The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I envision someone trying to steal your car and not seeing this version of the Denver Boot. And subsequently shredding your clam. :huh:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
I can understand the reasoning behind such a device; however it looks a bit ridiculous IMO. While I like security I couldn't bring myself to attach that thing to my Liz.

·
Registered
970 Posts
50-50 % chance you will drive off one time with lock in place..I would never risk that...that risk much worse than theft risk imo.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Derek said:
I can understand the reasoning behind such a device; however it looks a bit ridiculous IMO. While I like security I couldn't bring myself to attach that thing to my Liz.
If you lived in New Jersey and your STi was stollen out of your driveway while you were home it would look different to you.

Anyway, I think my pics are too close up. Most people say it looks intimidating, you know, "Back off and don't bother"

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Surferjer said:
I envision someone trying to steal your car and not seeing this version of the Denver Boot. And subsequently shredding your clam. :huh:
I can see myself doing it, forget the thief! :eek:

I like the idea, but I wouldn't trust myself not to take it off when I'm in a hurry one day. I'll stick to the car-cover, club, and alarm combo.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Surferjer said:
You mean like Homer Simpson bringing his car back from NY? :D

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,682 Posts
All the thief needs is a spare tire and the car is still gone.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I pay for insurance to cover theft. If it is stolen, take it far,far away ...cause I don't want the pieces returned.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
And the spline adapter (where do you get them????) and a properly sizes tire for the front, and rims with proper caliper clearance.

By that time, they will decide to steal a different car.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,682 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
And my locking lugnut key, which is not in the car.
They could just drag the car onto a flat bed wrecker and saw the boot thing off somewhere else.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The truth is if they want your car they will get it. It's that simple. You can chain it to a tree if you want. It will not deter these scum bags. I am sure you have seen reports on this. Good luck :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MickOpalak said:
They could just drag the car onto a flat bed wrecker and saw the boot thing off somewhere else.
Agreed. cellular gps tracker with geofence and cell phone alert is my next step.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
it's one more thing to impede theft. True, if someone wants it, they will have it - this will certainly not stop them... BUT, with two cars next to each other, one having this and one not, I know which one I'd go for if I were a theif.

I've always thought something like this would be a good idea - don't think it's for me, but it's a good idea none the less... certainly more effective than the club.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>If you lived in New Jersey and your STi was stollen
>out of your driveway while you were home it would
>look different to you.

Yeah, getting hit teaches you to allways be on-gaurd.

When we lived in Pittsburgh we had our Subaru's windows smashed and the stereo ripped out twice in two years (Greentree no less!)

Now, out in Cal, I've installed 24/7 video coverage of my stable and driveway.

Re the boot ... I'm a klutz and would forget it's there one day and destroy the clam & caliper. But if it works for you then cool.

-doma

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>The truth is if they want your car they will get it.

Yeah. And if they are pros... watch out.

In a related story.. back in school I knew a guy who used to get together with his pals and practice breaking into & wiring his own RX7 without damaging it. Apparently they would speed time it all. They practiced for months till they honed their skill. (by the time this guy got to school his habbit of ripping off other people's rx7s was just a memory that he liked to brag about.) Bastard.

-doma

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
doma said:
>If you lived in New Jersey and your STi was stollen
>out of your driveway while you were home it would
>look different to you.

Yeah, getting hit teaches you to allways be on-gaurd.

When we lived in Pittsburgh we had our Subaru's windows smashed and the stereo ripped out twice in two years (Greentree no less!)

Now, out in Cal, I've installed 24/7 video coverage of my stable and driveway.

Re the boot ... I'm a klutz and would forget it's there one day and destroy the clam & caliper. But if it works for you then cool.

-doma
I keep it on the driver's side with the wheel turned out. I doubt I'll ever miss it even if I forget. It is really just for those predictable "same place, same time" senarios like home and office.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts