The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone who has done this be willing to share their favorites and what to avoid? The only reason I ask is that I put the car up for auction on eBay and I got a bid that met the reserve within hours of closing. The e-mail address for the buyer is in Argentina (yahoo.com.ar), s/he listed an address in GA and there is no one by that name in Marietta <sigh>

So, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a scammer and I want to stay as far away from that transaction as possible. It seems like the most interest was from cars.com but Hemming generated some leads as well. Problem is, they're mostly tire kickers or "I've got to sell my car before I can buy yours" types. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Russ

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
It's pretty hard for them to scam you when you are selling the car. The selling scams are when they don't even have the car in question, sell it well below market, but require a sizeable deposit that you will never see again.

Make sure to leave negative feedback as a non-paying bidder if they are just a joker messing with people's auctions.

I have sold a lot of cars online, but the last successful one on eBay was 12 years ago when I sold my Jim Clark Esprit for way more than I could have ever sold it for locally. But things have changed, and eBay stinks for selling cars.

I have had great luck with Autotrader.com, but with the Esprit, you need to hit all the usual suspects, Cars.com and AOL, etc.

My recommendation for a car like the Esprit is to build a stand alone website with lots of high res pics and all the details about the car. Put a link to that website in your ads.

And just be prepared to wait for the right buyer unless you are ready to fire sale the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i once saw MY car on ebay for sale, the scammer downloaded pictures from the dealer and faked the whole thing. he/she even researched the vin to know what state i live in.
it is possible to be an argentine in georgia, i know one! give her a call/e-mail, tell her to send you the money and/or come out and get the car with her money. otherwise it's for sale until.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Did you list it on the LT Lotus Cars for Sale section? That's always a good medium for sales which is read by many Lotus enthusiasts looking to buy one.

I agree with lotusespritse that you are more likely to be scammed when buying a car not selling one. I would suggest you ask for a $1,000 Paypal deposit with the balance to be a wire transfer within 7 days but keep the car on the market in the meantime just in case they're not a genuine buyer. Only let the car go when your bank has confirmed the wire transfer is good. Good luck!

·
Registered
576 Posts
We have sold quite a few cars of various types online. You can get scammed if not careful.
Major things to watch for is phony checks including official
Checks. Also counterfeit bills. Obviously more likely when dealing with foreign or non traditional buyers. Always get all money confirmed by the bank and make sure checks clear. Simply depositing a check is not the same as it clearing. Clearing can take several days.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
We have sold quite a few cars of various types online. You can get scammed if not careful.
Major things to watch for is phony checks including official
Checks. Also counterfeit bills. Obviously more likely when dealing with foreign or non traditional buyers. Always get all money confirmed by the bank and make sure checks clear. Simply depositing a check is not the same as it clearing. Clearing can take several days.
Good point. Always best to go with a wire transfer. That's much more fool proof than any form of check. Offer to pay the $20 for the wire if that's an issue so you have a piece of mind.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It would be easy to get scammed if you have not been selling on the internet for a long time, because as selling and buying on the internet has sorta become the norm, so have scams, and they have improved. If you have common sense though and dont believe something that is too good to be true, then you will be okay.

I good way to tell a scam is they email you and it makes no sense, and they use phrases like "best price" "final price" "I read your ad and you assure me its in good condition I am ready to buy now" (who in america says that without asking questions first?) then they say "I cant come in person I am a merchant marine on an off shore oil rig" or some other non sense. I was selling used European sport bikes online from about 1999-2010, I've heard it all. And the best part of the scam at all, they want to pay you more than you are asking for the vehicle so you can send them money back, friggin idiots, I feel like I need an auto response for them on my phone when they text me, because since texting is now the norm, scammers like to text, they are the same simple Simons that are super eager to get the latest Iphone so they can sit around with the other internet cafe jokers and make up stories as to why they cant come see your vehicle in person when they are going to pay thousands of dollars for it. Thats it im done! I hate online scammers, to me they are right up there with those teenage girls that wear those big sunglasses, you know the ones that give them a license to drive stupid when they pull out in front of you. I know anyone that has had an online business selling higher dollar items where you use your phone number as contact is feelin me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used GlobalAutoSports.com to sell my Elise. It was the only place I posted it, they re-posted it in several exotic forums like Ferrari, Porsche, etc. I was very satisfied with results.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
BTW in your July thread here about the car for sale, someone posted a warning that it was a scam because the car was described as having a four speed trans. Thought you'd want to know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sold an 2006 ZO6 corvette on ebay and year or so ago on EBAY. It took a lot of working through BS questions and several listing attempts, but in the end it worked fine. It just takes time to find a legit buyer. It was listed 4-5 times and it was so funny how there never seemed to be the same people looking evne though many said they wanted that particular color/etc.

You just need to look at Ebay as an advertising tool as we ended up doing the deal offline.

Setting a high deposit and short window for that deposit after the auction seemed to help keep outthe riff raff. FWIW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the encouragement; I DID get a lot of interest, although I noticed that several were in Central/South America (Costa Rica, e.g., and the guy who scammed me with the winning bid had a .ar domain name - Argentina). So maybe the scammers are moving from central Europe and Russia to tropical climes so they can sit on the beach and run their little scams... LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, e-spree; I'll check that out before I start posting on-line again and maybe pull out a few nuggets of wisdom to share on this forum. Forewarned is fore-armed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts