The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was my experience on my 2005. Your experience may (probably wont) vary. When they say micro, they were not kidding. Its like 3" wide and 1.5" high. The mirror is very well made. Its aluminum and machined nicely. This mirror requires you to remove the old mirror to install. This is where things started going bad for me. I am a fairly accomplished mechanic. I know my limits and mirrors.... are within them. Long story shortened, I released the holding clip and tried to remove the mirror and the windshield broke... In fairness there was already a small star from rock damage but I did not apply very much force and the window cracked. So Today I had the glass replaced, Let me recommend you make ALOT of calls and find an experienced repair man. This was definitely the glass guys first time with a lotus as he asked me over the phone if this was a glass roof he was replacing. Together we got the new glass in. I then proceeded to remove the button and mirror from the old glass. I again realeased the tab and could not budge the mirror. I used a brass drift and still could not get the button to budge. Finally in frustration I cracked the button off the glass. I then used a punch and hammer to knock the button free. It was beyond a tight fit. I have no doubt this could not be removed while still on the car. Is this a product of age or previous repairs? who knows. So final results, the micro mirror is in and it looks good. Very limited rear visibility (as if it was any good before) but will work for me. What did I learn from this ? That my old mirror wasnt bad enough to warrant this hassle.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Wow Ziker, what a horrible experience, especially on top of all the work you are doing on your Elise. I replaced my stock mirror last year and fortunately it slide right off the mount. I wonder if the prior owner did something to yours. By the way, how's the supercharger install going? I'd love to stop by and see the progress.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The windshield looked original but who really knows if previous owner had a wiggly mirror or something. The supercharger install is going ..... slow? How is this saturday to come take a look? I could use an extra set of hands dropping the charger on.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, several others have cracked their windshields attempting mirror removal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had my frustrations with the micro mirror. I tried to get the old mirror off and could not. I took my car to the dealer. They were able to get the old mirror off, BUT the micro mirror would not go on: the channel was too narrow. Forget it. I just put the original mirror back on. I might have even returned the micro mirror. That is saying something. I am a guy. Real men do not do returns.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
i used wd-40 on mine. came right off. I have the 07 version cleat. which is worse than 05MY, IIRC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The sector111 instructions warn against trying this in ambient temperatures below 60 degs. It's been cold lately. Any chance this is a contributor? I've been on the fence with this mod and now am leaning against it. Is it easier or more difficult with later year car ( MY2009)? I've seen the trick with the taped nickels but is that only for the earlier cars?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
many threads on this with the proper preparations & precautions for 05's. Not sure about the newer cars ( anything newer than '05)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just took a close look at mine, a 2009. It's only a single piece and slides upwards ( towards the back of the car) to remove. I have also seen some references and pics of this type on the Tesla site and is discribed in Sector111's instructions. So I'm thinking this type would be less likely to be broken but I'd like to know if my thinking is incorrect before I find out the expensive way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sector111 instructions warn against trying this in ambient temperatures below 60 degs. It's been cold lately. Any chance this is a contributor?
I had it in my heated garage. It was about 62 degrees or so. If I could do it again I would either use something to dissolve the glue on the button or possibly heat it with a hair dryer (this helped me remove the broken glass attached to it after I had it off the window). I would rather reglue it then try to remove the mirror while still attached. Maybe wd-40 or PB would of worked. I also like the dentist idea of cutting the existing mirror. The only down side to this is that sparks from a dremel type tool would really pit the windshield so I would reccomend anyone trying that to tape off the inside of the window with something to avoid the pits.

·
Registered
378 Posts
With care, my '05 mirror came off fine. The little mirror really opened up my view, (6 ft. tall), as the big old one was always right over the apex, etc. It's a mod I really like, along with pitching the sun visors.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
When I cut it seems like it was mostly if not all plastic, so no sparks.

I like this mod, gives a lot more forward visibility, and it's just appropriate for this car.

·
Less is Better
2,788 Posts
As noted by shay2nak, if you liberally apply WD40 to the cleat before pushing, it's a piece of cake with the nickel method.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts