The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and this hasn't been posted as far as I can see.

Full Test: 2006 Lotus Exige by Secant Vehicles - Inside Line

So my take is:

1. Secant should leave the wheels and tires alone

2. They need to stop adding weight. 2169 lbs? WTH did they do to it?

3. The engine is strong, but needs slightly better gearing. The 7800 RPM redline option might help.

4. Only a tad quicker than an S240 apparently. This would only make sense for Elise owners and NA Exige owners. Exige S and 240 owners would be better off with other effective mods.

5. Still an Exige at heart, which is a good thing

I like this engine...241 lb-ft of torque...of course, the wider gearing negates much of that increase.

And here's a second opinion from a Senior Writer at Edmunds:

Senior Writer at Edmunds said:
Senior Road Test Editor Josh Jacquot says:
The Lotus Elise and Exige are purposeful cars designed to walk a fine line. They balance aggressive-yet-compliant suspension tuning on the very slippery slope of utterly worthless-for-a-street-car ride quality. Their powertrains are matched precisely to the task at hand, their brakes have exactly the right thermal capacity and response, and their manual steering is tuned for perfect feedback without requiring too much effort. It's a harmony that's hard to achieve, but Lotus pulls it off. Barely.

Secant Vehicles doesn't. At least not yet.

Secant's Type 1 Exige leaves me with more questions than answers. First, Lotus already builds this car in the form of the Exige S 240 — a brilliantly balanced machine, which performs and costs about the same as Secant's version. Second, like mixing motor oil with a fine Chianti, Secant's mods don't do the carefully proportioned Lotus any favors.

Here's the short list. It's dangerously loud, some 101 dBA by our measurements — intense enough to cause hearing damage with prolonged exposure. Its tachometer doesn't keep up with the engine in 1st gear and there's no physical redline on the gauge, which makes finding a shift point a trial-and-error procedure. Its tires rub and its wheel offset is wrong, which screws up its steering.

There's more, but you get the point. If I were going to spend 70 grand on one of these cars, it would be the one with the Toyota engine and the finely honed balance.

So basically, Secant made a big mistake by giving them this highly modified car. Just give them the engine. All the other crap Secant added just clouded the experience for these Edmunds writers and in turn, a bad review.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i saw that i read the article but still that seems awfully low. stock katanas make more than that. not nearly as much torque but not nearly as expensive. some good points in there. couldnt watch the video not enough bandwith on this lil 3rd world island in indonesia

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
$91k for s240 perfomance:huh: on race gas ... sign me up! :thwack:
"Here's the short list. It's dangerously loud, some 101 dBA by our measurements — intense enough to cause hearing damage with prolonged exposure. Its tachometer doesn't keep up with the engine in 1st gear and there's no physical redline on the gauge, which makes finding a shift point a trial-and-error procedure. Its tires rub and its wheel offset is wrong, which screws up its steering.

There's more, but you get the point. If I were going to spend 70 grand on one of these cars, it would be the one with the Toyota engine and the finely honed balance."

sounds like a no go to me... I'm not surprised tho:no:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it is. That's why for Exige S and 240 owners, this is a silly thing to do.

But imagine if you could have an Elise...used or otherwise, because the engine's gonna swapped for new anyways. $30k + $20k = $50k. And performance better than an Exige S 240? Now it sounds like a sweeter deal.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
well at least we now know for sure 255s and 225s are too large for this car. so are 17s and 18s.

just get Gotham and a few other parts and drop some weight and you'll be faster than this car.

I like the effort and work they put into it. It's a real nice conversion kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A message from SECANT Vehicles

Hi All,

As some of you know, I'm on the SECANT team and have been active on this board for several months now.

I'd like to weigh in with my thoughts on the Inside Line review and set the record straight for the LT community.

* The car: Inside Line tested a development mule. It was not a final production model and the publication was well aware of it. They did not want to wait for a full production version. In hindsight, we should have held off until we were ready. But hey, hindsight is 20/20

* Fuel Issue: Indeed the car they tested was calibrated for 49 state pump gas - 93 Octane. California gas sucks at 91 Octane and the production cars will be calibrated to accept CA grade 91 pump octane. The calibration is currently undergoing final testing.

* Dyno issue: Our car puts out 280 HP at the crank with 240 pd/ft torque. The Inside Line figures are flawed as they were obtained on a dyno under unknown circumstances. We suspect that they did not set the correct drive ratio on the dyno. It's easily validated by assuring that the RPM on the tach in the car equals the RPM that the dyno reads out. We verified that the engine calibration is all set to 7000 rpm. On the road it bumps off the rev-limiter at 7000 RPM.

* Wheel/tire rubbing issue: We know it's an issue and they were told about it. The suspension is still under development and we are confident that the rub issue will be eliminated.

* Handling issue: A new suspension part had to be installed a few hours prior to delivery to Inside Line so we were not able to set it up optimally. You can refer to my "Help" posting a month ago.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/no-longer-need-help-southern-california-today-57322/

* Noise issue: Yes the car IS loud. However, it is equipped with a noise reduction system that significantly reduces in cabin noise levels at cruising speeds. I can have a normal conversation in the car at 80 MPH on the freeway. That is, until you step on it. If it's too loud for you, buy a Camry

* Price VS value issue: Our car will blow away any Exige S240 on the road or track no matter what Inside Line says. Our power and torque peaks are substantially higher. That said, we agree that our conversion is best suited for N/A Elise and Exige models. However, our upcoming Type I-s package will blow the doors off any modified Toyota powered Exige.:shift:

I feel they failed to mention several of the good things about us, such as our one year unlimited mile warrantee and all the development work we've done to date. They put over 1000 hard miles on the car and nothing broke - except the front splitter they cracked after "hitting a cone". The comparison with Carroll Shelby's Cobra was appreciated but I'm sure they would have hated the car were it introduced today.

Best,
Robert

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Based on my experience, I take exception with the following:

Their powertrains are matched precisely to the task at hand
Not so sure. :(

It's dangerously loud, some 101 dBA by our measurements — intense enough to cause hearing damage with prolonged exposure.
I was at 107.1 dBA WOT. :evil:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All,

As some of you know, I'm on the SECANT team and have been active on this board for several months now.

I'd like to weigh in with my thoughts on the Inside Line review and set the record straight for the LT community.

* The car: Inside Line tested a development mule. It was not a final production model and the publication was well aware of it. They did not want to wait for a full production version. In hindsight, we should have held off until we were ready. But hey, hindsight is 20/20

* Fuel Issue: Indeed the car they tested was calibrated for 49 state pump gas - 93 Octane. California gas sucks at 91 Octane and the production cars will be calibrated to accept CA grade 91 pump octane. The calibration is currently undergoing final testing.

* Dyno issue: Our car puts out 280 HP at the crank with 240 pd/ft torque. The Inside Line figures are flawed as they were obtained on a dyno under unknown circumstances. We suspect that they did not set the correct drive ratio on the dyno. It's easily validated by assuring that the RPM on the tach in the car equals the RPM that the dyno reads out. We verified that the engine calibration is all set to 7000 rpm. On the road it bumps off the rev-limiter at 7000 RPM.

* Wheel/tire rubbing issue: We know it's an issue and they were told about it. The suspension is still under development and we are confident that the rub issue will be eliminated.

* Handling issue: A new suspension part had to be installed a few hours prior to delivery to Inside Line so we were not able to set it up optimally. You can refer to my "Help" posting a month ago.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/no-longer-need-help-southern-california-today-57322/

* Noise issue: Yes the car IS loud. However, it is equipped with a noise reduction system that significantly reduces in cabin noise levels at cruising speeds. I can have a normal conversation in the car at 80 MPH on the freeway. That is, until you step on it. If it's too loud for you, buy a Camry

* Price VS value issue: Our car will blow away any Exige S240 on the road or track no matter what Inside Line says. Our power and torque peaks are substantially higher. That said, we agree that our conversion is best suited for N/A Elise and Exige models. However, our upcoming Type I-s package will blow the doors off any modified Toyota powered Exige.:shift:

I feel they failed to mention several of the good things about us, such as our one year unlimited mile warrantee and all the development work we've done to date. They put over 1000 hard miles on the car and nothing broke - except the front splitter they cracked after "hitting a cone". The comparison with Carroll Shelby's Cobra was appreciated but I'm sure they would have hated the car were it introduced today.

Best,
Robert

Hi Robert,

I really think there were too many outside, distracting variables in their test to give a full, elaborate review. I wanted to hear more about the improved power and engine performance and all they did was complain about the wheels rubbing, etc. For what it's worth, I'd buy the conversion if I could.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was at a local fireworks here in Michigan... and one of the engineers of this came up and starting to chit chat with me! I got excited listening to the outputs and what not! But now after reading the added weight... the major changes to the car in which i believe is PERFECT even N/A like mine... I am sorta disappointed.

I would rather just put a K series N/A in my car than going with something like this...

If I wanted to get that high Ecotec power in a decent light car I would just strip a Cobalt SS... We all have seen the Ring times with the new Turbo'd Ecotec... its impressive!

But out at Waterford I was able to drive and watch loti in there natural habitat... a SMALL race track with a lot of strong turns and awesome drivers! I don't believe there is a need for added weight to make more power... if anything lose the weight and be able to carry momentum more through a turn!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm guessing tires... wheels... all that stuff is gonna add up... the brakes of course... Yes a lot of this same added items are on the S etc... but something is doing it!

anyone know the base weight of a ecotec compared to the 2ZZ... probably heavier due to the size difference.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What have you discovered/estimate the 0-60 and the top speed to be? Does your conversion alter the handling in any manner... you did mention some suspension changes? And good luck with everything.

:shift:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts