The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally picked up my exige after about 2.5 years due to being stationed overseas. Of course the battery was dead so I figured it would be a good time to switch over to a lighter deka battery.

Everything was going well until the rusted battery bracket bolt decided to strip its head. I soaked it with pbblaster and then I went out to buy a stripped screw removal kit. Due to my **** luck, the drill bit snapped while making the pilot hole foe the tool lol. Now I can't even drill into it anymore in attempt to extract it out.

My question is, can I drill/tap a new hole adjacent to the old one? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything important for me to drill into by accident. Also, are those two rivets holding the thread where the stripped bolt is stuck into?

Worst case I was planning on putting velcro on the battery and the inokinetic bracket.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you have a dremel tool, cut a straight slit in the middle of the screw. A smaller (half worn) round cutting wheel is better to minimize you cutting a bit into the clam shell body composite. Then use a straight edge screwdriver.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a dremel tool, cut a straight slit in the middle of the screw. A smaller (half worn) round cutting wheel is better to minimize you cutting a bit into the clam shell body composite. Then use a straight edge screwdriver.
I'll give that a shot

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I believe that is a rivnut in a spreading-plate that is riveted to the clam. It would be way preferable to get that old machine screw out. I agree with Nobuyasu but you'll be cutting the broken drill so it will likely take a diamond wheel and a lot of patience. The heat from all the cutting should help loosen the screw.

You might also look at using a small hole-saw (I saw this: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-8-inch-Diamond-Ceramic-Porcelain/dp/B073LWY6B9) to extract the rivnut and then use a larger rivnut to replace it (I think that is an M6 which you could replace with an M8).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the dremel and it didn't work. With the diamond wheel, I made a nice slit for the flathead but it would not budge by hand and the metal piece would keep breaking off if I used a power tool. The good news is I was able to take out the broken drill bit, but still could not extract the stripped bolt even with 2 separate extraction tools. Must have really seized up in there lol.

Ended up just velcroing what I could for now.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I believe that's a nut plate, as Lotus used a lot of those in various parts of the car.
The plate is held onto the clam via the two adjacent rivets and a nut is welded on to the plate.

If you drill the rivets out, you should be able to remove the nut plate.
It would be trivial to fab and mount a new one, but probably impossible without taking the clam off. I'm not sure if you can get to it from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
It is a nut plate but there is a heat shield preventing access to backside.continue drilling out the
old screw.use any kind of oil on your drill.Then retap or helicoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts