The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2006 Lotus Elise
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their brake lines with the stainless steel ones from Sector 111 themselves? I was wondering what the difficulty level is and how long it would take to change and flush out the old brake fluid.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Nope...noone's ever done this. (I heard the right front is the worst tho)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I did this once before.

The rear is easy. The front is difficult because you'll need to either cut out a particular area to gain access to the brakes line fittings or find a special wrench that will fit in the tiny access hole.
Bleeding the front caliper is more difficult than the rear.

Look for some pictures to get an idea...

·
hello
295 Posts
Fronts are difficult to get to. A lot easier with the clam off. The rears are easy to replace and most likely not that useful. If you take the wheels off, it is pretty easy to understand the potential difficulty.

If you get a big air pocket in the calipers, then bleeding them could be frustrating. For example you might have to flush with the caliper upside down, drive car and engage abs, then flush again.

I opted to have mine done at a shop when the clam was off for a radiator replacement. I did not think I could get to the front opening by myself with the clam on.

While you are doing brakes and flushing, I recommend the boe stainless steel pistons. Easy to replace by yourself.

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/how-bleed-brakes-241138/

Front lines:

There is a small rectangular hole in metal under the access panels and the grilles. It is the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Driver's side is, of course, tight, but is certainly doable.

Because of hard metal lines (a/c, etc), the passenger side is tighter.

I ground down 4 wrenches, which were spares.

I left the ss line loose at caliper end and was able to turn the line with one hand and hold the wrench with the other. That may have been a mistake; not sure.

Then removed caliper and attached ss line.

But, I kept the swivel fitting loose enough to turn the line so it curved to the caliper properly.

Exiges haven't the same access panel, grilles and clam must be removed IIRC.

·
2006 Lotus Elise
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man....I didn't think it'd be such a difficult process to do this on our cars. I've done it before on my other cars and it was pretty straight forward and easy.

Thanks for all the feedback on this fellas, much obliged!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts