The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did today at the dealership in Cleveland. Better in person than in photos, however, it's just doesn't grab me the way my Elise still does every time I open the garage door!

Maybe it will grow on me. But back in 2005 when the Elise arrived it didn't need to grow on me. It blew me away.

If you're looking for a Lotus in Cleveland, see Andrew at the dealership. He is the MAN!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Sitting here at Criswell, getting an ECU dump done on my car. Tech came into waiting area asking if I'd like to see a new 2011.

They're prepping for delivery a customer ordered car that came in yesterday, is being picked up tomorrow.

This one is a black supercharged car. It looks WAYYY better in person than in the pictures, and it DID grab me, to the point that if a salesman was in this early, I'd be asking him to crunch some trade numbers.

It has so much more of a finished look, while retaining the overall flavor. No more "wonder where we're going to put the bumperettes" or "nobody will care is these cheap screw heads show on the front access panels" or "side market lights? we have to put those on? where???"

The headlights are great, much, much improved. Having the turn signals integrated into them cleans up the front considerably, and having the LED's on as driving lights ala current Audi's is also a very nice touch.

The mesh instead of all the plastic louvres of the older car looks outstanding, much better design and install than the mesh on my Exige.

Some really nice touches. A big one is much better air flow through the oil coolers, in addition to larger openings, there are deflectors under the nose that shoot even more air through them.

The car looks killer in black. This one was loaded. Believe me, this car will get every bit as much attention on the street as the current iterations do.

The tech pointed out something strange in the trunk. The wall between the engine and the trunk is actually slanted in, top to bottom. Can't decide if it makes or uses more room in the trunk. He said he didn't know why they would do that, he then reached into the engine bay up into the cavity formed by the slanted wall and said...there's nothing up in there.

Thinking on the ride home...created to make room for a V6 option in the future, maybe?

·
purveyor of lightness
4,082 Posts
Sitting here at Criswell, getting an ECU dump done on my car. Tech came into waiting area asking if I'd like to see a new 2011.

They're prepping for delivery a customer ordered car that came in yesterday, is being picked up tomorrow.

This one is a black supercharged car. It looks WAYYY better in person than in the pictures, and it DID grab me, to the point that if a salesman was in this early, I'd be asking him to crunch some trade numbers.
No pictures!? Love to see one in Black (and GG of course!) ;)

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
The only thing I really like about the new Elise are the new headlights with the LED, the rest of the car is too much like the Evora/Tesla (2 cars I can't stand) plus they killed the best part of the car, the rear...

The 2011 Exige still the sh!t!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
That Exige is hot. Have to say def prefer that over the 11 Elise. And yes, it does kinda' look like an F360 rip off now that I look again at it. Well, to each their own ... I guess that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
That Exige is hot. Have to say def prefer that over the 11 Elise. And yes, it does kinda' look like an F360 rip off now that I look again at it. Well, to each their own ... I guess that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream.
When you see the car in person, the F360 ripoff isn't so prominent, it's got a very flowing finished look about the whole car.

Like many, I had been wholly unimpressed with the pix. Seeing it in person, well, the prior cars' kit car heritage shows by comparison.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the 2011's have a new 6 speed in it. from what i can tell...it actually shifts more cleanly, which i didnt even think was possible. the new car is also 4% more aerodynamically efficient and got a 4hp bump in power. this car should be just the slightest bit quicker.

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Not exactly, that was based on what my car looked like at the, but since Lotus copy my design :D I've decided to redo my front again, wait until you see my newest creation, I'm going to Shock and Awe everyone on this site and Lotus won't be able to copy me this time around... Get ready, I'm going to shock the world!! rotfl

P.S I have to start working on my new sig...

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 Elise.

Lotus of Orlando has one and I think the new Elise looks amazing. The clean line really steps it up to the next level. They also had an Evora in Red. I thought that it looked good in Orange....but the red - WOW!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Meh.

I thought the whole point of the Elise's design was it's a work-in-progress.

The 2011 looks like the-finished-product, so where's the fun and charisma in that?

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
the 2011's have a new 6 speed in it. from what i can tell...it actually shifts more cleanly, which i didnt even think was possible. the new car is also 4% more aerodynamically efficient and got a 4hp bump in power. this car should be just the slightest bit quicker.

-Andrew
Are you sure about that new tranny? That hasn't been mentioned in any of the official releases. The Elise S (which we do not get here) has a new six-speed box to go with the new 1.6L motor, but everything from Lotus says the drivetrain on the Elise R and SC (our Elise and Elise SC) are unchanged.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts