The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a warranty issue. I am wondering if anyone has run into an issue that has maintained the regular service on their own. My car is getting close to the next engine oil and brake/clutch fluid service. If I do this on my own do I just save reciepts for parts and I am good to go should I have a warranty issue in the future. Or, would I be better off having the car dealer serviced while under warranty?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Brakes and clutches are a wear item so I doubt there's anything which would have been covered in those area, other than mechanical failures.

Oil(+ ECU dump) HAS to be changed by a Lotus certified shop/dealer to retain the warranty at 1000miles(or so).... after that, you should be fine to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Over Document. Keep receipts show EXACTLY what product, factory approved, product you used.

Take pictures of work in progress.

Records are 90% of the battle. On an oil change if you show that you are using the correct 5/40 oil, factory filter (or at least a quality filter).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Oil(+ ECU dump) HAS to be changed by a Lotus certified shop/dealer to retain the warranty at 1000miles(or so).... after that, you should be fine to do it yourself.
Actually, you don't even have to let a dealer change the oil the first time - you can do it yourself. But you have to take it in for the (free) ECU dump to verify that is was broken in properly.

But most people (myself included) let the dealer do that first service, even if we do all the rest...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All services to date have been at the dealer. I am coming up on the next 6 month service which would be the thrid service. I am servicing at the 6 months intervals as I am not close in the mileage. It has engine oil and brake/clutch fluid for this service.
Actually, you don't even have to let a dealer change the oil the first time - you can do it yourself. But you have to take it in for the (free) ECU dump to verify that is was broken in properly.

But most people (myself included) let the dealer do that first service, even if we do all the rest...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts