The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my car inspected and the shop found the rear tie rod ends to be a little loose and they recommend not tracking the car. So I want to replace the worn parts and I'm trying to decide between Sector 111's DSbrace or their RTD2brace. Here are the links for each one:

DSbrace - light rear toe link brace for your Lotus

RTD2brace

I mostly drive the car on the street but I have plans to track it for a few days this year.

Does anyone have any experience with these kits and which one do you recommend?

TIA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I don't have any personal experience, but from reading around it looks like any of the less expensive kits will resolve the issue, without needing to spend a ton of money.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize any of the kits will resolve the issue but I'm trying to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck (performance gains, improvement in feel, etc.).

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a DSBrace too. Easy install, peace of mind, and the only one I've ever heard of failing was almost certainly due to a misinstallation.

If you're fast and running slicks, the RTD2brace might be worth considering since it adds additional stiffness.

But with the RTD2brace kit costing an awful lot, I don't really see a reason to buy it unless you know you need it.

The DSBrace feels exactly like stock. Can't even tell it's on there. I'd imagine the RTD2brace might make things feel a bit stiffer, although again if you're not running slicks I'm not sure how dramatic the effect will be.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I dont think it matters at all, unless you are on full slicks and fond of running over the curbing. Anysort of strengthening of the toe links will be fine. They are marginal from the factory, not completely deficient.

To my eyes The DSbrace looks like a better design anyways.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What I liked about the RTD2brace was that it was a very similar design to Lotus OE solution with the track bar. It DOES NOT add any stiffness since that member is already very stiff, it simply add a double shear to the bolts.

That being said, maybe the OP can buy someones OEM track bar and hardware that switched to Sector111 components. That's what i was looking to do until I found RTD2brace at a complete steal.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It DOES NOT add any stiffness since that member is already very stiff, it simply add a double shear to the bolts.
I only mentioned the additional stiffness because Shinoo claims that's a feature of the RTD2Brace v. the DSBrace:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1751182-post21.html

Although with no data to back it up, who really knows. If the RTD2Brace doesn't actually add stiffness, I don't really see it being particularly superior to the DSBrace. The lighter outboard links might help a tad bit with unsprung weight, I suppose, and the extra strength might lend some peace of mind if you love bouncing through curbing at the track.

I do agree that it makes good sense to look for a used OEM setup.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Are these alternatives to the S111 solutions? Out of curiosity, care to share some other companies?
I think I'm personally going to go with the BOE 1/2 links. It's cheaper, will fix the issue, and looks to be a simple install.

You do have to enlarge the bolt holes in the frame, though. If you're not comfortable drilling into your car, l would go with S111. Using a new drill bit for each side should make it an easier process.

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I only mentioned the additional stiffness because Shinoo claims that's a feature of the RTD2Brace v. the DSBrace:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1751182-post21.html

Although with no data to back it up, who really knows. If the RTD2Brace doesn't actually add stiffness, I don't really see it being particularly superior to the DSBrace. The lighter outboard links might help a tad bit with unsprung weight, I suppose, and the extra strength might lend some peace of mind if you love bouncing through curbing at the track.

I do agree that it makes good sense to look for a used OEM setup.
I hear ya, I'm sure it would, its just that since that part of the frame is so stiff, the center bar doesn't have a chance to provide any added stiffness or would be very hard to measure.

If going the OEM track bar setup, don't forget to use nordlocks!

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I dont think it matters at all, unless you are on full slicks and fond of running over the curbing. Anysort of strengthening of the toe links will be fine. They are marginal from the factory, not completely deficient.

To my eyes The DSbrace looks like a better design anyways.
I agree. Unless on full slicks the DS brace is fine and great added protection. That's what I use.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone installed the RTD2brace themselves? My local shop just quoted me $750 to $900 (alignment included) to install the kit.

I'm now considering doing this myself and having the shop do the alignment. It looks pretty straight forward but never having done it before - what do I know???

Let me know what you think.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
I think I'm personally going to go with the BOE 1/2 links. It's cheaper, will fix the issue, and looks to be a simple install.

You do have to enlarge the bolt holes in the frame, though. If you're not comfortable drilling into your car, l would go with S111. Using a new drill bit for each side should make it an easier process.

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products
Keeping it simple and using excellent fasteners was the key when we did our brace. Rather than hardware store bolts, we use NAS and AN hardware like you'll find on many professional race cars. Attaching the two joints with a bar never made sense to me. They're heavy, not truly double sheer, and make service a pain... That whole "track pack" toe-link brace concept was another one of those Lotus WTF moments...

-Phil

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I think the track pack brace is one of those lotus intern designed parts. Im not sure who that guy is but i have a few issues I would like to discuss with him.

It is worth noting that the s111 is different as it is rigidly tied to the subframe. As I said I think any solution is fine for most.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
I think the track pack brace is one of those lotus intern designed parts. Im not sure who that guy is but i have a few issues I would like to discuss with him.

It is worth noting that the s111 is different as it is rigidly tied to the subframe. As I said I think any solution is fine for most.
No doubt the aftermarket fixes all seem to be strong enough. I obviously prefer variants without the bar... The more you work on these cars, whether at the track or garage, the simpler the system can be the better:up:... lighter weight is a perk sans the bar as well...

Add that track pack brace to long list of of intern designed parts on these cars! lol

-Phil

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I obviously prefer variants without the bar... The more you work on these cars, whether at the track or garage, the simpler the system can be the better:up:... lighter weight is a perk sans the bar as well...
yup, I run the DSbrace for that reason as well

addresses weak point while using less parts :up:

either way fixing the problem of the rear links are a good insurance policy for the future

1 - 20 of 22 Posts