The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the "Boomerang" rear tow hook from Sector 111.

Do they rattle if I don't put something in between the tow hook and the rear diffuser?

I saw some of the members putting some sort of padding in between... (here's a previous disucssion - link)

Frank Amoroso -

Waydui -

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hummm I never tried it without anything but I don't think it would. I used some velcro backing from work and haven't heard anything.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I put the soft side of industrial strength velcro on mine in a couple places to cushion it. Attach it to the tow hook and not the diffuser to make sure no heat related issues occur.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did yours come with washers and screws? I just got my shipment by FedEx, and only thing in the box was the tow hook...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did yours come with washers and screws? I just got my shipment by FedEx, and only thing in the box was the tow hook...
+1

I purchase mine used and only got the tow hook as well. Are longer bolts and washers required?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Yes, you need new hardware (mine did anyway). A longer bolt and several flat washers to bring the indention level with the rest of the diffuser. I went to a higher level hardness bolt as well. The other thread gives details on the bolt and washer combos some have used. Make sure you leave the stock washer (which has a lip on it) in the stock location and layer a washer or two on top of it, then the hook, another flat washer then bolt it down.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Do they rattle if I don't put something in between the tow hook and the rear diffuser?
Hi Patrick,
I first tried mine without the velcro/padding and I got an occasional, slight banging noise.

The "tongue" is rather long and being held in place by only 2 bolts at the other ends, it did tend to bounce a bit. The velcro fixed it right up. No noise now. :up:

All new hardware for me too, although I re-used the original "lipped" washers.

Haven't had to use the tow hook yet, which is fine with me!! ;)

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. I just went to Lowe's and bought some velcro tapes.

I am going to install it tomorrow. Very excited about it! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So what has everyone figured to be the best installation method?

Bolt (M8x1.25x35mm), lock washer, fender washer, tow hook, washer x 3, OEM fender washer.

or

Bolt (M8x1.25x35mm), washer, fender washer, tow hook, washer x 2, OEM fender washer

or

Bolt (M8x1.25x35mm), fender washer, tow hook, washer x 3, OEM fender washer

or

Bolt (M8x1.25x35mm), fender washer, tow hook, washer x 2, OEM fender washer.

Of course there are many more options and combinations and I have read all the links, but a final answer was never truely given.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I use OEM (with lip), 2 fender (same diameter as oem), tow hook, regular (non-fender) washer, locking washer (split ring type), bolt.

Don't forget to add a bit of Velcro as above to prevent rattle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts