The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you sure about that new tranny? That hasn't been mentioned in any of the official releases. The Elise S (which we do not get here) has a new six-speed box to go with the new 1.6L motor, but everything from Lotus says the drivetrain on the Elise R and SC (our Elise and Elise SC) are unchanged.
ill double check my source (i work for lotus), but i do recall seeing "new 6 speed for the whole range".

thats assuming i interpreted it right.....ill double check just to be sure

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
ill double check my source (i work for lotus), but i do recall seeing "new 6 speed for the whole range".

There is "NO" new 6-speed and there is "NO" bump in HP for the 2011 models. The only thing different besides the facelift is that for 190 version Elise's the hard top, traction control and touring pack are now standard and all metallic paints are a "no cost" option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is "NO" new 6-speed and there is "NO" bump in HP for the 2011 models. The only thing different besides the facelift is that for 190 version Elise's the hard top, traction control and touring pack are now standard and all metallic paints are a "no cost" option.
2011 Lotus Elise: Nipped, Tucked And Still Beautiful

The important upgrades come under the hood. For starters, the whole range now gets a new six-speed transmission. Secondly, power from the 1.8-liter Toyota four is up slightly to 192HP for naturally-aspirated and 217HP in the supercharged version. But the big news is also a new engine in the entry-level S model — a 1.6-liter engine (the first time a 1.6 has appeared in an Elise) with Valvematic and Dual VVT-i technology.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts

Here's the original press release: New Lotus Elise Model Year 2011 Chapman Report Online

The terminology is somewhat tricky as they refer to the 111S, which gets the new 1.6L and six-speed box simply as the "Lotus Elise". However, it is pretty clear where they list the changes to all Elises and then those changes to the 111S. So unless something has changed it looks like our cars should have the same drivetrain.

EDIT: Jalopnik mis-read the press release. They aren't the best source for technical info - especially if you'll be staking your reputation to your customers on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's the original press release: New Lotus Elise Model Year 2011 Chapman Report Online

The terminology is somewhat tricky as they refer to the 111S, which gets the new 1.6L and six-speed box simply as the "Lotus Elise". However, it is pretty clear where they list the changes to all Elises and then those changes to the 111S. So unless something has changed it looks like our cars should have the same drivetrain.

EDIT: Jalopnik mis-read the press release. They aren't the best source for technical info - especially if you'll be staking your reputation to your customers on it.
you know what, you might be right. that is confusing the way they worded it. i read the press release over again and it sounds like they are just referring to the 1.6 liter.

left lane news though is claiming that ALL the new elise's got a new tranny though.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-elise.html

....idk though. i think ill just look up part numbers and see whether or not its the same

·
Registered
459 Posts
how long have you had your 2011's? we just got ours a few days ago
Boardwalk just got theirs a few days ago. Ardent Red, base. Great looking car.

I spent a ton of time around the White RGB Elise at Pebble Beach, and I really like the new front end. It's almost too understated, but parked next to an Evora is great to see the common design language.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I remember when the series 1 Elise was unveiled at LOG 16 (I think) at Chateau Elan north of Atlanta back in 1996. I'd seen photos of it, but was blown away by how cool it looked. When the series 2 cars came out, I was disappointed in both the photos and the real thing, the latter which I saw for the first time at Lotus Cars USA. The styling had to grow on me, which it has.

Now that the series three cars have come out, I have to say that I don't like the photos as much as the series 2 cars, but will reserve judgement until I see the real thing. It looks like they messed with some things just because they could, like the hardtop, rear diffuser, and so forth. It does look cleaner, but not in a good way.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
It looks like they messed with some things just because they could, like the hardtop, rear diffuser, and so forth. It does look cleaner, but not in a good way.

Just my two cents...
When I was looking at it last week, the dealer told me the only things that ARE NOT new are the hardtop and doors.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Did I say hardtop? I meant engine cover! Sorry about that...

·
Registered
170 Posts
The only thing different besides the facelift is that for 190 version Elise's the hard top, traction control and touring pack are now standard and all metallic paints are a "no cost" option.
Is cruise control part of the now standard touring pack, or is it an extra option?

Jason

·
Registered
828 Posts
Really curious to see the car in person. From the photos I'm a bit concerned about trying to "redesign" the car body while minimizing expensive tooling changes. For example, the rear panel has an extra seam now across the back, seems less clean--maybe to use the top half of the rear clam mold while redesigning the lower area for the diffuser? And the side intakes look the same as they have been, very rounded, not angular, while the rest of the car has some angles now. The pre-11 version looks like every bit works together in the same design language, while the new one is a little mixed.

Anyone notice that after looking at it in person?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Really curious to see the car in person. From the photos I'm a bit concerned about trying to "redesign" the car body while minimizing expensive tooling changes. For example, the rear panel has an extra seam now across the back, seems less clean--maybe to use the top half of the rear clam mold while redesigning the lower area for the diffuser? And the side intakes look the same as they have been, very rounded, not angular, while the rest of the car has some angles now. The pre-11 version looks like every bit works together in the same design language, while the new one is a little mixed.

Anyone notice that after looking at it in person?
I had some of the same concerns regarding the facelifted styling. Quite frankly some of the picture angles of the '11 are not flattering. I believe it has more to do with the angle of the pictures than anything else. The new styling looked crisp and well integrated when seeing it first-hand. In some ways, I prefer the '05 to '10 egg-crate grill and side strakes (akin to old school Ferrari styling cues), but if I were a buyer for a new Elise, I would not be turned-away because of the styling changes (ala new school Ferrari styling).

vincesf

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
FVMC has one and I saw it yesterday. Here are some iphone pics

Observations:

- the body style is still the same - they've just tweaked some the panels. Still has the same shapes/swoops.

Differences:

- Rear black plate is gone - its integrated into the body.

- Front of clam different - more streamlined front with integrated splitter. No separate turn signals.

- Side vents/rest are mesh - no plastic fins.

- Has sort of a center groove that goes up the front to the windshield and continues on the hardtop.

- Engine cover is changed.

- interior looks the same.

I'd have to see it in a different color (orange, yellow) to really see the lines. They get kind of lost in the storm titanium

One thing - the side reflector lights have the Elise logo built into them. Looks pretty cool

Attachments

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Does anyone know when the next generation Elise/Exige will be coming out? Was it suppose to be next year?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts