The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that what this PistonHeads article says?

PistonHeads Headlines

But, can they stop a tracker trailers from jack-knifing???

Trash speed limits. If everyone can drive 100+ without getting into an accident isn't that the way to go? Don't forget all the cars will be electric at that point to, so no MPG arguements to be had.

Assuming these cars are voice activated, then there should also never be any car thefts, except maybe car-jacking, so I would then assume Auto Insurance companies will go out of business as who needs auto insurance if you never get into an accident. Ok, maybe if a tree falls on your car. I'm sure the Auto Insurance Lobbyists are salivating with this one. Someone is getting a new vacation home on St. John!!!!

And how would Lotus track days work??? Would the person that yells at their Lotus the loudest win??? "Go to the finish line.....FAST!!!!!!"

Just some random thoughts on a Friday afternoon.

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
By then we will have hover vehicles and matter transporters so we won't need cars anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Why would we want to make transportation any safer?

xtn

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's great in my book. By then I'll be to old to be allowed to have a license anyway. Unless I move to Florida.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Unless everything is rail/magnet based there will still be accidents, computers can't defy physics.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I could imaging that if all cars were computer controlled then you would not need stop lights ... the cars would just space themselves out and, with careful timing, the two streams of traffic would cross through each other. Could do it on the highway too ... and get rid of cloverleafs. Kinda like timing the firing of machine gun bullets to happen between the propeller blade passings.

I'll be the old timer who closes his eyes when the car approaches the near death experience computer controlled interleaved intersection and my grandkids will laugh.

-dom

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I could imaging that if all cars were computer controlled then you would not need stop lights ... the cars would just space themselves out and, with careful timing, the two streams of traffic would cross through each other.
They can't even figure out how to synchronize traffic lights to coordinate the flow of traffic. You think they are going to figure out how to coordinate random vehicles?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Why would you use a car when everyone has jet packs?

Anyway 2025 is when the great earth destroying asteroid gets here.
Cars are just something to do until then.

We would be lucky to have paved roads by 2038 anyhow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You sure the world will not end by then?
Enjoy :shrug:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
They can't even figure out how to synchronize traffic lights to coordinate the flow of traffic. You think they are going to figure out how to coordinate random vehicles?
Heh, good point. Maybe not for 100 years. But... in 500? Why not. The Machines, using moronic human traffic light synchronization code as justification, will forbid us humans from coding the system and will write it themselves.

-dom

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
idk about 500, think of where we were just 100 years ago, basically no cars, no anything. Anyone see i-robot? I could believe it might be like that in 2100.

·
Registered
847 Posts
idk about 500, think of where we were just 100 years ago, basically no cars, no anything. Anyone see i-robot? I could believe it might be like that in 2100.
+1

Remember the main character has a robotic arm much like Luke Skywalker in the Empire Strikes Back. Dean Kamen was approached by the government in 2005 with a pie in the sky idea about prosthetic arms with such criteria as "light as the original equipment," and enough tactile sensitivity to pick up something tiny like a raisin or somewhat delicate like a grape. Damn if he didn't do it -- check it out -- YouTube - Dean Kamen's Robotic "Luke" Arm

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Uh... if computers are in charge of everything, the cars would not be random. The parameters of each vehicle would be known. Well, in theory anyway.

I'm hoping that even if the tech is perfect in the future, we wouldn't allow laws that forbid us from driving. Kind of hoping in a sad, klinging-on kind of way. I know how easily this country seems to give up freedoms in the interest of perceived safety.

xtn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts