The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Should a seller give out a vin # to an out of town buyer over email. (They want to check Carmax.)

2. Should a seller wait for a cashiers check clear before releasing the title?

Any other advice you guys have on selling a car through ET?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
1. What will it hurt by doing so? I think that even if you pulled a Carfax yourself that it will show the VIN anyways.

2. Maybe. Or you could call the issuing bank to verify that the check is genuine. A (genuine) cashier's check is pretty much as good as cash.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If verifying the check don't use the phone number on the check. call the banks customer service on their website. or go to your bank and have them verify it.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Or if you're like me, insist on a Cashier's Check from an institution with a branch in your locale, no weird "I've never heard of that bank before" cashier's checks.

You can then bring the cashier's check, to a branch and have them verify the check is good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1. I've never had a problem giving out the VIN of cars I've sold, to people local or out of town. In fact I usually run the VIN myself and send them the carfax or autocheck report (which lists the VIN)

2. For payment and releasing the title, I've always preferred cash or wire transfer. I've done cashier's checks but only if I could meet the buyer at their bank and witness the teller making the check. But I suppose calling that bank to verify would be just the same.

3. What's ET? You asked about advice for selling a car through ET - at first I thought you might have fat fingered it, and meant LT, but L is no where near E.

HTH,
Larez2

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
3. What's ET? You asked about advice for selling a car through ET - at first I thought you might have fat fingered it, and meant LT, but L is no where near E.
Before it was LotusTalk, it was EliseTalk. I still pull up the forum by elisetalk.com - force of habit.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My favorite for deaing with the money is to open an account in the other person's bank. Both of you go in with the title in hand. You go to the teller and do a transfer from one account to the other. When the computer is happy that the money moved, buyer gets title on the spot. Bank should be able to notarize the title.

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 on the wire transfer, it's always worked for me and there can't be any surprises.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Cashiers checks can still be stopped or reversed , even upto two weeks after a deposit , so having them clear or a transfer is good but no guarantees.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I agree with CharlieX. That is why many Ebayers now have a wait time before shipping of 7-10 on Cashiers Checks just like they do with personal checks. When selling something of high value you must assume the buyer is a ripoff always; that is just the way it is nowadays. A buyer could offer fake ID info, even a 'real' cashiers check and then cancel it over a cell phone as he/she is driving away with your car. The only acceptable option is whatever it takes for a bank to tell you your money is free and clear. Sounds paranoid, but four years ago I got a bum cashiers check on a motorcycle sale. Goodbye Honda 1100!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts