The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good place to list a 2005 lotus Elise? Unfortunately I have to let mine go 馃槥

German Reimport
How about listing it here on the forum :scratchhead:

Super Moderator
I'll play the Devil's Advocate (if you add a "t" and an "a" to San, you get Satan (but also Santa)). A long time ago in the Air Force our workcenter received random 3-digit authentication codes from the Security Forces personnel. Mine happened to be 666. It was classified then, so nobody outside of our workcenter and the Security Forces knew, and I had to wait years to tell the story. But I digress.

I bought my Exige S from a forum member here. I got a great price. The member told me people were offering him land and a tractor and other such nonsense. He had been trying to sell it for months. I PM'd him and we talked shortly after. He said if I bought the car in the next two weeks, he wouldn't need to make a payment and he'd lower the price by a decent amount. The only car I've ever purchased that has appreciated in value, despite my modifications.

Some cars sell fairly quickly here, others don't. Some are overpriced, and typically you'll see a lot of views with no nibbles. That's a good sign the price is too steep.

The time of the year matters here. This time of year people are contemplating putting their toy away for the winter, and the upcoming holidays. They may also be "encouraged" to sell if they aren't driving their toy much. Usually it's a decent time of the year for buyers, and the closer to the end of the year the better. Spring is a better time of the year for sellers.

San

Registered
It depends on how badly you need to sell. If you want to sell quickly and without a headache & not dealing with people then BaT is the way to go. The Elises on there seem to be selling a little under market at the moment (although the last one made a strong price) but with the buyers fee they are probably close to market for the buyer. I recommend submitting your car and seeing what reserve they'll give you (they may let you negotiate it a little). If you're not comfortable with what you'll get out of it then you walk away and list it here or ebay - there is no harm in making the initial contact with BaT.

Registered
I tried to sell a Corvette on ebay a few years ago. The only offers were low-balls from people wanting to flip it. BAT will give you a quick sell (7 day auction and a few days to complete the transaction) but you better be active on their comment section (and have thick skin) if you want to get a decent price. Low mileage, unmodified cars seem to do well there.
I would put it on here, national audience of knowledgeable Lotus enthusiasts. Or take it to your local cars shows and put a for sale sign on it. I have a few people offer to buy mine at shows (and it is not for sale).

Registered
I bought mine from an Autotrader ad. Bring-a-trailer is great if you want to sell it quickly for 20% below market value.

Registered
My 2009 Elise Purist sold for $48,500 on craigslist.

Have patience, and don't let a site dictate what you sell your own damn property for!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone I will check out those suggestions and also maybe throw a post up with details on this forum to see if anyone is interested

Premium Member
List everywhere, here, craigslist, ebay.
Put lots of useful pics
Be rational in your expectations, but remember, price is not always the issue.

I see people lowering their price when they should be increasing their visibility

Registered
We picked up the Elise on ebay, snatched up the Europa here the first day it listed, and let go of the Evora here within four days at asking price.

Seems the common denominator was that the buyer really wanted that particular car. That color, that year, that model.

How rare or common or special is the car you are putting up for sale?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts