The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car with this T-Top setup installed that the prior owner thought was originally built by Sector 111. It was built with four gas struts to help lift the tops up for easier ingress and egress, but the struts are shot and I can’t seem to find replacements; the one set I found on Amazon with similar numerical designations were so hard to push in they just didn’t work.

Wanted to see if anyone had an idea where to find replacements.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car
Office supplies Pen Font Laser pointer Electronic cigarette

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Also - and not related nor helpful to your strut search - be aware that the T-Top roof was a super rare aftermarket option. They come up for sale now and again, and are snapped up in a hurry. Cool bit of kit, but I think Stress Craxx has the right idea to shop generic based on sizing.

Nice car!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll let you sift through it, but these guys might have one that has the right dimensions and attachment points:
Gas Struts | McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info, @carphoria. I like that it's unique but may ultimately end up selling or trading for a traditional hardtop as I would like to be able to run the BOE clam hinge.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3935, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
373 Posts
I bought my car with this T-Top setup installed that the prior owner thought was originally built by Sector 111. It was built with four gas struts to help lift the tops up for easier ingress and egress, but the struts are shot and I can’t seem to find replacements; the one set I found on Amazon with similar numerical designations were so hard to push in they just didn’t work.

Wanted to see if anyone had an idea where to find replacements. View attachment 1297598 View attachment 1297599
There was a Lotus dealer on the East coast (Hunting Ridge Motors) that offered the T top. They are no longer in business but the owner, Mark Starr might have specs on what his shop used : Mark Starr (914) 217-4817‬)

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: 2011 Audi S4 Manual
291 Posts
There was a Lotus dealer on the East coast (Hunting Ridge Motors) that offered the T top. They are no longer in business but the owner, Mark Starr might have specs on what his shop used : Mark Starr (914) 217-4817‬)
What do you mean they closed? I don't think this is accurate. HRM is still open (see their available cars on Hunting Ridge Motors), and I have seen Mark Starr selling cars on BaT (and I note that I chased one of his low mileage Elises on BaT back in Summer 2020).

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3935, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
373 Posts
What do you mean they closed? I don't think this is accurate. HRM is still open (see their available cars on Hunting Ridge Motors), and I have seen Mark Starr selling cars on BaT (and I note that I chased one of his low mileage Elises on BaT back in Summer 2020).
I meant his brick and mortar facility is closed. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,456 Posts
Yes, Sector111 used to sell those Gullwing Roofs in the early days. But not for long as the production times were long. They came from England along with those struts. I can't offer any replacement suggestions. :(

·
Registered
2005 Nightfall Blue Lotus Elise
36 Posts
@Wakefreak33 I have the T-top (gullwing top) as well, with some brand new struts on the roof. If you can wait until tomorrow I'll go outside to my car and snap a picture of the struts and part numbers labeled on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts