know how it all plays out. I can't wait to check out the power difference. The only thing is now....I wish I would have gone with one of the newer blower setups. Oh well, I can't complain....the sc was a gift from the wife. She completely surprised me. I was having a beer with a bud saying how I wanted one and she chimed in....I ordered the one from the link you sent me a year ago!

I shouldn't complain!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah! But I am sure it would be worth every penny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts