The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vacation time again, and what better way to spend it than driving 1500 miles from Houston to Allentown, Pa. Had some pretty cool stops along the way here like VIR and CDOC. Enough about my trip, are there any great roads in the Lehigh Valley to have some fun on? PS: Are there any Loti coming to the Trackmasters event at Watkins Glen next week?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
why you want to vacation in allentown? rotfl
i'm sure z-dulcus will chime in and defend it, and let you know of some good roads. i'm not sure what's in the lehigh valley itself but i know that within a short drive out of allentown there are plenty. i'm about 30 mins southwest and there are some great backroads all around, where i've gotten lost for hours. my wife is from a little north of allentown and the roads heading to there from allentown are fun also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
why you want to vacation in allentown? rotfl
Yea... that.

Anyway, there are some nice roads outside the city near Coopersburg, real backwoods areas, but if you are looking for anything spectacular you may be disappointed. Plus PA is not known for the great condition of our roadways...

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I'm in Philadelphia but almost moved to that region of our state about 10 years ago. Low Hill Township just west of Allentown is nice and has some great back roads. Take 78 west from Allentown and get off on Route 100. Take that North and then take any of the side roads for some fun. If you take Route 100 to its end, you'll run into 309. Take that North and you can find signs that will take you to Blue Mountain (about 30 mintes from Allentown). There are some nice backroads here as well.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I lived in the Valley for 30 years...and even had a Europa in the 70's !.... I know most of the good roads......Like Wallabyguy said; Germansville / New Tripoli area is good, but it is getting built up quite a bit. If you go NORTH of the blue mountain there are some great roads.... lots of "motorcycle" roads.. Lehighton / Palmerton / Jim Thorpe area, and up around Beltzville lake.

Do a mapquest for normal square, pa and route 902 north ( Laurel Drive ) to summit hill is ( or used to be ) the tail of the dragon of the northeast...... also do a mapquest for Aquashicola PA......take Forest Inn Road north to rt 209.... incredible twisties ! ( watch out for trucks tho ) ... then Rt 209 east to Trachsville and then south to Little Gap. It'll be a fun drive. Z.... check out these roads too... don't know if you've ever been on them.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
If you're looking for things to do in the valley...... the Martin Guitar tour is nothing short of amazing..... and if you like cheese; Calandras cheese factory is right around the corner from Martin. Hiking: Appalachian trail goes through on the Blue mountain...some great rock climbing off the road between Slatington and Palmerton. Delaware Water Gap--hiking trails. The Velodrome is in Trexlertown for bicycle racing. Beltzville Lake--boating / fishing.... Jim Thorpe is not too far away.... great architecture; modeled after a city in Switzerland. And of course.........Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville ( some good roads up there too ) americas oldest brewery ( get some LAGER !!! !) Official Yuengling Web Site: America's Oldest Brewery

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Ok...one more road, then I'll stop rambling.. Do a mapquest for mainville, pa or ringtown, pa..... State Road ( rt 339 ) from mainville to ringtown has to be the best road in PA. good pavement, not too populated and LOTS of switchbacks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I made that exact drive 10 years ago from Houston to T-Town. Jr nationals in 97 at the velodrome. I won the sprints that year.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
We went mountain biking in Jim Thorpe PA which is in the valley I believe. There were some serious mountain roads that looked like fun, but we were in a rental.
Yeah.. it's kind of in the valley. I used to Hang Glide off of Flagstaff ( The Ballroom at the top of the mountain ) ( we used to launch off the roof ) and land at the train station right in the middle of town. What a blast. I miss it there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, guys, for all of your replies. I am here in Allentown to visit family and wanted some fun. Enjoyed some serious curves and twists around Bernardsville, NJ, tonight while visiting friends. Will head to Watkins Glen for the Trackmasters event next week. Hope to see some of you there.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Thanks, guys, for all of your replies. I am here in Allentown to visit family and wanted some fun. Enjoyed some serious curves and twists around Bernardsville, NJ, tonight while visiting friends. Will head to Watkins Glen for the Trackmasters event next week. Hope to see some of you there.
I'll be at the LOG, but I'll be in the Glen in spirit....( my property is there ! )

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
oh the memories....I went to college in Allentown and grew up in Bernardsville !

There are some wicked roads I used to run away from cops from in Mendham and Bernardsville around the Shciff reservation and up the mountain.

Near Allentown there are some fun twisties that we used to take on bikes. I think I remember they were on or near the "covered bridge tour". Take the tour and you will love the road.

Please stop in at PJ Wheelahans for me and get a brew and some Hot n Honey wings! They are the best! That was a good bar not to far from school at Muhlenburg College.

Robb

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Where's Z-dculus? I think we should all get together for a ride MacDaddy, Cornbeef, Houston... I think we can find some good roads in the LV.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm up for a drive on Sunday. Let me know what you guys come up with.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,692 Posts
LOG is the next weekend. (July 31 - Aug 4)

The NJ contingent (6 cars) is leaving on Tuesday to make a nice vacation out of it. :clap:

Others are leaving later...a group from Buffalo, another from the DC area...

Plans are posted on the LOG 28 section of LT -poke-

++++++++++++

Hey Houston, our LEO CLUB PICNIC is on Sunday. Any Elise owner is invited to attend. It's up in Kinnelon, NJ, and includes a Road Rally (optional) , Car Show (lots of other British Car Clubs)...and paddle boats (can you say RACES?) :evil:

Details Here

Lotus Enthusiast's Organization

:nanner:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
anyway, where is z? a three day out post about allentown and theres no sign of him:shrug:

right now there is only a 40% chance of rain. i'd be up for finding some of the suggestions and some of our own. let me know what time and who wants to go and we'll go from there

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
anyway, where is z? a three day out post about allentown and theres no sign of him:shrug:

right now there is only a 40% chance of rain. i'd be up for finding some of the suggestions and some of our own. let me know what time and who wants to go and we'll go from there
Just called him...maybe he'll check in. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts