The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the Schroth harness has a narrow figure-8 shaped bolt-end that will fit very nicely inside the existing belt mount channel. My harnesses have standard issue bolt-ends like these pictures. I want to mount either the subs or laps to the standard belt mount point (maybe both, but probably not), but don't know if they will fit. Anyone done this? Is it possible to buy the Schroth bolt-ends if mine won't fit? I couldn't find anywhere selling them.

Thanks everyone,
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
as i mentioned in your other thread, if you buy from a good vendor, they should be able to supply all the necessary parts you'll need. i had a problem fitting my slider locks into my anti-sub seat cutouts, so they gave me some smaller ones. i needed longer eye bolts and they had them. i needed more locking washers and they had them. i needed backer plates and they had them, i wanted a couple of extra lap belt clip ends and they gave them to me. find a good vendor and give them your business.

have you taken your seat out and really noodled through your proposed set-up? pay particular attention to the molded-in nut in the seat shell that retains the stock 3pt belt's lower two points. if you proceed as you mention (with the lap and antisub belts attaching there), virtually all of your load will be relying upon those nuts to stay in place in the event of an impact.

as always, $0.02

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ace,

Any recommendation for vendors? My worry is that the narrow bolt-ends will be a Schroth exclusive that cannot be bought separately.

I haven't been able to noodle around because my car is still down at HRM. I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks, but want to have all the necesary parts when I do.

I haven't seen the how the stock belt is secured. If it looks sketchy, I'll probably just mount the subs there and put the laps through the tub.

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Thanks Ace,

Any recommendation for vendors? My worry is that the narrow bolt-ends will be a Schroth exclusive that cannot be bought separately.

I haven't been able to noodle around because my car is still down at HRM. I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks, but want to have all the necesary parts when I do.

I haven't seen the how the stock belt is secured. If it looks sketchy, I'll probably just mount the subs there and put the laps through the tub.

Thanks again,
Tom
find a good, local race shop. go in and talk to them. look at what they have to offer. if you're going to buy before you have the have in your possession, make sure you can return the stuff if it's wrong. there are so many models of harnesses from the big mfgs... different buckles, different widths, different lap belt configs, different ends to the belts.

and i'm 100% not trying to suggest that the stock belts are not in compliance with safety regs or are otherwise inadequate, i just really didn't like what i saw when i started disassembling things. going through the rail for the lap belts gave ME a warmer feeling of safety.

·
Registered
856 Posts
...i had a problem fitting my slider locks into my anti-sub seat cutouts, so they gave me some smaller ones...
Hey Ace -
Do you have any pics of your sub install with Titanium Dave's bars? Any guess as to what size hole would need to be cut in order to accommodate the stock slider locks?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Ace -
Do you have any pics of your sub install with Titanium Dave's bars? Any guess as to what size hole would need to be cut in order to accommodate the stock slider locks?
Thanks
i was so heads-down, stressed-out doing the install, that i didn't take a single photo at any point.

i know the anti-sub belt hole that i cut was 6" X 1 3/4". i located them direcly aft of the seat frame cross bar. just run a sharpie against the cross rail, and you'll have one edge for the hole. drill through the shell at each corner of the cutout outline and connect the dots with a dremel cutting disc (or larger). i let the upholsterer remove the padding and cut the leather for the actual slot. the finished hole, with the sewn in leather sleeve, is just under 5.25" wide.

if you want to use the stock sparco/schroth sliders i'd probably make the hole 6.5". the ones that my retailer offered me were made of thicker material, but only 2.5" wide. obviously, i did a six point install.

the narrow sliders present a slightly more comfortable situation in that vital area. -eek-

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Gonna break out the drill tonight and try not to make too much of a mess of things. Will probably also look into the narrow sliders just for comfort's sake. :up:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Gonna break out the drill tonight and try not to make too much of a mess of things. Will probably also look into the narrow sliders just for comfort's sake. :up:
wear a mask and eye protection... the smoke and dust from the shell is really nasty. i worked on mine outside. :up:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts