The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why they have discontinued? I bought some a while back and was getting ready to do a tranny fluid change, just noticed they no longer sell it, instead are selling bottles of Motul Gear 300LS 75W90. I realize I can call them and ask directly - but not open today, thought I'd try LT.

Does anyone recommend against using the transELIXIR blend? (1qt Synchromesh, 1.5qts Redline MT-90).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy the synchromesh fluid, and MT-90 elsewhere.
Thanks, my issue is not availability, I have some of both. Just wondering if there has been some realization that this blend is ill advised (and therefore no longer offered in combination by Sector).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump. Anyone recommend using the AC Delco Synchromesh in combo with the MT-90, or just use straight MT-90?

·
He's on fire!
3,447 Posts
My 2 cents - why would redline and gm design products that worked better together? there is no business relationship there (that I've ever heard of). No one has ever evaluated mixing these two in the ratio's used from an engineering perspective (that I've ever heard of). So really all anyone ever went on was an unqualified person's opinion about what was best based entirely off subjective matter. No one is advising running two different oils in the engine at the same time, or two different coolants at the same time. Actually, people typically promote *not* mixing different products like this.

Are they compatible with each other? Should be, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the magic beyond that.

The most clear guess is that sector111 promotes motul products, and it didn't make sense to promote syncromesh or redline when motul makes a product that fits the application.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2 cents - why would redline and gm design products that worked better together? there is no business relationship there (that I've ever heard of). No one has ever evaluated mixing these two in the ratio's used from an engineering perspective (that I've ever heard of). So really all anyone ever went on was an unqualified person's opinion about what was best based entirely off subjective matter. No one is advising running two different oils in the engine at the same time, or two different coolants at the same time. Actually, people typically promote *not* mixing different products like this.

Are they compatible with each other? Should be, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the magic beyond that.

The most clear guess is that sector111 promotes motul products, and it didn't make sense to promote syncromesh or redline when motul makes a product that fits the application.
That logic makes sense, thanks. I have an email into Sector, will see what they say.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
FWIW-

Redline makes a "syncromesh" repalcement : MTL

It's thinner than MT90 and surely comparable to other syncomesh oils. ie. lower viscosity, which will provide less gear cushioning and possibly better syncro life and/or better cold temp shifting characteristics... Both are correct GL-4 oils. GL-5 oils would surely be too slippery for our boxes. I'd prefer MT-90 for the gear cushioning and just shift responsibly.

Most of the time the oil isn't the magical cure. It's the shifting/driver. "power shifting" these boxes bends the forks and causes poor engagement, damaging the syncros. If you have a good shifting box, you can keep it this way by running the correct oil and shifting with your finger tips. There's no road race or DE that has been won by power shifting these boxes with their easy to bend shift forks...

-Phil

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW-

Redline makes a "syncromesh" repalcement : MTL

It's thinner than MT90 and surely comparable to other syncomesh oils. ie. lower viscosity, which will provide less gear cushioning and possibly better syncro life and/or better cold temp shifting characteristics... Both are correct GL-4 oils. GL-5 oils would surely be too slippery for our boxes. I'd prefer MT-90 for the gear cushioning and just shift responsibly.

Most of the time the oil isn't the magical cure. It's the shifting/driver. "power shifting" these boxes bends the forks and causes poor engagement, damaging the syncros. If you have a good shifting box, you can keep it this way by running the correct oil and shifting with your finger tips. There's no road race or DE that has been won by power shifting these boxes with their easy to bend shift forks...

-Phil
Thanks very much for the details Phil, that makes a ton of sense. Sounds like the mix of Synchromesh with MT-90 was intended to smooth shifting and protect the synchronizers by lowering viscosity, but perhaps at the expense of the gears themselves (or forks). I think I'll end up just using straight MT-90 and trying to drive like I have some sense.

Jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input Doge (and others), I think that's the route I'm going to take.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts