The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I found myself in the middle of East Bumblephuque, Alabama doing a small private track day. :coolnana: At 10 AM after only about 30 laps I find my right front brake pads gone. No pad material left. Metal on metal. If I can't replace these pads my day is shot. :panic: But where am I gonna find a Lotus dealer or Lotus brake pads in the middle of nowhere? Who could I call, I think to myself, who could help me out. I'm sure that some other more commonly available pad would work, but which one? The only person that I could think of who might know such rare information is my buddy Shinoo at Sector111. Out of the blue I call him and ask him what brake pad I can find to get me going again. Within a matter of minutes he calls me back with the answer: the rear brake pad from a 350Z track package. I drive to the nearest town and find an Advance Auto Parts store. Luckily they have some in stock. Back at the track I have the front pads replaced in 30 minutes and I'm back in action.:clap:

Time after time I have experienced nothing but the best customer service from Sector111. Even when not purchasing something but simply asking for some advice or information, they're always quick with a response and a great attitude. Kudos to them for knowing how to interact with their customers the right way.:bow:

Kudos also go to the LT member (can't remember who) who last week posted the video on how to change your brake pads. Without first seeing this video last week I would have been quite lost on how to get started. :( That video perfectly described the process and had me going (and stopping) in no time.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
i know this is a kudos thread, but i just can't get the past the obvious question of "who did your pre-event technical inspection?"

unless you suffered from a caliper malfuntion, you arrived for a track day with a potenteially (very) hazardous condition.

your outcome was about as good as one could have hoped for, given that you didn't have spare pads on-hand and must not have had any other lotus with you at the event.

lessons learned:
* go over every inch of the car yourself before you put your life at risk at the track
* have spare parts with you at the track, such as front and rear pads, engine oil, extra wheel lug tool (if you have OE bolts) etc
* have S111's phone number on speeddial

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the pre-event inspection and thought that 1/4" of pad material would be enough. In fact only the right front outside pad went to nothing. All of the other pads on the front axle still had at least 1/8" of material when I took them off the car.

The track I was at (I'd previously driven it 25 -30 times) was recently reconfigured and is now much harder on brakes. Three of the Porsches I was running with also suffered from brake issues.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I did the pre-event inspection and thought that 1/4" of pad material would be enough. In fact only the right front outside pad went to nothing. All of the other pads on the front axle still had at least 1/8" of material when I took them off the car.

The track I was at (I'd previously driven it 25 -30 times) was recently reconfigured and is now much harder on brakes. Three of the Porsches I was running with also suffered from brake issues.
you must have been suffering from a mechanical issue, as i can't fathom going through an actual 1/4" (nearly full thickness) in one or two sessions no matter the configuration of a given track. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Arent the rear pads the same as an early Viper too?! Bremmbos?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Mick.
What pads did you start the day with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts