The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the shifter reinforcer and I am quite pleased with the product. I actually bought it several months ago but never got around to installing it. I could quickly tell that it was more stable around the shifter area. The installation was easy enough...took me about me 2 hours to install. I'm a mechanical newb so for those who are not, it might go a lot faster. Shifting feels better but its no honda. I'd highly recommend this product!

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
oh yeah I did the same. Had it sitting around for almost a year and did Stan's shifter mod as well. ( Do ) Then I had the bug and got the Redline and Synchromesh route ( Do ) with Jim's big shifter ball. ( maybe do ) All made a difference, but sans LETSA, I am going to go with the shifter cable and maybe cross shifter when wrap it up.

If it all makes it better maybe it will be good enuf ! Chasing rabbits down holes with these dang cars ! It was so pathetic before I started though and yeah the Shifter reinforcer + Stans mods +1

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Good call Spartacus, expect to drill out the rivets on one side of the frame to remove the original bar.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had the re-inforcer installed + SSC gear shift cable + new engine mounts installed this weekend and spent today breaking everything in/testing. So far I'm real happy with it, the engine mounts (BOE/Innovative) make quite a difference and the re-inforcer definitely helps. The SSC shifter cable seems to make a bit of difference but it's subtle compared to what I was expecting.

I think with a Letsla setup it'd be more pronounced - and not even sure if the SSC/Letsla play nice together. I think it's just one of those things that's made to beef up what should have probably come from the factory (the gear shift cable that is).

But the Re-inforcer is like night/day :up:

And another :up::up: for Stan's Permanent clutch stop mod, best $1.50 you can spend on your car.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had the re-inforcer installed + SSC gear shift cable + new engine mounts installed this weekend and spent today breaking everything in/testing. So far I'm real happy with it, the engine mounts (BOE/Innovative) make quite a difference and the re-inforcer definitely helps. The SSC shifter cable seems to make a bit of difference but it's subtle compared to what I was expecting.

I think with a Letsla setup it'd be more pronounced - and not even sure if the SSC/Letsla play nice together. I think it's just one of those things that's made to beef up what should have probably come from the factory (the gear shift cable that is).

But the Re-inforcer is like night/day :up:

And another :up::up: for Stan's Permanent clutch stop mod, best $1.50 you can spend on your car.
Cool, Rich, glad you've got them installed so quickly. How's the SCC shifter cable feel as compared to stock cable? Did Harry take care of your car?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Cool, Rich, glad you've got them installed so quickly. How's the SCC shifter cable feel as compared to stock cable? Did Harry take care of your car?
Yeah Harry did the install, great guy to deal with will definitely go back again! The SSC shifter cable feels like (and looks like) it could take more of a beating than the stock cable. I think the difference in shift feel (without a weighted knob for the moment) is pretty subtle. A little firmer but nothing drastic.

Coupled with the clutch stop mod, the re-inforcer and the engine mounts though, it all comes together. :up:

If there's some way to sneak a Letsla short throw kit in there that'd be the icing on the cake.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and the info, really appreciate it! :up:

·
Registered
913 Posts
How daunting of a task is it to take that long drill bit & poke that hole? I was quoted $420 in labor to install this part at $140/hr & I just feel like that is a little bit too much for me to pay.

Been reading up on the installs & it doesnt look to be too complicated at all except for the process of getting the drilling down perfect.

So far the mods Ive done to improve shifting are: Innovate Motor Mounts & a custom Al shift knob. I have sitting on my shelf the Sector111 re-inforcer + LETSLA. Id like to do the Stan's shifter mod as well.

It seems that my Crossgate cable is defective, so I will be looking in swapping out the OEM shifter/crossgate cables with SCC. Might apply IAmBatman's mod to the mounting point of the SCC cable if applicable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a total mechanical newb. I never did an oil change until I got my lotus. This is pretty easy to install. As for drilling, it was quite simple and went through the aluminum like butter The hardest part was to get the center console out. The leather shifter wrap is tied by a zip tie so you have to replace that one(unless I did it wrong).

I started with oil change, replacing the transmission oil, bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake pads. Slowly I'm gaining more confidence and its fun to work on your car. Next up is to change the spark plugs.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hmmmm...I might just have a stab at it then. Anything special to note with the drilling process? Did you have to aim in a particular area or reference anything to avoid hitting? How did you manage to get the drilling process perfectly perpendicular to the floor?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hmmmm...I might just have a stab at it then. Anything special to note with the drilling process? Did you have to aim in a particular area or reference anything to avoid hitting? How did you manage to get the drilling process perfectly perpendicular to the floor?
It's very simple. There are two holes in the shifter assembly in the front and you just use those as guides to drill through. Very, very easy.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks guys...Im just going to do it! Im always one to be cautious; I hate mistakes; especially the ones that are irreversible or require 10x more time/effort/$$$ to repair if you only wouldve done it right the first time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just did the Stan mod today........ How did I go this long without it. I recommend every Elise owners do this mod. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Spartacus's link is actually to a different mod, the clutch stop mod. I would also highly recommend. Since you are tearing into the car it might be a good time to do both at the same time. But make sure and don't raise the bolt to high or the clutch won't fully engage.

Here is the link to stans shifter reinforcment mod:
Lotus Elise Gear Shift Frame Brace

1 - 20 of 21 Posts