The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I decided I throw way too much money into my Elise only to produce a new, better feeling each time I drive it. I think we all do that subconsciously once we adapt to something that is initially fun and joyous. I concluded that a second sports car to switch to would be the best solution.

So I decided on a classic 911 because they are timeless, probably very fun to drive and should be easy to work on. I'm not sure which one or what years to look for. I had my mind set on a 70s version but I really am not very informed on older vehicles, so I just don't know what to look for.

My budget is $10k.

Is there any advice on which variants, years, etc. to keep an eye out for?

Ideally, I'd like a targa :D

P.S. - The reason I post here as opposed to the numerous Porsche forums is because I trust the opinions of people here and I trust that they are knowledgeable as they've proven over and over...

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Call Cheech at Rennwerke. He owns a shop in Elmsford that I've been going to for 10+ years. He's a real no BS straight talking kind of guy. He'll steer you in the right direction. I'll PM you his number. I had an 83' SC for years with 130k on it and never had any real problems. It was the last gen of the SC's...

·
Registered
5,600 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i had a 1975 911S that was the silver anniversary edition in prime shape. i sold it in 2000 for $9K.
i wish i still had that car.
deal are out there if you look hard and are patient.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Interesting...well, if nothing else, I can learn something about cars working on it. It'll be a little toy I can take apart. That's how I see it :shrug:
That was my thought too. So far with the car i bought the easiest project I've had was taking out a snapped bolt. One thing leads to another, which leads to another. Don't get me wrong, i've had a blast on this project, its defiantly fun. But with that in mind:
Lesson #1. Buy a car that is in decent shape to start. I knew what i was getting into when i started, but I've spent 3x then purchase price on parts and tools so far with my project. Granted my car is a 924S, not a 911, but i'd think the same thing applies.
(i paid very little for my car knowing full well what i was getting into. I'm sure if you find a decent one you won't have as much to do as i did.)

Check out rennlist. the guys there are very helpful, and there is a mountain of information.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Good that you want a Targa, they're generally not as desirable as a coupe, which means you're more likely to get one at (or at least nearer to) your budget.

Best thing to do, is to do as much research as you can, start reading the Porsche enthusiasts' magazines, talking with vintage Porsche people at your local Porsche clubs' outings (you'll need them later on for help after you buy the car you eventually decide on), start reading the Porsche forums...have fun with it, it's a journey !

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I sold my 83' 911 for under 10k 5+ years ago. It was in good shape but we weren't looking to make any money on it and we got it cheap from a friend.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Just thought of something...does $10k even buy me a classic 911? I'm looking at Dupon Registry and some of these are insanely priced
Will depend on what year/model type # you end up deciding you'd like, and the condition of the car. For that kind of money, you're obviously not looking at concours quality, but more of what is known as "a driver", meaning it's a decent car without a lot of rust* or other big mechanical issues, but the car isn't show-quality.

* -Oh yeah, make really sure there's not much of a rust issue because otherwise you'll be in this for a lot more money than you'd planned, to handle the problem)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Go for the SC (80-83), as 74-77 have issues and pre-74 are $$$$. SC engines are tough and bodies have better steel than early cars, so less rust.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi guys,

c

So I decided on a classic 911 because they are timeless, probably very fun to drive and should be easy to work on. I'm not sure which one or what years to look for. I had my mind set on a 70s version but I really am not very informed on older vehicles, so I just don't know what to look for.

My budget is $10k.

Is there any advice on which variants, years, etc. to keep an eye out for?

Ideally, I'd like a targa :D

Are you looking for track car only or smth you will use on both track and street. The reason why i ask is the old cars salvage real easy because insurance goes by new replacement parts from dealer . Some damage to hood ,bumper and headlight can put old car in salvage auction .
For salvage Porche your 10k will go pretty far .
those cars are defenately cool but not easy or cheap to work on .
I think for track BMW M3 like 1998 or so with 3,2 l engine is realy good choice as far as power, parts availability and running cost .

·
Registered
960 Posts
I agree with tmr. Also, while the '72 & '73 are even more desireable in many ways (classic body), the prices have really gone up and there are more rust issues that with an SC which is galvanized.

I have owned an '80 SC for about 15 years (so I may be bias). It's been a great car. I've been thinking of selling it. It's not concorse - just a driver. Pictures from the last time I washed it (it sits in the garage most of the time now) are posted here.

Go for the SC (80-83), as 74-77 have issues and pre-74 are $$$$. SC engines are tough and bodies have better steel than early cars, so less rust.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Just thought of something...does $10k even buy me a classic 911? I'm looking at Dupon Registry and some of these are insanely priced
A $10k car is going to need a lot of work. :wallbang:

Too bad you didn't want to spend more and post earlier- I just sold my '72 911 E Targa.

It's always better to pay more and get a problem-free 911. Parts are expensive and there can be a lot of surprises if maintenance or updates (like chain tensioners) haven't been done. But if a 911 is taken care of- my dad had a 911 that he put over 200k on. Over the life of the car it was dirt cheap to operate. But if there was a hint of a problem, it got looked at right now. The guy he sold it to has put another 50k on it.

If I had $10k for a Porsche...you can get a really nice 914 for that money. They're funky looking and slow, but lots of fun to drive. Good ones are appreciating fast. Then I'd start saving for an engine from Aircooled Technology. For another $7-8k, it would eat a poorly driven 911.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would look at the 911SC as well, but if you are looking at Porsche there are other good models too for top-down fun. No rear-engine throttle-lift mid-corner drama on the front engined 944/968/928 is something to consider. $10K is a little low for an SC, but workable. Older than SC and you are looking at rust issues, engines that flex too much, and worse condition for the money. There are alternatives to the 911 as well. The better SCs command more money and are generally thought to be worth the difference between setting a rough car right again and buying a car that has never been allowed to slip downward in condition. I have a 1978 911sc in stock that is absolutely beautiful, but $7K over your budget. I have a 968 Cabriolet in stock that is a little bit of a project car that we are taking offers on, but still a nice car, and right at your budget. Our 968 will be a great car once it finds an owner willing to put in the time needed to set it right.

Check out our Porsche site at Smith Strasse dot com Whatever you do make sure you contact Gabe and Guy for your parts needs and advise before buying. We have a great Porsche parts and service team -- they are THE Porsche experts on the Central Coast of California.

Best of luck on your Porsche hunt.

Darin

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much for all the help everyone!

I guess I need to cough up more money. No problem.

I would consider a 914, but I heard they were more of money-pits than anything.

This is just a car to toy around with on the street. I may track it but I'd be afraid of it falling apart :p

I'm not really a fan of front-engined Porsches. Great cars, no doubt, but I want something that will sort of mimic my Elise in driving habit.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
But something about it looks wrong. It looks beaten and rotten. Maybe it's the colors. Maybe it's because it looks tilted to one side. Or maybe because it's the cheapest one I've found so far.
www.thesamba.com sometimes has decent finds.

This one might be worth a phone call. It's been for sale for a while, so you might save enough to ship it and stay within budget:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=562698
Here's a bare-metal repaint with modern FI that you could drive home. :)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=575552

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check the Pelican Parts forums for some great people and amazing info on all sorts of P-cars (http://forums.pelicanparts.com). That was my home before LotusTalk...

For 10k you're going to be hard pressed to find a decent 911. With a little bit more you could probably find a decent SC which would be your best bet (78-93). All 911s hold their value very very well. If you choose the right one in good condition and with good documentation you'll be able to sell it down the road for little to no loss. Buy the wrong one and you'll take a bath - both in maintenance and depreciation.

As far as tracking goes, don't underestimate Porsches. I tracked the holy hell out of my 20 year old 930. Although consumables and regular maintenance were expensive, that thing never had a major issue and could easily rocket through the bowl at Pocono at 150mph -eek-

And yes... snap oversteer is a problem. You think you have to be careful lifting mid corner in the elise?! :p

But i always took pride in the fact that it's a tough car to master but if you can, you've really accomplished something. I'll definitely own a classic 911 again...

Stay away from 928s and be very wary of 914s.
A 944 could be very interesting. I've seen very quick 944 turbos at the track

If you decide to go for it, get a proper PPI and remember that any "bargain" priced Porsche (911 or other) is cheap for a reason...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts