The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this thread under a different screenname. I hope the mods won't ban the profile or delete this thread as my family is seeking help.

I am an active member of this community. I have met many of you in the past, and I have participated in a number of Lotus events.

My family is currently seeking a good psychiatrist in the Los Angeles area, as we have a family member with a recently developed mental disorder. She is hearing and seeing things, and having bad tempers time to time. We have seeked some medical help in the past, and for a short time she was okay, but then now it's going bad to worse. When she is talking to her friends over the phone, she thinks the FBI is listening in, and she saids she sees & hears spirits.

She is a very bright person attending one of the top academic institutions in the country earning her masters degree.

To make the problem even worse, her family is getting hit with a financial difficulties, and seeking solutions how they can help her. They are seeking some sort of government aids.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have a good psychiatrist contact (or if you are one), please let me know. I can be reached via PM if you want.

Thank you.

- Lotus Owner Seeking Help -

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Best wishes on getting some good advice.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I am posting this thread under a different screenname. I hope the mods won't ban the profile or delete this thread as my family is seeking help.

I am an active member of this community. I have met many of you in the past, and I have participated in a number of Lotus events.

My family is currently seeking a good psychiatrist in the Los Angeles area, as we have a family member with a recently developed mental disorder. She is hearing and seeing things, and having bad tempers time to time. We have seeked some medical help in the past, and for a short time she was okay, but then now it's going bad to worse. When she is talking to her friends over the phone, she thinks the FBI is listening in, and she saids she sees & hears spirits.

She is a very bright person attending one of the top academic institutions in the country earning her masters degree.

To make the problem even worse, her family is getting hit with a financial difficulties, and seeking solutions how they can help her. They are seeking some sort of government aids.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have a good psychiatrist contact (or if you are one), please let me know. I can be reached via PM if you want.

Thank you.

- Lotus Owner Seeking Help -
You are going to get all kinds of ill informed opinions on this on a Lotus forum. Get the family MD involved right away. Seek appropriate referrals from him/her. Get professionals involved. Have appropriate family members contact their EAP for advice, most allow some provision for family services.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
BTW, disorders such as schizophrenia (or whatever she has) are generally coupled with other disorders such as depression. What other history does she have?
PLEASE, OP, please do NOT share this type of detail on your family member here. Please seek professional help through your family/extended family health provider network and contacts.

You've given some detail, and asked for a referral in your area. That's the best you can and should ask for on a car forum for this. Please do NOT be drawn into a discussion wherein your family member is diagnosed here.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Good luck!

Keep in mind that prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, "natural" remedies & supplements, and street drugs could be factors -- not all people react the same. Make sure you have a complete list for the doctors.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
If she is currently in school the school should have a health center that either may have a psychiatrist on staff or if not they certainly can refer her to one they work with. If it is a top institution my guess they have a psychiatrist on staff at least part time who can help out with diagnosis, evaluations and medications (1st step). They could then refer you to ongoing psychological care sources for treatment. If she won't attend the school's health center you could always call them and request a referral list as well as confirm if they have a psychiatrist on staff. While they can't discuss their students they can provide you with information. Hallucinations and paranoid delusions means she needs to get help ASAP before it gets worse. With meds she might be able to function decently normal, depends upon the diagnosis and individual. Certainly some paranoid schizophrenic individuals (or bipolar with psychotic features) are able to obtain graduate degrees and work with the proper meds and counseling. Good luck to her, you and your family.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If she is currently in school the school should have a health center that either may have a psychiatrist on staff or if not they certainly can refer her to one they work with. If it is a top institution my guess they have a psychiatrist on staff at least part time who can help out with diagnosis, evaluations and medications (1st step). They could then refer you to ongoing psychological care sources for treatment. If she won't attend the school's health center you could always call them and request a referral list as well as confirm if they have a psychiatrist on staff. While they can't discuss their students they can provide you with information. Hallucinations and paranoid delusions means she needs to get help ASAP before it gets worse. With meds she might be able to function decently normal, depends upon the diagnosis and individual. Certainly some paranoid schizophrenic individuals (or bipolar with psychotic features) are able to obtain graduate degrees and work with the proper meds and counseling. Good luck to her, you and your family.
+1. The only qualification that might be made is that recent laws and court cases have muddied the water on notifications and actions that the school might take (in light of the VaTech shooting, and a case [I think it was Georgetown U] where a student deemed suicidal was expelled because of the diagnosis]. So, while the school is probably the best place to start (especially if finances are an issue), you might want to check first about confidentiality and any 'duty to warn' issues, depending on the symptoms the person is exhibiting.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Good luck!

Keep in mind that prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, "natural" remedies & supplements, and street drugs could be factors -- not all people react the same. Make sure you have a complete list for the doctors.
Get second and third opinions. Until you are confident with the direction you should take, address her environment. I would remove her from the place where this behavior started, keep her in a calm peaceful space, keep her rested and well fed. Be gentle with her in every way possible. My cousin experienced something like this and she is doing fine now, and drug free. It seemed that something triggered her ‘episode’ and she just needed some ‘quiet time’ to ‘destimulate’.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If she has no health insurance use this link County of Los Angeles - Department of Health Services If there is a choice of hospitals take the one in the San Fernando valley, DO NOT take her downtown. And, again as previous posters have addressed, this is serious, none of us should make lay diagnosis and advice and you hopefully won't take any.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I have family members who work in social work. You are wise to ask for recommendations from those you trust. A good counselor or psychiatrist can be hard to find - too many kooks and pill pushers.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Absolutely.
Shop very carefully for this kind of help.
And trust your instincts.
There are some very incompetent people in this field.
Find someone good.

I recommend maintaining as much privacy as you can.
The current legal climate is such as to discourage anyone seeking help.
And it is getting worse.
There are very good reasons to get this kind of help off the grid, if possible.
If someone needs to seek permanent disability, that would be a reason to not seek as much privacy as possible.

This does sound like paranoia, but everyone should remember that unjustified fear and legitimate fears sound very much the same.
The last person that told me they were being followed and conspired against, wound up murdered by this person.
I wish I had been able to stop it.
I did not disbelieve them, but I was at a loss what to do.
I'm not saying that's the case here, just something everyone should bear in mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts