The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been plugging away with some new product development with our friends at Girodisc. Our AP BBK is an 'Evil' solution - no doubt. But a 'Good' alternative is clearly needed.....
Expect this front kit in about a month or less for under $2k. Designed to fit in a 16" wheel.

We've had to make a few tweaks to the brackets so should be testing them very soon....if you are interested pls contact us and we will get you on our list.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do these Willwoods have dust seals on the pistons?
Yes. See more info below. Girodisc has had great success with these calipers in much heavier cars. The overall small profile gives us the opportunity to fit them to our 16" wheels. I've highlighted the features that are really sweet:

Billet DynaPro Caliper Highlights:
The DynaPro four-piston radial mount caliper combines pure race technology with a new generation of Wilwood performance enhancements. Its sleek profile, superior strength, and durability in adverse conditions are easily adapted to a broad range of sports, rally and off-road driving applications.

The strength of the DynaPro is a combination of process and design. The process of stress-flow forging re-aligns the metal's grain structure within the contour of the caliper body. This eliminates the stresses and interruptions to the internal grain structure that occur when machining a straight block billet. The FEA generated radial transition design eliminates steps and shoulders in the area between the piston housing body and the caliper bridges. Incorporating a radius in this critical area substantially increases resistance to deflection and caliper separation under load. Structural deflection and volume displacement tests have proven the efficiency of this innovative design. Without even considering the overall greater strength and reliability of the billet forging, the reduction in overall deflection and fluid volume displacement translate to increased clamping efficiency with less pedal travel. The bottom line is a firm pedal with outstanding stopping power.
The superior strength of this innovative design is combined with a new generation of Wilwood performance features. The DynaPro uses a new 7816 type brake pad that is supported from the top by Quick-Clip pad retainers. This feature eliminates the need for a pad support step in the bottom of the caliper and adds additional clearance for mounting closer to the hub on small wheel and small rotor applications. The Quick-Clips also accommodate easy pad access without caliper removal. Other new Wilwood features include coated aluminum pistons fitted with high temperature rubber boots that seal out dirt, moisture, and debris from the piston bores in less than friendly environments.

Every caliper is equipped with Wilwood's SRS stainless steel bridge plates. The SRS plates eliminate the bridge wear caused by pad gouging and extend the service life of the caliper body. The spring-loading action of the SRS plates also eliminates pad rattle and dampens the vibration harmonics that contribute to squeal under braking. Internal fluid passages eliminate the need for external tubes. Four corner bleed screws assure simple and effective air evacuation, and allow one caliper to be mounted in any front, rear, right or left position.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the revised brackets in today. I will test fit this week once the Exige is back from Paladin.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I had the Wilwood Big Brake set up on my Miata also and loved them. Serious stopping power.

Shinoo, how much does setup this weigh compared to stock?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the Wilwood Big Brake set up on my Miata also and loved them. Serious stopping power.

Shinoo, how much does setup this weigh compared to stock?
Mick,
Lighter than stock. I will have the official weights soon.

The kit is now on the road and getting some miles on it. Initial feedback is great. One great plus is that the stock forged wheel fit with no spacers.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul will be out at the Paladin Open House on Sept 6th to share his feedback on the brakes. Come on out and talk it over with him.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We tested them at Streets of Willow yesterday with great results. Paul is a driving instructor who teaches on that track - so he knows it well. He pounded his Exige with our 308BBK and was very happy. I drove his car and found them to work very well. Excellent pedal feel and easy to modulate. No fade was noticed. I think you guys will be very pleased.

We should have them in stock within a week or so. You can preorder here: 308BBK

·
Registered
604 Posts
Compatible with stock rubber lines?

Shinoo-- I understand replacing front brake lines on an Exige is pretty difficult without removing the front clam. To avoid (or defer) this pain, will the stock rubber lines properly attach to these Wilwood calipers?

Thanks.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shinoo-- I understand replacing front brake lines on an Exige is pretty difficult without removing the front clam. To avoid (or defer) this pain, will the stock rubber lines properly attach to these Wilwood calipers?

Thanks.
Unfortunately the fittings are different. Talk with Rob @ DietschWerks in Santa Clara, he can do the swap and save you the headache of clam removal.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Am I the only here that think upgrading the front only is gonna screw the balance?

I remember when some Miata tuner went with Baer BBK and the car actually took longer to stop despite the bigger more powerful, front brakes. I saw it happen on a Civic brake in Sport Compact Car. The frint bias killed the stopping distance.

I also feel our car can use more rear brake bias for track use. So I think a BBK for the front only is not gonna help shorten braking distance. In fact, it might now take longer. This happens all the time and I have yet to see hard numbers of front biased BBK that shortens braking distance.

The only true advantage is better fade resistance. But if you use track pads, fresh fluid and titanium shims, I doubt you will ever fade the stock braking system. Plus, you might actually brake harder than with a front biased BBK.

I'd really like to see a BBK for the rear brakes. Or at least a full BBK (front and rear) then we should see some improvements.

My 0,02$.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Am I the only here that think upgrading the front only is gonna screw the balance?

I remember when some Miata tuner went with Baer BBK and the car actually took longer to stop despite the bigger more powerful, front brakes. I saw it happen on a Civic brake in Sport Compact Car. The frint bias killed the stopping distance.

I also feel our car can use more rear brake bias for track use. So I think a BBK for the front only is not gonna help shorten braking distance. In fact, it might now take longer. This happens all the time and I have yet to see hard numbers of front biased BBK that shortens braking distance.

The only true advantage is better fade resistance. But if you use track pads, fresh fluid and titanium shims, I doubt you will ever fade the stock braking system. Plus, you might actually brake harder than with a front biased BBK.

I'd really like to see a BBK for the rear brakes. Or at least a full BBK (front and rear) then we should see some improvements.

My 0,02$.
Sector does have APs for front and rear. You can also do what the elise parts hubs do. They are setup for the front AP calipers(from the cup car) to bolt right up and then for the stock front calipers to bolt to the rear.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts