The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Hope all is well. As many of you know, I bought a Lamborghini Diablo 2 months ago. My plan was, originally, to keep the Esprit. As the 2 months have passed I am realizing that I just don't have the time to drive both. With another baby on the way in November, I can't see me getting more time to drive. ;-)

So, rather than letting it sit or only getting it out every OTHER week, I am selling the Esprit. Someone else will love it. Let me know if you are interested or know anyone that it. I just put it up on Ebay minutes ago with a Buy It Now of $30k but I will entertain offers here.

This car has been AMAZING to own and has been problem free. Someone will get a REALLY nice car that will run like an Accord (as I stated in the ad).

Here is the ad address. Not sure if it will be up yet as I just posted it 10 minutes ago.

Lotus : Esprit:eBay Motors (item 200371845849 end time Aug-16-09 11:18:43 PDT)

Thanks,
Bill
(608)219-7396

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Hey all,

Hope all is well. As many of you know, I bought a Lamborghini Diablo 2 months ago. My plan was, originally, to keep the Esprit. As the 2 months have passed I am realizing that I just don't have the time to drive both. With another baby on the way in November, I can't see me getting more time to drive. ;-)

So, rather than letting it sit or only getting it out every OTHER week, I am selling the Esprit. Someone else will love it. Let me know if you are interested or know anyone that it. I just put it up on Ebay minutes ago with a Buy It Now of $30k but I will entertain offers here.

This car has been AMAZING to own and has been problem free. Someone will get a REALLY nice car that will run like an Accord (as I stated in the ad).

Here is the ad address. Not sure if it will be up yet as I just posted it 10 minutes ago.

Lotus : Esprit:eBay Motors (item 200371845849 end time Aug-16-09 11:18:43 PDT)

Thanks,
Bill
(608)219-7396
Was this the MY that had the liner issues in the engine? Was this taken care of? Don't see it mentioned one way or another in the ad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this the MY that had the liner issues in the engine? Was this taken care of? Don't see it mentioned one way or another in the ad.
I have heard that but haven't actually seen or heard of it happening since I have been an owner. I heard they had issues if they would overheat. This car doesn't have that problem. I would assume that, with 48k miles on the clock, the liners are not a concern. I could be wrong.

There was repair work done back in 2000 to the motor to the tune of $5500 where they pulled the motor. It was done by the 1st owner (it looks like) at North Coast Exotics in Ohio. They fully disassembled the motor and replaced 8 valves and 16 tappets. Also lists cylinder head bolts among a laundry list of things. A "gasket set" is also listed for $920. Nothing regarding piston heads or anything that would speak to timing belt failure. So maybe this was the fix for the liners?? I would assume that, if it was an issue in 2000, they would have used the right sealant when putting the motor back together. I could be wrong. Other can feel free to chime in.

I also forgot to add in the ad that the following have been replaced within the last 2 years:

Clutch - FULL kit not just a resurfacing of clutch. (5k miles old)
Slave Cylinder
Gear Output shaft
Gear oil - Redline
Timing belts and tensioners
Spark plugs
Brake fluid
Coolant (I added Water Wetter already)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see the bidding is already up to $10k. Not a shock at this point to see the bidding jump up to a number it won't sell for. I have recieved quite a few inquiries already though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bidding just hit $27k already. Legit bidders too. Each one has solid feedback and has talked to me.

The guy leading the auction is local and just called me tonight. I guess he has seen the car at Santana Row during one of our meets and wants to come pay cash tomorrow for it. He is coming by at 6:30 with cash in hand. There are 40 people "watching" my auction. Quite a bit of interest in it. Wish me luck.

I can't see him not wanting the car when he sees it and drives it. It is truly a great, problem free car and someone will be very happy.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Bidding just hit $27k already. Legit bidders too. Each one has solid feedback and has talked to me.

The guy leading the auction is local and just called me tonight. I guess he has seen the car at Santana Row during one of our meets and wants to come pay cash tomorrow for it. He is coming by at 6:30 with cash in hand. There are 40 people "watching" my auction. Quite a bit of interest in it. Wish me luck.

I can't see him not wanting the car when he sees it and drives it. It is truly a great, problem free car and someone will be very happy.
I can understand all the attention, she looks beautiful.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand all the attention, she looks beautiful.
Thanks!!

So, he came by tonight and LOVED the car. Brought his daughters with him. Nice girls. Took him around the car and showed him every part on it. We got in to take it for a test drive and he handed me a cashiers check to "hold onto". Ended up buying it and drove it home.

He wanted the O.Z. Futura wheels too so I sold those to him too. I had quite a few interested parties in those.

Gave him my Lotus jacket I was displaying in the garage along with my Lotus flag and Lotus chairs.

Man, I have to say, I watched it all the way down the road as it left and, for a second, had some MAJOR seller's remorse. Man, did it look and sound great. It is amazing how different the car looks when you aren't driving it.

I am going to seriously regret this one. I have sold a lot of exotic cars now in my time and this one just didn't feel good. My own fault though. I didn't have to sell it. Just didn't want it sitting around all the time while I was out in the Diablo.

Well, my Diablo is getting buffed and polished tomorrow for the shows and parties in Monterey this weekend. My black Murcie wheels go on tomorrow night. That should help console me. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts