The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
That picture says it all! Really I agree with LotusFury, I have never liked Nascar. It's not the drivers, it's the cars. Who wants to watch a bunch of identical hopped up domestics running ovals. Racing in any form is more interesting except for those sport trucks. Who races trucks on a circle track, I could understand rally or off road vehicles, but a lot of these cars are out of thier original element. Nascar should be combined with that supermarket shopping spree show, see who can get the most groceries home in the least time, that would be worth watching. At least the trunk could be of more use than an aerodynamic aid.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Kev111 said:
It's not the drivers, it's the cars. Who wants to watch a bunch of identical hopped up domestics running ovals.
As much as I dislike NASCAR, these comments are just wrong. The cars are not hopped up domestics. They are built-from-scratch racecars that share nothing in common with a production car, domestic or foreign.

And if the cars are identical, then it has to be the drivers, doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeah you probably won't find many existing or future Elise owners who are also big NASCAR fans. Kind of like oil and water, it seems to me. As soon as I post this, somebody will probably prove me wrong !

But basically, to me, NASCAR is really boooring. I can watch it for a few minutes, and in person (just like any kind of motor racing) it's more exciting, because you get a true sense of the high speeds, but even then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
John Stimson said:
As much as I dislike NASCAR, these comments are just wrong. The cars are not hopped up domestics. They are built-from-scratch racecars that share nothing in common with a production car, domestic or foreign.

And if the cars are identical, then it has to be the drivers, doesn't it?
Don't take it all out of context. I know the cars are built from scratch race cars. What I meant was the cars dimensions are based on domestic (read ordinary) cars that hold very little interest in my mind. I Know there is a lot of talent involved I said it the first time, the drivers especially, but to reiterate, even the cars are wonders since they are based (body shape) on the family sedan and through aerodynamics and engineering they can achieve 200+ around a racetrack. I'm still not impressed enough to watch it though, the cars just seem boring to me. In my mind a real racecar is born on the track the same should be true of real sports cars, built originally for performance and speed. Other than the alternate putting togethor a chassis full of race technology and then messing it up with the plastic shape of the most ordinary cars. OK so what I should have said was "who wants to watch a bunch of domestic looking racecars on an oval", the answer of course, is those who actually like those kinds of cars, and I don't.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the features of F1 I like is all the technology. It sucks to have most of the Major racing series built around very similar tech. It's fun to see all the snottiness of the F1 people.

IMSA and ALMS are awesome. That's probably the best racing around - diverse cars, drivers and ROAD tracks make for a really enjoyable experience. Even Autocrossing is better than NASCAR for me. I just can't stand the Ovals. I did watch the NASCAR at Watkins Glen (I think it was there) and it was much better than any oval track. NASCAR cars just just boing looking to me.

Hmmmmmmm..... How about an Elise NASCAR? Now that would be funny to see....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not much of a NASCAR fan either, but F1 is just awful. It's like someone combined WWF with golf and removed the all of the fake fighting. I can't really get that excited about the technology (maybe it would be different if I had tickets that came with a paddock tour), and I hate to bust out with some ugly American here but foreign broadcasts seem to have precious little A/V talent for making sports entertaining. World cup soccer is okay but I just cannot fathom the worldwide appeal of F1.

I've always enjoyed coverage of the 24h of Daytona, but I think it would be much better to drive it than to watch it on ESPN2...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts